PDA

View Full Version : North Idaho Elk Hunting - 2013 - and a joke

brotherjack
01-08-2014, 11:45 PM
This was the first year since I moved to Idaho that I actually had time and money and everything else together to go make a serious go at elk hunting. In 9 days of hunting, The Wife(™) and I saw 8 legal bull elk, which is nearly 3 times as many legal elk as we ever saw in 7 years of hunting in the EK (in all of which time I only ever saw 2). Those who say you'll never see any elk if it's not 6 point only have no idea what they're talking about (IMHO). There are 10 times more hunters down here, wolves way thicker, and we still saw elk almost every day, and bulls almost ever time we saw elk - all less than 3 miles from camp. Anyway, I digress…

We didn't know the area very well, so it was a learn-as-you-go proposition. We bumped elk back in thick/nasty timber quite a bit because we didn't realize where the hidey holes were. But by day 7, was pretty sure I was getting things figured out. For my afternoon hunt, I strapped on my pack and hiked in past a gate. The spot I was heading for was about a mile and a half in, and the plan was to sit there and wait till dark and see if they'd filter along the edge of a small clearing like they had several times earlier in the hunt.

The area was actually a large clear cut, one of only a couple of places in the vicinity where you could see a reasonable distance. It also had a lot of up/down to it, with as much as 500 feet vertical rise or drop over fairly short distances. I was only about a third of the way to my planned evening hunt, huffing and puffing hard as I worked my way up over the top of the highest knob in the cut, when I spied a cow elk right at the edge of the timber. I was a good 450 yards out, a solid 200 feet in elevation higher, and I was walking through waist high scrub brush, so I felt comfortable just getting a little low and making a quick sneak closer. About 380 yards out (said my rangefinder), as I am coming to edge of my good cover, I slowed way up and start glassing every few yards.

There are half a dozen cows filtering slowly along in the treelike, heading up the hill towards the very area I was planning to catch them at later tonight. I watched a while, and finally caught sight of an elk body that was a lot more blond than the cows around it. I couldn't see the head, but I was about 98% confident it was a bull just from the body color. If there hadn't been a cow up the hill that was obnoxiously blonder than her pals down the hill, I would have been 100% sure and just dropped the hammer as soon as I got setup for the shot. I even had a clean shot at the vitals, but without seeing the head, I wasn't confident to drop the hammer. And besides, it's more than 3 hours till dark, I'm hiked in way past a gate, haven't seen hide nor hair of another hunter back in here all day, so I've got all the time in the world.

I continue sneaking in, slow and easy now, until the rangefinder says I'm 328 yards from the elk I was pretty sure was a bull (and if it's a bull, it's legal around here). I'm standing up to see over some brush, peering into the binoculars as hard as I can, when I hear a quad off in the distance. There's a road that runs by the gate I just hiked past, it's not like a dead end or anything, so I don't worry about it for a second; probably just some hunter heading up the miles and miles of road that are farther in... Until about 90 seconds later when I realize that the sound is not fading off into the distance, it's coming up around the knob I'm standing on.

Yep, this idiot has finagled his quad around the gate, so his tender little feet don't have to get sore hiking a mile or two - how freaking awesome. I make a frantic attempt to get setup for a clean 328 yard shot, which is plenty do-able for me with this gun, if I'm setup right (heck, I do 12x12 steel targets out to 500 yards with this rig, comfortably). Key phrase there, though, is "setup right". I need a stump with a bag or coat for padding, or sticks, and I need to be prone or darn near it. The brush way to thick right where I was standing, so as the elk attentions were starting to focus on the approaching ATV, I took a few quick steps closer to a spot where I had a clean view, and a nice stump for a rest. I had dropped my pack on the stump, and was was just hitting my belly and swinging the gun up over the pack when they bolted.

Sure enough, that elk I'd been checking out was a bull. A nice chunky 5 point bull, I would have been more than happy with. He had friends too; a 3 or 4 point, and a 6 or 7 point that was as big as any elk I've ever seen on the hoof. I actually did get the scope on them as they hit the tree line at a gallop, but 300+ yards, at a moving animal, now with brush and tree trunks in the mix? Come on now - you know I just moved to Idaho, I didn't give up my ethics. Plus, I didn't want this jack-ape on the quad to hear me shoot and realize that there were elk in this clear cut. He never did figure it out. They were all gone before his quad came bouncing around the side of the knob. He meandered his way clear over to the far side of the clear cut almost a mile a way, and back.

One good thing did come of it though. It inspired me to write this joke:

"Driving around on a quad 'hunting' is kind of like having sex with a condom on; you may be in the bush and having some fun, but the equipment you're using is negatively affecting the potential for enjoyment for you, and everyone else in your immediate vicinity, and your odds of getting off a clean shot and bringing home a trophy are approximately zero."

Elk being elk, once they'd been bounced that hard, they were gone from the whole area, not to return that day, nor any of the remaining two days I had to hunt. So, as it all ended and I never did get to drop the hammer on one personally, but one of the guys of our hunting party had dropped one a few days earlier, to which I lent my expert deboning and back packing skills, so we all got some pretty good eating out of the adventure. He did manage to drop it 3 miles from the nearest spot we could get a truck/ATV, so we ended up packing in the dark till after 1AM, but hey - that's all part of the adventure! As long as I go home eating elk for another year, I'm a happy dude! :)

Anyway, that's the north Idaho elk hunting adventure from this year.

That's all, ya'll!

gunsight
01-09-2014, 06:33 AM
thanks for the read . good luck next year.

longwalk
01-09-2014, 07:20 AM
Good to see you you are back. i always enjoyed your stories. Good luck with the hunting.

hunter1947
01-09-2014, 08:46 AM
Good read nice to hear from you BJ ,,thanks for taking the time to post up your thoughts and hunt,,watts the wolf population like down your way ??? now I can see why you moved down that way LOL....

BCrams
01-09-2014, 09:04 AM
10 x more hunters? How's the habitat?

Curious if you could spare some of us the search. What was the regs for elk? I take it it wasn't 6 pt only? Season dates?

coach
01-09-2014, 09:56 AM
Great read. Thanks for sharing. I'm interested in the answer to BCRams' questions as well.

onpoint
01-09-2014, 11:44 AM
Thanks for posting Brotherjack...great little story. Would love to hunt Idaho someday.

gutpile
01-09-2014, 02:32 PM
Ok where is the joke ?

srupp
01-09-2014, 03:33 PM
Great to see you surface again from your own Eden....

cheers

Steven

Onesock
01-09-2014, 03:54 PM
How do we know this idiot on a quad as you put it was on it because he couldn't walk? Maybe he was a disabled hunter. You were hunting on open land that is open for all to hunt. Your hunt got interrupted, suck it up! We have had this discussion on here plenty of times just because you were there first doesn't make it your land, or that is what the majority of guys here think. Did you leave anything at the gate stating you were there hunting? I didn't think so.

brotherjack
01-09-2014, 04:31 PM
So, many moon ago, I put this guy Onesock on my ignore list for (then and now) obvious reasons. Today, I see he posted something on my thread, and so I'm curious and I think maybe it's been a few years, and he's saying he missed seeing me around or something, so I click the 'view anyway' bit. Wow, wish I hadn't done that. But since you posted all that crap, here goes.

Since he's standing on his quad to keep from getting bounced around as he drives by, I'm pretty sure he's not disabled. There was a CLOSED AND LOCKED GATE along with an official sign that said "no motorized vehicles" that he had to fanagle his quad around to get back into the area I was hunting (said fanagling would involve getting off the quad to perform said task, more proof he wasn't disabled), and while I admit, I was a bit annoyed at the time, I'm really not all that broke up about it, and I just thought some folks would enjoy the story and the joke. So.... yeah, I should just shut up about it, you're not really interested in the answers, you're just interested in being what you are...

Back on my ignore list, no more to click the 'view anyway' button.

brotherjack
01-09-2014, 04:45 PM
So, on to more interesting questions. I dunno exact numbers of hunters around here, but I see 10 times (or more) hunters in the woods in north Idaho than I ever did back in the EK. If you aren't willing to hike in a decent distance past a gate or into other access restricted area, your odds of not seeing a dozen or more hunters before the day is over are zero. Even if you hike in past gates, it wasn't unusual to see other folks on foot doing the same thing. I also find the habitat in North Idaho to be hugely distrubing after seeing forestry mangement practices in the EK. The tree huggers took over down here a long time ago, and there is a TON of un-managed forest, and NOT a ton of managed area with cuts/feed/etc for the critters.

The seasons are pretty open; they've had an open cow season something like every year for the last 30 years, with the exception of the last two, and bulls have always been just bulls-only. If it's got antlers, it's legal. Despite all that, there are a lot of elk, as I said, we saw them almost every day, and had 5 separate bull sightings (for 8 bulls total) over 9 days of hunting, in an area we more or less just picked out after looking at google earth for some clearcuts we thought would hold some feed. So, I'd say, definitely no shortage of them. :)

Season dates are a lot tighter - rifle season is Oct 10 - Oct 25th or somesuch (quoting from memory). Bow season runs through the peak of the rut, not sure of exact dates on it though.

So there you have it - what elk hunting looks like when you can shoot anything with horns. Not much different that I can tell, except I saw a lot more legal animals. :)

brotherjack
01-09-2014, 04:50 PM
Oh, and as for wolves, we heard a pack of them howling every night, saw plenty of fresh sign, and while I never personally laid eyes on one, one of the guys we hunted with who was running the other side of the mountain from us saw at least one, every day he hunted (if he was a better off-hand shot at 200+ yards, he'd killed a few, but... heheh). His hunting partner got surrounded in the dark one morning on the way in, and they snarled and snapped at him from about 40 yards out in all directions a bit, but they never came close enough for him to get a shot at any of them and moved out before daylight.

So yeah, lots and lots of wolves down here, insane numbers of wolves down here. The rumors are true.

Onesock
01-09-2014, 04:54 PM
Oh...it would have been good to have the whole story instead of just half it!

bugler
01-09-2014, 09:20 PM
Geez, north Idaho is closer to Cranbrook then Invermere is. I wonder why there seems to be so many more elk available there. Couldn't have anything to do with the short gun season/long bow season thing....maybe they've just done a better job of managing their winter range.

Coincidentally, an EK buddy of mine finished his forestry degree in Moscow, ID about 25 years ago. He befriended some other hunting type students and went along on a couple of weekend bow hunts, just as a caller/observer/potential packer. He told us that they were into elk from dawn til dusk, right off the highway. All sizes of bulls, just crazy action. Even in what might be considered our hey-day in the East Koots he found it to be way better just a few hours south.

budismyhorse
01-09-2014, 09:39 PM
8 bull elk in 9 days of hunting with 10x the hunters fighting over a 15 day season??!

Sounds like hell to me.

nice to hear a story from another jurisdiction though .... Thanks Brotherjack.... Sounds like your "luck" with elk in the EK is extending to Idaho as well;)..... funny how that works.

Sorry I don't normally post stuff like that but your pointed and disappointing comparison of the two different areas isn't very well done and or appropriate. You just seem like you need to continue to vent about the elk you couldn't kill in the EK.

Jim Prawn
01-09-2014, 09:46 PM
How do we know this idiot on a quad as you put it was on it because he couldn't walk? Maybe he was a disabled hunter. You were hunting on open land that is open for all to hunt. Your hunt got interrupted, suck it up! We have had this discussion on here plenty of times just because you were there first doesn't make it your land, or that is what the majority of guys here think. Did you leave anything at the gate stating you were there hunting? I didn't think so.

Regardless of legality, morality, and ethicality (is that even a word?..) I think the point is that he was pissed off that his hunt got messed up. It likely wasn't personal, but I can understand being upset at a lost opportunity because of someone else. A couple years ago some guys shot a nice buck out from under my ten year old son and I. I was literally just getting him lined up on it and these guys drove up in a truck and Boom! Down it went. Was I pissed off? Absolutely. Did I think nasty thoughts about them? Absolutely! Can I blame them? Absolutely not. There was no way they could have known we were there. Big difference between being pissed off and being pissed off at someone. However, if this individual was hunting illegally, then definitely good reason to be P.O.ed.
JP

bugler
01-09-2014, 09:47 PM
I don't know bud. Sounds like he went from seeing very few legal elk to seeing quite a few, in his first try. That sounds like a significant uptick in the "luck" department to me.

budismyhorse
01-09-2014, 09:59 PM
Nothing to do with luck...... Going from a 6pt area to any bull......

If you had a 2 week any bull season only in the EK the butcher shops would have to turn people away on day two.....

"No Choke"Lord Walsingham
01-09-2014, 10:23 PM
Thank you, Brotherjack, for an interesting and informative read. It is always enthralling to learn more about another jurisdiction along with hearing a good Hunting tale of qaulity time spent afield!

While unfortunate concerning the disruption to your Hunt by an unscrupulous, self centred rule breaker your tale is balanced by the help you provided your friend. It is always unfortunate when people get on these ATVs and such and conduct themselves terribly be it tearing up a river bank or going elsewhere they are not allowed to/should not be, something that happens far too often and gives the devices themselves a poor reputation. I am never happy when modern accoutrements appear in those rare and sacred spaces that are free of modern mess (ie cell phones, modern vehicles and such). The issue is not how one Hunts to me, it is where. There are plenty of fine places for utilizing vehicles in a Hunt for people who choose to do so.
The balance of this is surely the comraderie between Hunters, kindred spirits out enjoying the freedom of the wild and sharing a glorious bounty of splendid delicious Elk flesh! Ultimately, I suppose it is no real loss. None the less I do wish you all the best next time you are out in Idaho for Elk Sir.

brotherjack
01-10-2014, 09:47 AM
Bud - while I could certanly do without the extra hunters down here, to actually see legal elk on a regular basis while hunting, is 1,000% improvement in my eyes. I've always been in it for the steaks, and just the steaks. Hunting 9 days with a really good chance of coming home with meat (which we did, actually) beats the holy crap out of hunting 30 days (or to be fair, mornings) a year with a chance of even seeing a legal animal once every 90 days/3 years or so on average. And no, I wasn't wanting to 'vent', I'm long since over that, I just thought some folks here might find it interesting to see the comparison. Judging by other comments on this thread, I was right.

Though, for the record, I dont' see any more elk numbers in Idaho than I did in the EK. I would actually say I probably saw more total count of elk in the EK on an average season, and larger herds when I did see them. But (in my one season here I have for comparison) I see vastly more LEGAL elk down here, which is the big difference to me.

And last, also for the record, I'm sure butcher shops down here were turning them away too. The area we hunted had 2 or 3 elk a day hauled out of it that we were aware of, nevermind the ones we weren't (we were camped along side the main road out, and that was how many trucks we'd see going by with elk in the back on an average mid aftenroon while we were resting up for the evening hunt). The clear-cut where I did most of my hunting alone had 6 elk hauled out of it over the 7 days I hunted it (I hunted another spot the other 2 days), one of which was my buddys, which he nailed about 300 yards from where I was hunting. I do like them odds better, yes. :)

budismyhorse
01-10-2014, 09:02 PM
I see what your getting at BJ.....
Enjoy!

gutpile
01-10-2014, 11:35 PM
Why so many elk in Idaho compare the EK ? and yet you have a large wolf population down there.

brotherjack
01-11-2014, 12:18 PM
Gutpile - as I previously mentioned, I think the total elk numbers are higher up there, but the LEGAL elk numbers are higher down here, due to the season being any-bull. And yes, we have a distrubingly large wolf population down here, and they are having an impact. They used to have a cow season too for as far back as anyone can remember, and the wolf impact has cut the numbers enough that now it's bulls only.