PDA

View Full Version : Economic Impact of Bear Viewing and Bear Hunting in The Great Bear Rainforest of Bri

huff
01-08-2014, 10:07 AM
http://www.responsibletravel.org/projects/documents/Economic_Impact_of_Bear_Viewing_and_Bear_Hunting_i n_GBR_of_BC.pdf

interesting read.

Crab Bait
01-08-2014, 11:49 AM
Looks like it pays G/O's pretty well not to hunt grizzlies. pg 70. Nasty business!

adriaticum
01-08-2014, 11:54 AM
I hear grizzly bears taste awesome.

huff
01-08-2014, 12:03 PM
I've never tried it . I heard it isn't that great though!

coach
01-08-2014, 01:19 PM
Interesting quote from page 72:

Other hunters surveyed and interviewed blamed “the politics of grizzly hunting [that] forecloses the opportunity to hunt,” falling salmon stocks which is causing a decline in the grizzly population, or the BC governments’ “rough guesstimates” of the real size of grizzly population. As one hunter put it, “I don’t think the government’s got an accurate handle on any game in BC. I think there was a significant drop in grizzlies in 2008-2009” and “too many tags were issued on the Central Coast.”

The biggest challenge hunters face continues to be hunters. :evil:

Mathil
01-08-2014, 01:55 PM
It's hilarious to compare an unregulated and a regulated industry based on money.

Bear viewing is unlimited in the amount of people it can bring through the region.

Grizzly hunting is extremely regulated, with very few tags being given out in the area.

A more ore scientific examination would be to compare 30 grizz hunters and 30 viewers and compare the expenditures. I don't for a second believe that hunting in that region only employs 11 people... That's ludicrous.

I doubt they count other effects hunting has on the economy, like gear purchases, range memberships, ammo sales, etc. Essentially what it costs to be a hunter.

The craziest part is, they can both exist at the same time.

steel_ram
01-08-2014, 07:47 PM
Bet they don't use economics to argue against Enbridge's new pipeline.

Darksith
01-08-2014, 08:30 PM
break it down to a ratio and it will show in very clear and unarguable facts that the hunter will spend more than the tourist...every time, no doubt about it.