PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone know the condition of cypress creek and chowade trails?

canadianyoda
01-07-2014, 11:27 PM
Planning a hunt into the back end of one of these two areas. Planning on quadding in then backpacking. Anyone been in lately and can let me know what things look like.
Thanks in advance.

BCHunterFSJ
01-08-2014, 10:46 AM
LOTS of snow this year! I really do not think that quadding would work; need a snowmobile...

Elkiller
01-08-2014, 07:25 PM
When are you going? I was up the chowade in the fall, the bridge across the river washed out on the far side of the bridge now. There's probably a way across the river, I was fishing so i didn't look for one :mrgreen: good luck and happy trails!

Darksith
01-08-2014, 08:23 PM
I don't think there is a way to cross the river with anything other than a quad

canadianyoda
01-08-2014, 11:03 PM
When are you going? I was up the chowade in the fall, the bridge across the river washed out on the far side of the bridge now. There's probably a way across the river, I was fishing so i didn't look for one :mrgreen: good luck and happy trails!
Going up in August. Cypress is my first choice. I am waiting for some better maps to arrive. I went into MacDonald Creek two years ago but awfully busy. Last year my partner had an operation so no go. I have got the sheep bug pretty bad but the mountain bug even worse. Thanks for the info.

Sitkaspruce
01-09-2014, 07:52 PM
Both places are pretty busy, especially in Aug and late in Sept. Actually the whole east side of the rockies is busy from Aug to mid Oct, but you can find lots of places that people just do not go to, but you better be prepared to walk as if you can quad to it, so can everyone......

Cheers

SS

canadianyoda
01-09-2014, 09:41 PM
Both places are pretty busy, especially in Aug and late in Sept. Actually the whole east side of the rockies is busy from Aug to mid Oct, but you can find lots of places that people just do not go to, but you better be prepared to walk as if you can quad to it, so can everyone......

Cheers

SS
Totally agree, i just want to check out some new country. Do you know what the access is?
We were 18kms into the MacDonald so the hiking in is not a concern..

Sitkaspruce
01-10-2014, 07:57 PM
Access is truck only so far, then it is quad/feet from there. You will need to cross some creeks, which depending on the weather, can be easy or hard. The trails are rutted up and, to me, are in rough shape. But you will need to see for yourself and explore....which is all the fun anyways.

Cheers

SS

combine pilot
01-11-2014, 08:34 AM
If you try and go to the Chowade from the 95rd the bridge is washed out. To get across will greatly depend on water level the earlier you go the more difficult it usually is. You maybe better to go in the 143rd that way you can get to both trails if one is in passable. Cypress trail is very muddy and can be difficult. If going in August, moose will be the only thing that you will have a decent shot at. Elk in the Chowade not to many in the Cypress. Hunted the Chowade for 10 years never seen a sheep. Back in the 90's seen goats. Never hunted the Cypress as I was always told the trail is really bad. If you are willing to walk that far the Halfway, Sikanni, or Redfern trail may be better if you are looking for any chance of a sheep. Yes you are correct about the areas being busy but all trails are.

M.Dean
01-11-2014, 09:16 AM
This has very little to do with the question at hand, but I just remembered it, so here it is.I was at the Chowade River a number of years ago. We went in at Wonowon, drove forever, turned right way in there and were at the new bridge crossing the river. This was the first time my buddy had being in there on the new road, I guess to get to that spot on the river before, the guys had to take a trail quite a bit to the north, then travel south on some of the roughest, muddiest, ugliest road for miles around! Anyway, the year before some of the coastal boys went in on the new road, then hit the old road, I think it was a bit farther up from the bridge, and drove north for a couple of miles to there old camp site. A couple days latter they could hear someone coming in from the North, along the old trail, when the guy pulled into there camp he asked how long they'd being camped there, how's the hunting etc. One of the guys said they came in 2 days ago, the new comer said "That's Impossible"! I've being on the road for three days winch'in and shovel'in mud and there's no way you guys got around me without me seeing you! One of the group laughed and said "We came in on the new road, it's a lot nicer and a few days shorter than the old road! I guess this is why it pay's to buy up to date map's and the new BC Back road Atlas!!!