PDA

View Full Version : Are there hatchery raised sockeye? If not why?

russm
01-07-2014, 03:12 PM
I was talking to my brother a while ago about hatcheries etc and it came up that if you go to a hatchery you often see tank after tank of chum fry, niether one of us could remember seeing sockeye at a hatchery and I started wondering if they do sockeye or not, and if not why? It'd make sense to me to raise and release tons and tons of the salmon that there's less and less of every year. The diffence in sockeye population between now and 10 years ago is crazy, I've neve really noticed a major difference with chum though. I say raise a billion sockeye and let em go.

Wentrot
01-07-2014, 04:11 PM
Inch creek hatchery handles upper pitt sockeye...There is also a program for the cultus sockeye.

adriaticum
01-07-2014, 04:15 PM
Yes there are sockeye raised by hatcheries. Cultus Lake sockeye are clipped as well.

Foxtail
01-07-2014, 09:43 PM
I think the biggest difference is the sockeye runs a much bigger. Even if the hatcheries all did sockeye I don't think it would make much of a difference. Plus a couple years ago was that freak sockeye run... Biggest in 100 years.

coach
01-07-2014, 10:29 PM
I was talking to my brother a while ago about hatcheries etc and it came up that if you go to a hatchery you often see tank after tank of chum fry, niether one of us could remember seeing sockeye at a hatchery and I started wondering if they do sockeye or not, and if not why? It'd make sense to me to raise and release tons and tons of the salmon that there's less and less of every year. The diffence in sockeye population between now and 10 years ago is crazy, I've neve really noticed a major difference with chum though. I say raise a billion sockeye and let em go.

Yes, BC has many sockeye hatcheries. You must not have been paying attention a few years ago when we had the largest sockeye run in history migrate up the Fraser. 2014 is the cycle year for that run. Hopefully we have decent ocean survival and fish friendly water temperatures this summer. Should be another bonanza.

adriaticum
01-07-2014, 11:15 PM
Yes, BC has many sockeye hatcheries. You must not have been paying attention a few years ago when we had the largest sockeye run in history migrate up the Fraser. 2014 is the cycle year for that run. Hopefully we have decent ocean survival and fish friendly water temperatures this summer. Should be another bonanza.

I sure hope so. Keeps all the "sockeye fishermen" away from my fishing holes.

coach
01-07-2014, 11:18 PM
I sure hope so. Keeps all the "sockeye fishermen" away from my fishing holes.

Some people want to manage fishermen. Others want to manage fish. :-D

rides bike to work
01-08-2014, 08:03 AM
The cultus lake sockey have done a full rebound from the threat of extinction since the hatchery program has been implemented.
I wish hatchery programs where increased to give more fishing oppertunities.i also think some runs of salmon should be managed as a resident food fishery. Let me snag my limit and go home to feed my family. Not all people fish for "sport " and that is a fact jack

Wentrot
01-08-2014, 08:22 AM
The cultus lake sockey have done a full rebound from the threat of extinction since the hatchery program has been implemented.
I wish hatchery programs where increased to give more fishing oppertunities.i also think some runs of salmon should be managed as a resident food fishery. Let me snag my limit and go home to feed my family. Not all people fish for "sport " and that is a fact jack

You can catch sockeye without bottom snagging you know? Just takes a bit of brain and time usage which is a problem for most these days.

tubby
01-09-2014, 09:55 AM
Or the Internet heroes...who whenever they catch a fish feel the need to race home and put there face on the Internet...then the next day that area of river has got a shitload of people cause this person needed to be a hero.
pretty much sums up 95% of the lower mainland river fisherman aka FWR heroes. Sorry to get off topic

Wentrot
01-09-2014, 10:23 AM
You are correct-that website has ruined a few fisheries.Its amazing not seeing more than a person or two for years on a smaller system and the day or two after a fool makes a post its a full zoo.

tubby
01-09-2014, 10:37 AM
Exactly, freds is a perfect example of this. The fishing with rod idiots who care so much about getting pic that they will put a wild up on the rocks, out of the water just so they can get a pic. Finding dead wilds is horrible, just so these loosers can have their Internet fame. Some of the smaller lower mainland flows are a joke n because a few of these post pics. Another perfect example of this is the damage that pacific angler and FWR have done to the squamish area systems. Usually when I'm drifting this river I would see maybe 1 other boat and the odd few guys. Now there is 6/10 boats drifting in minimum 40 guys. All because these heroes and tackle stores whoring out a system at any cost so they an make a buck.

coach
01-09-2014, 10:43 AM
Exactly, freds is a perfect example of this. The fishing with rod idiots who care so much about getting pic that they will put a wild up on the rocks, out of the water just so they can get a pic. Finding dead wilds is horrible, just so these loosers can have their Internet fame. Some of the smaller lower mainland flows are a joke n because a few of these post pics. Another perfect example of this is the damage that pacific angler and FWR have done to the squamish area systems. Usually when I'm drifting this river I would see maybe 1 other boat and the odd few guys. Now there is 6/10 boats drifting in minimum 40 guys. All because these heroes and tackle stores whoring out a system at any cost so they an make a buck.

You see 6-10 boats and 40+ guys on a river that's located less than an hour from a city with a population of approximately 2.3 million people? Say it ain't so..

tubby
01-09-2014, 10:55 AM
This just changed within the last 2 yrs.

ru rancher
01-09-2014, 11:38 AM
wow iv heard enough bitching about it who cares if people now know your spot do you think they dont have the right to fish there just because you found it first?

Leaseman
01-09-2014, 12:46 PM
I wouldn't be slagging FWR unless you do as much for the fishery as Rod does....

As stated with 2+ million here all spaces are busy.....I, along with thousands of others have fished the Fraser for many years..... in fact, usual years I fish it 9 months of the year

weatherby_man
01-09-2014, 02:43 PM
I wouldn't be slagging FWR unless you do as much for the fishery as Rod does....

As stated with 2+ million here all spaces are busy.....I, along with thousands of others have fished the Fraser for many years..... in fact, usual years I fish it 9 months of the year

Agreed. Rod is a great advocate for fishery issues. Fred Helmer supports many initiatives on fishery issues, Pacific Angler as well. From the posts it seems that some have it in for anyone who promotes fishing or sells tackle. These folks support both the industry and resource with their time and money, what exactly does tubby do? We need more people fishing, not less and if you don't understand the economics of that please sit down and read up.

But on topic: Yes there are hatcheries raising sockeye.

coach
01-09-2014, 02:47 PM
Well said, Weatherby_man and Leaseman. The sockeye hatcheries and fisheries they support do a lot for filling people's freezers and taking pressure off other stocks. As mentioned earlier, we should expect to see a massive run in 2014. Let's hope mother nature gives the fish the chance they need.

Salty
01-09-2014, 03:15 PM
Some people need to figure out its about the fish not their own personal experience out on the river. They open up a river down there when they know there's enough fish in it to allow sport fishing within the very large population centre of the LML. That means a lot of fish obviously, leaving plenty to get up and spawn. If you have a problem with that there's always private rivers back east and in the US where you can pay and be guaranteed to be by yourself.

Mulehahn
01-13-2014, 12:50 PM
As has been mentioned, yes there are sockeye hatcheries. But sockeye are much more difficult to rear. They are much more prone to infection, require much more precise conditions, all things being right still may not survive unless river conditions at release are perfect. This makes them extremely difficult to rear and it comes down to funding. The reason that there is so many chum raised is because they are often used in system rehabilitation. Systems that have been devoid of salmon lack the proper nutrients and habitat. Chum are the most likely to survive these conditions. Unfortunately, in many systems Chum are facing a decline that rivals that of the sockeye and it does not receive near the same attention.

coach
01-13-2014, 12:56 PM
The reason that there is so many chum raised is because they are often used in system rehabilitation. Systems that have been devoid of salmon lack the proper nutrients and habitat. Chum are the most likely to survive these conditions.

Bingo!! :-D

albravo2
01-13-2014, 12:58 PM
Squamish is the same as everywhere else: fewer fish, fewer people. That changed this year when we were having an awesome year. I don't begrudge FWR for reporting it, just like I don't regret the number of times I've shared spots with people from HBC.

I'd still sooner fish here than drive through the city and stand on a truly crowded Vedder.

bogman
01-22-2014, 01:38 PM
Another way to think about hatchery raised sockeye raises this question. Should management areas be opened or closed for commercial or sports to protect man made runs even if those man made runs are miniscual in comparision to the big natural runs they travel with. This is the case with Cultis lake sockeye, there was never a natural run of sockeye in Cultis lake , fish were taken from a small run somewhere around Powell River and put into Cultis lake. Now when those fish don't come back in the number that DFO would like they shut down commercial and sports opportunities to try and save just a few Man made runs even if there is alot of opportunity on the big natural runs they are travelling with. Food for thought.