PDA

View Full Version : CO on global news

white moose
01-06-2014, 10:01 PM
Did anybody see this guy tonight. In tears over a cougar. What a wuss. :-D

bearvalley
01-06-2014, 10:10 PM
Watching that explains why he never was any good dealing with a predator problem. Maybe Kenny packs a PETA card or is a member of Rainforest. Should have retired him rather than ship him south. Lol.

adriaticum
01-06-2014, 10:19 PM
OMG that was funny

http://globalnews.ca/news/1065630/watch-cougar-concerns-in-coldstream/

wrenchhead
01-06-2014, 10:26 PM
Really? That's like me crying because I sawed a log at the mill. It's his job.

TARCHER
01-06-2014, 10:33 PM
Really? That's like me crying because I sawed a log at the mill. It's his job.

He's a young guy filled with emotion.

500grhollowpoint
01-06-2014, 10:40 PM
I get it. That doesn't mean I didn't laugh a bit when I watched it, but I totally get it. He didn't become a co to kill wildlife, he wanted to save them.

bearvalley
01-06-2014, 10:43 PM
He's a young guy filled with emotion.

Hes been around way to long. Pretty classy show. His boss should get him to hand in his sidearm. A guy with those kind of emotions is dangerous out in public packing a loaded handgun. Lol

Darksith
01-06-2014, 10:44 PM
he didn't even kill it, it was just the thought of doing it...wow

Glenny
01-06-2014, 11:13 PM
He got pretty verklempt.

snowhunter
01-06-2014, 11:38 PM
Does he approve hunters killing animals ?

labguy
01-06-2014, 11:42 PM
I can't believe some would ridicule a man for losing it like he did. That Cougar was drawn to the area because some dip shit citizen is feeding deer in a residential area which is attracting those cats.

It's an unnecessary waste of wildlife and he let his frustration and emotion get out of control........doesn't necessarily make him a bad person or any less of a man.

Surely we can be better than this.............

bearvalley
01-06-2014, 11:43 PM
He got pretty verklempt.

I guarentee he won't be emotional if he ever pulls you over in a game check. He would ticket his own mother. Kelowna is welcome to have the red headed wonder.

Johnny G1
01-06-2014, 11:43 PM
I can't believe some would ridicule a man for losing it like he did. That Cougar was drawn to the area because some dip shit citizen is feeding deer in a residential area which is attracting those cats.

It's an unnecessary waste of wildlife and he let his frustration and emotion get out of control........doesn't necessarily make him a bad person or any less of a man.

Surely we can be better than this............. X2 100% I feel the same.

bearvalley
01-07-2014, 12:01 AM

Surely we can be better than this.............

Don't be to defensive unless you know the man. Kelownas had him about 6 months. We had him 15 years +. Good transfer. No loss. Lol.

gutpile
01-07-2014, 12:18 AM
I wonder how he would react when he sees died game ?

adriaticum
01-07-2014, 12:28 AM
It's like having a vet who is squeamish when he sees blood.

adamgarbett
01-07-2014, 02:49 AM
At least ya know he is gunna nail useless poachers to the cross 😤

Kudu
01-07-2014, 06:28 AM
What a a big girls blouse - watching that video - he is in the wrong profession it seems!

Rackem
01-07-2014, 06:59 AM
Geez --the man must be a real pariah or something, I don't know him at all, but it seems awfully harsh to be so hard on the guy for being emotional. There could be other things in his life that are affecting him, and it just triggered by the sad thought of having to kill a cat due to people's behavior.

This time of year especially, it is good to err on the side of kindness, many people feel pretty down after the holidays. Maybe he made himself unpopular due to heavy handed enforcement, but he still is a fellow human. What happened to all the Love and Joy promoted at Christmas time? Evaporated already I guess...

buckshot
01-07-2014, 07:32 AM
<This time of year especially, it is good to err on the side of kindness, many people feel pretty down after the holidays. Maybe he made himself unpopular due to heavy handed enforcement, but he still is a fellow human. What happened to all the Love and Joy promoted at Christmas time? Evaporated already I guess...>

Well said Rackem!

Danny
01-07-2014, 08:36 AM
Maybe his mother was a cougar ?:-D

Big Lew
01-07-2014, 08:38 AM
Geez --the man must be a real pariah or something, I don't know him at all, but it seems awfully harsh to be so hard on the guy for being emotional. There could be other things in his life that are affecting him, and it just triggered by the sad thought of having to kill a cat due to people's behavior.

This time of year especially, it is good to err on the side of kindness, many people feel pretty down after the holidays. Maybe he made himself unpopular due to heavy handed enforcement, but he still is a fellow human. What happened to all the Love and Joy promoted at Christmas time? Evaporated already I guess...

Agree, "Rackem", I don't know the fellow, or his professional work history (good or bad) so don't believe most of us are in the position to cast judgement on his ability to do his job. Some, like me, don't show or have much emotion in relation to killing animals, but some people are very sensitive and emotional on the surface but are very capable when the chips are down.

r106
01-07-2014, 08:50 AM
I admit when I watched it I chuckled and thought WTF. But it's kinda harsh for some of you guy's to roast him like that on on here. But if making fun of him makes you feel better about yourself??

Grow up.

Onesock
01-07-2014, 08:54 AM
Those hormones he is taking are out of control.

r106
01-07-2014, 08:55 AM
It's like having a vet who is squeamish when he sees blood.

?? worst analogy ever.

It's more like a vet who doesn't like to put down animals. Kind of understandable don't you think? I mean people usually get into these kind of jobs because the love animals

olympia
01-07-2014, 09:02 AM
like rackem said "kindness has evaporated because the holidays are over", people on this site looking to spew their disgust and emptiness in themselves by making fun of others. But that only makes you feel good for a second and then you need your next fix so you do it again to soneone else.

Salty
01-07-2014, 09:09 AM
First off I'm not calling this guy down in any way. But I have to say the culture of COs sure has changed in the last decade probably mainly to do with all the cut backs and that there isn't enough of them to actually get out there and do the traditional field work like they should. There should be training for them it seems so as to learn how not to personalise their work like other LEOs and emergency medical people would receive. Or maybe more thought put in to this kind of thing and whether not potential hires have these traits naturally. But it seems now they want people that can handle tons of emails and learn how to not respond to most calls as there's no way they can.

Sorry for the rant and again no disrespect to any CO here. But things have sure changed I spent quite a bit of time working around COs in the late 90s and early 2000s and these guys were pumped to get out there and respond to any calls, all calls and the hairier the better type of deal. These traits don't seem to be very important to upper mgt of the CO service trying to make it work with no budget.

adriaticum
01-07-2014, 09:12 AM
?? worst analogy ever.

It's more like a vet who doesn't like to put down animals. Kind of understandable don't you think? I mean people usually get into these kind of jobs because the love animals

Yeah ok, I kind of agree.
That's the whole problem. If someone gets into CO job just for the "love" animals they are in the wrong profession.
They should join a local rescue. I find most urban "animal lovers" who don't experience real life situations have a hard time with concepts of birth, death, eating meat, killing for food, survival etc.
So many today are just sheltered like that.
Conservation Officer job is environmental and wildlife conservation and protection and law enforcement, not really "animal loving". Loving animals is a good prerequisite for the job but not the main purpose.
I have always loved animals more than anyone I know, but I won't blame the tiger for eating an antelope.
Maybe he is just new and he'll get over it. Killing anything is difficult for some people.
Just because we make fun of him doesn't mean he doesn't do a good job or that he is not a good guy.
We just make fun of him.
I make fun of me too.

Steve W
01-07-2014, 09:14 AM
I'd like to see you guys be hounded by the media day in and out, have your decisions and actions questioned and criticized by people hiding behind aliases on social media sites and not get frustrated. CO Owens no issued putting down animals when needed. I've worked with him many times.

BearValley. Feel free to PM your name. I'll ask 20-30 CO's around the province for an opinion of you and post it on line here. Of course we won't use real names, facts or anything.

white moose
01-07-2014, 09:19 AM
Yeah ok, I kind of agree.
That's the whole problem. If someone gets into CO job just for the "love" animals they are in the wrong profession.
They should join a local rescue. I find most urban "animal lovers" who don't experience real life situations have a hard time with concepts of birth, death, eating meat, killing for food, survival etc.
So many today are just sheltered like that.
Conservation Officer job is environmental and wildlife conservation and protection and law enforcement, not really "animal loving". Loving animals is a good prerequisite for the job but not the main purpose.
I have always loved animals more than anyone I know, but I won't blame the tiger for eating an antelope.
Maybe he is just new and he'll get over it. Killing anything is difficult for some people.
Just because we make fun of him doesn't mean he doesn't do a good job or that he is not a good guy.
We just make fun of him.
I make fun of me too.

Well said. Still laughing thinking about it.

bearvalley
01-07-2014, 10:04 AM
I'd like to see you guys be hounded by the media day in and out, have your decisions and actions questioned and criticized by people hiding behind aliases on social media sites and not get frustrated. CO Owens no issued putting down animals when needed. I've worked with him many times.

BearValley. Feel free to PM your name. I'll ask 20-30 CO's around the province for an opinion of you and post it on line here. Of course we won't use real names, facts or anything.

What is it Steve W, time to circle the wagons and call in the troops. I agree if you do your CO poll there's a few won't like me. But there are some I call a friend. Actively working and retired. Maybe I'm judgemental based on their personal ability and how they interact with people, but that's how it is. I don't think you want to get into a personal mudsling on here. A couple of the boys could get more embarrassed than what we saw last night. And no
, I'm not a poacher getting my shots in. In fact I've never had a wildlife violation. If you want PM me a phone# and we can carry on the conversation.

the hopper
01-07-2014, 10:09 AM
Hey! Its Kahla! Small world lol.

Steve W
01-07-2014, 10:11 AM
No wagons at all, just don't like to see a friend slammed on the net by people with an axe to grind. My work number is 250-371-6274 - it public so no need to PM it. Not around much today, but call anytime.

Sofa King
01-07-2014, 10:20 AM
lotsa butthurt on here. im not questioning his character, but it was hard not to laugh seeing that last night. i actually thought he was getting the sniffles from a cold, then realized he was breaking down. even if he was a close friend of mine, id still be razzing him for that one.

BigfishCanada
01-07-2014, 10:38 AM
We are all in favor of putting down nuisance wildlife, but what you don't know is that 400 city tree huggers shat all over CO's whenever an animal is disposed. They deal with nutcases daily threatening them as animal killers.

Every recent CO I have dealt with recently are top notch guys, the more they can hang around my neck of the woods the better I feel that the lowlife poachers wont be around.

PS. If he was a friend, id razz him also, but whatever,

adriaticum
01-07-2014, 10:53 AM
We are all in favor of putting down nuisance wildlife, but what you don't know is that 400 city tree huggers shat all over CO's whenever an animal is disposed. They deal with nutcases daily threatening them as animal killers.
Every recent CO I have dealt with recently are top notch guys, the more they can hang around my neck of the woods the better I feel that the lowlife poachers wont be around.

Actually tree huggers are easy to deal with.
If there is a dangerous animal in the community and someone is complaining about killing it, leave it.
Have a public forum and democratically decide if the animal is to be put down or not.
If it's decided that the animal will not be put down just let it be.
People love democracy and being involved in making decisions.
So if someone gets hurt, they know who is responsible. It was their decision.
Put the responsibility back on them.
You'd see a big change in attitude in a hurry.
Everyone wants the f'n government to take care of them.
People have no concept of the government.

srupp
01-07-2014, 11:23 AM
hmmm feel I can offer my perspective on the officer. He is a most excellent C.O. with exceptional skills along with Van Dam in cougar tracking .I have know Ken for 15 years and watched him mature both as a man and as a conservation officer .He was stationed in Williams lake for those 15 years . DO NOT judge the man by his expression of tears , he is a capable get the job done individual..perfect..no but good yes . I have had interactions as a hunter with this C.O. all have been positive...
I understand the macho hunter role however some of these comments cross the line..and many are just opinions based on one sound bit from TV..not the man I know from his many years of dedicated service...

my .02

Steven Rupp

Williams Lake

LBM
01-07-2014, 11:26 AM

What is a nuisance animal, a cat walking down a street is considered a nuisance, just because someone is scared it should be killed.

Fella
01-07-2014, 11:42 AM
It was walking near an elementary school. I don't know about you but if it were my kids school it was hanging out at I wouldn't want to take any chances. One of my buddies brothers was killed and dragged off by a cougar that was hanging out near their school.

Big Lew
01-07-2014, 11:54 AM
hmmm feel I can offer my perspective on the officer. He is a most excellent C.O. with exceptional skills along with Van Dam in cougar tracking .I have know Ken for 15 years and watched him mature both as a man and as a conservation officer .He was stationed in Williams lake for those 15 years . DO NOT judge the man by his expression of tears , he is a capable get the job done individual..perfect..no but good yes . I have had interactions as a hunter with this C.O. all have been positive...
I understand the macho hunter role however some of these comments cross the line..and many are just opinions based on one sound bit from TV..not the man I know from his many years of dedicated service...

my .02

Steven Rupp

Williams Lake

Thanks for offering your perspective Steve. As I earlier suggested, only those that have known or dealt with the fellow are qualified to pass judgement on his abilities to do his job satisfactorily, or to be in his line of work.
I'll bet many on this site get emotional when watching a tear jerking movie etc. Does that mean that they shouldn't be watching those type of movies any more?

white moose
01-07-2014, 12:05 PM
This thread wasn't about his abilities to do his job, but more of him looking like an emotional women. He proved that in his 30 seconds of fame. I'm sure he's a good guy, but talk about choking in the spot light. Still making me laugh. Everyone I know thought the same.

coach
01-07-2014, 12:20 PM
Some comments from Castsnet:

Amber bourne • 13 hours ago −
Officer Owens, I was moved by your compassion for your job and the wildlife and people you protect. Thank you for dealing with something I would never want to have to do. It's obvious that the responsibility of such difficult tasks takes a toll on you. I hope you read this, you're doing an amazing job, and you should be reminded of that. I appreciate all that you do.
1 •Reply•Share ›

Grant_in_Kelowna • 15 hours ago −
Officer Owens deserves a freaking medal for having to kill these majestic animals. The compassion he shows should be the key value that every officer should strive to have as the number one principle of duty. The harsh reality he faces without a doubt in the facts of his job is amazing! To all the people who think that they know better should spend a day in his shoes and see the consequences of their ignorance.
1 •Reply•Share ›

Fella
01-07-2014, 12:22 PM
Nvmd. Foot in mouth disease.

goatdancer
01-07-2014, 12:24 PM
This thread wasn't about his abilities to do his job, but more of him looking like an emotional women. He proved that in his 30 seconds of fame. I'm sure he's a good guy, but talk about choking in the spot light. Still making me laugh. Everyone I know thought the same.

An "emotional woman"? Maybe Rackem will deal with that topic. Because the guy shows emotion about killing creatures, some of you berate him. Having compassion for wildlife is an honourable trait, something that seems to be lacking in many of the posts.

Rackem
01-07-2014, 12:25 PM

"Emotional woman" hmm? Men have emotions too. And only real men are brave enough to show them.

I have far greater respect for a man who is in touch with his emotions and can own them than the perpetually "angry" display of a lot of men who are repressing and controlling their feelings at all times.

I don't cry when I kill an animal, but I do feel a bit of sadness for a moment. I respect the animal that gave its life, and I am grateful towards it.

Ozone
01-07-2014, 12:28 PM
I see many of the dinks are still posting on HBC

labguy
01-07-2014, 12:29 PM
I don't think this has anything to do with anyone's right to express an opinion.

It's about publicly ridiculing a man who got caught on camera in a very human moment.

I don't see anything manly or macho about hiding behind some internet alias and then dog piling on the guy just to puff up their own egos......more like grade 10 girl behavior.

There's more to being a man than standing up to pee.

Ambush
01-07-2014, 12:32 PM
"Emotional woman" hmm? Men have emotions too. And only real men are brave enough to show them.

I tried to "get in touch with my feminine side" back when that was popular. It worked so good I got a yeast infection. :confused:

Not doing that again; too embarrassing at the drugstore. :(

adriaticum
01-07-2014, 12:34 PM
I think this thing has ballooned into more than just an unexpected moment on TV.

Ok here is something we are allowed to laugh at.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=htB261PeRzU

BigSlapper
01-07-2014, 12:43 PM
agreed ...

I don't think this has anything to do with anyone's right to express an opinion.

It's about publicly ridiculing a man who got caught on camera in a very human moment.

I don't see anything manly or macho about hiding behind some internet alias and then dog piling on the guy just to puff up their own egos......more like grade 10 girl behavior.

There's more to being a man than standing up to pee.

TheProvider
01-07-2014, 01:00 PM
He probably shouldve been laughing or getting a hard on over the situation right?

Typical comments from a few of you. Like others have said, easy to sit behind your comp and redicule and make fun of others.

Rackmastr
01-07-2014, 01:07 PM
Typical comments from a few of you. Like others have said, easy to sit behind your comp and redicule and make fun of others.

Hahahaha....you spelt ridicule wrong!! You suck!!!

LOL.....totally just kidding. You're right though that this thread shows how easy it is for people to sit behind a screen and act tough.

white moose
01-07-2014, 01:10 PM
Nobody is acting tough. But come on, that was pretty funny.:-D

steel_ram
01-07-2014, 01:17 PM
Must be one of the most thankless frustrating jobs going. People vent it in different ways, shedding a few tears isn't the worst. Though he doesn't strut around in camo, I suspect he's probably not the pussy many portray him as.

goatdancer
01-07-2014, 01:26 PM
Nobody is acting tough. But come on, that was pretty funny.:-D

You got a "different" sense of humour.

white moose
01-07-2014, 01:43 PM
I know. Thank god we all aren't the same. Sick and twisted has come up before. lol.

Walksalot
01-07-2014, 03:06 PM
Watching the eyes of an animal go from bright to that blank cloudy stare is one of the most heart wrenching things one can witness. That CO probably has more intestinal fortitude than some of the "he men" posting here. When the fertilizer hits the ventilator you will never, in my opinion, have to look behind you to see if a person of that character is backing you because he will be standing right beside you.

BCrams
01-07-2014, 04:39 PM
Most men on here would cry if they ever saw some of the animals this CO has taken.

butcher
01-07-2014, 04:55 PM
Most men on here would cry if they ever saw some of the animals this CO has taken.

Yep. Internet heroes

troutseeker
01-07-2014, 05:13 PM
Well, I know Ken and he's a good guy. And he has no issues with putting animals down when required.
There had to be something else going on in his life.

Mind you, just standing near Gaffney is enough to make even Chuck Norris cry...

adriaticum
01-07-2014, 05:25 PM
Well, I know Ken and he's a good guy. And he has no issues with putting animals down when required.
There had to be something else going on in his life.

Mind you, just standing near Gaffney is enough to make even Chuck Norris cry...

Chuck Norris never cries.
He doesn't even have tear glands.
Don't you forget that.

Sitkaspruce
01-07-2014, 05:32 PM

my .02

Steven Rupp

Williams Lake

All good posts!!!!

I went to college with Ken, along with a few other CO's and have the utmost respect for him and the others. Most guys who bad mouth someone either are pi$$ed off because they or their cousin, whom they married, crossed paths with said person and got caught not playing by the rules. They whined and cried to be let off and it did not work, so lets start bad mouthing them when ever they can.

So easy when sitting in your tighty whities with a glass of wine and candles while on line......

To be serious though, who really cares???? If people are watching and commenting about stiff like this, their life is not that fullfilling.

Cheers

SS

dino
01-07-2014, 05:59 PM
?? worst analogy ever.

No, they are usually wanna be cops.

TheProvider
01-07-2014, 06:06 PM
[/B]

No, they are usually wanna be cops.

lol read Sitkaspruce comment

Haters everywhere. No reason to hate them if your playing by the rules

dino
01-07-2014, 06:12 PM
lol read Sitkaspruce comment

Haters everywhere. No reason to hate them if your playing by the rules
LOL. Certainly not a hater but I do find most CO's amusing. Ive had some beer pored out by a CO before, You should have seen me cry.:-D

BlacktailStalker
01-07-2014, 06:35 PM
I feel a little embarassed for him more than anything, it does seem 'odd' but whatever, you don't know what other things the guy has going on in his life. Certain words trigger a thought that could be completely non related but trigger an emotional thought of something in his life.

As in hunted and shot himself?

I'd hope so, the CO's, CI's and biologists are the most educated and knowledgeable hunters in the province (If they hunt)
IF they have the skill set, it would be expected. That being said just cuz someone has knowledge doesn't mean they can put it together.
Point me in the direction of an area with hammer ________ and I'll make most everyone cry too :)

I've never met a bad CO... they're taught to talk but that's their job, to look for holes in your story but most all I have talked to have been great. It's good to see them out.

ru rancher
01-07-2014, 06:43 PM
haha im not surprised if any of you have dealt with kenny owens before the crying wouldnt surprise you one bit

aggiehunter
01-07-2014, 06:55 PM
barrel....bottom....scrape....

dana
01-07-2014, 07:06 PM
Some real class acts here. i wonder if some of you ever graduated from preschool.

I wonder if anyone ever considered that just a week ago they lost a CO hound to a backyard lion in Kamloops. You think maybe this CO might be cringing at the thought of turning out another companion and friend to possibly encounter the same fate. Every houndsman that has ever lost a dog to a lion knows exactly what I'm talking about.

Bugle M In
01-07-2014, 07:08 PM
Didn't watch much of the clip, looked at a few posts..
Just have to say, most of the CO's are great.
Ran into one I know up in the Koots this Sept., and got to meet a few of the others, while they were blitzing for a few days.
Glad to have them working on our behalf.
Granted, I do recall 1 CO that was difficult, like with all things, there can always be a bad apple.
CO being upset??...so what....doesn't make him a bad CO....just my thoughts.
BMI

ru rancher
01-07-2014, 07:19 PM
nothing rong with being upset but the problem with this particular CO is you never know what your going to get sometimes he is very friendly and easy to deal with other times the complete opposite. of course we all have are bad days but if that is 50 percent of the time it starts to annoy the poeple he works with.

adriaticum
01-07-2014, 07:59 PM
Didn't watch much of the clip, looked at a few posts..
Just have to say, most of the CO's are great.
Ran into one I know up in the Koots this Sept., and got to meet a few of the others, while they were blitzing for a few days.
Glad to have them working on our behalf.
Granted, I do recall 1 CO that was difficult, like with all things, there can always be a bad apple.
CO being upset??...so what....doesn't make him a bad CO....just my thoughts.
BMI

No he started crying out of the blue. Nobody was questioning his service or integrity.

yamadirt 426
01-07-2014, 08:10 PM
One of the toughest guys around town when i was growing up would shed a few tears before he got into a fight. I dont think he ever lost one. Crying doesnt make you a pussy. Maybe it sucks he was caught on tv but whatever. Good thing this guy doesnt give 2 shits about some internet clowns or at least he shouldnt.

Big7
01-07-2014, 08:57 PM
if he can't control his emotions on tv or an interview, how is he going to control them when he is in the field? Not saying that CO's should be numb to the norm but...come one, crying over a cat and it's potential to hurt someone? Do your job and catch the thing, dispatch it and move on - be the hero not the sally.

If a person is that quick to shed a tear over something as mundane as this well...I'd hate to see the opposite reaction when he gets aggitated!

Bugle M In
01-07-2014, 09:02 PM
nothing rong with being upset but the problem with this particular CO is you never know what your going to get sometimes he is very friendly and easy to deal with other times the complete opposite. of course we all have are bad days but if that is 50 percent of the time it starts to annoy the poeple he works with.

okay, AS I said, I too had a not so wonderful experience once with a CO.
yes, I thought his attitude was poor and not very understanding of the situation.
Luckily, I have for the most part, experienced great CO's.
If I was having bad experiences continuously, then I guess I would be the real problem.
We can all have bad days, and personal hardships....all speculation to what was up with his emotions.
Lets move on...hey...nobody got hurt or wronged in this case....leave him be.
Next thread anybody???

gitnadoix
01-07-2014, 09:18 PM
Really that's what you take from that display.......whole crap I would say based on his obvious emotional investment in his job I would also imagine that if there was an animal taken outside the rules this man would be like a starving dog on a T-Bone steak getting to the person responsible. So I am glad he chose the career he did at least he is one of the people who decided to try and be some one who tries and do some thing for wildlife with his career. .

srupp
01-07-2014, 09:18 PM
hmmm as to the question yes Ken has harvested some amazing big game animals...

cheers

Steven

gcreek
01-07-2014, 09:38 PM
Some real class acts here. i wonder if some of you ever graduated from preschool.

I wonder if anyone ever considered that just a week ago they lost a CO hound to a backyard lion in Kamloops. You think maybe this CO might be cringing at the thought of turning out another companion and friend to possibly encounter the same fate. Every houndsman that has ever lost a dog to a lion knows exactly what I'm talking about.

If he was the houndsman he was supposed to be, he wouldn't have been tracking a dog killing cat with only 2 hounds. His "professionalism also shouldn't have caused him to empty a 9mm pistol into different parts of the cat and background causing it to run off and thankfully die of it's wounds rather than be a wounded cat wandering the neighborhood.

We ARE all human but............

Jim Prawn
01-07-2014, 09:46 PM
Maybe he was just holding in a bad fart? Regardless, thats a mounter for sure. Cougar too.
JP

gcreek
01-07-2014, 09:49 PM
Never had any dealings with Ken Owens but I am aware that he is one of the reasons a lot of other ranchers have given up calling the COS for help in mitigating predators. He may have meant well but wasn't the man for the job.

As for professionalism of other CO's, I have in print, a bald face lie, written by a CO to our Cattlemen's Asso. this past Dec. We are dealing with it.

kgs
01-07-2014, 10:03 PM
That's the funniest thing I have ever seen a CO crying seriously it looked and sounded fake and staged

dana
01-07-2014, 10:20 PM
If he was the houndsman he was supposed to be, he wouldn't have been tracking a dog killing cat with only 2 hounds. His "professionalism also shouldn't have caused him to empty a 9mm pistol into different parts of the cat and background causing it to run off and thankfully die of it's wounds rather than be a wounded cat wandering the neighborhood.

gcreek,
Never got into it with you before, have always held my tongue when you spew your crap, but this one I need to respond to. Do you really think there is a bunch of money out there to buy several packs of hounds, feed and house them year round and pack them all over the province everytime a lion shows up in a neighbourhood or on some cranky rancher's property??? Seriously give your head a shake. 2 hounds are more than enough to do the job. I'm sure there have been times they've had to do with only one hound too.

It is interesting that this guy shows real emotion and you guys rip him but you praise each other when you come on here and cry and whine like pussies that you didn't get a deer so it must be the ministry's fault. People cry on this site daily and you guys think it's great. Guys that are supposed to be ruff and tuff trophy hunters bitching and moaning and crying the blues cause they didn't see a big buck this season. It is bloody pathetic.

pete_k
01-07-2014, 10:30 PM
That was unprofessional.
He needs to sort out why it happened and get a hold of himself.
Good grief!

gcreek
01-07-2014, 10:43 PM
gcreek,
Never got into it with you before, have always held my tongue when you spew your crap, but this one I need to respond to. Do you really think there is a bunch of money out there to buy several packs of hounds, feed and house them year round and pack them all over the province everytime a lion shows up in a neighbourhood or on some cranky rancher's property??? Seriously give your head a shake. 2 hounds are more than enough to do the job. I'm sure there have been times they've had to do with only one hound too.

It is interesting that this guy shows real emotion and you guys rip him but you praise each other when you come on here and cry and whine like pussies that you didn't get a deer so it must be the ministry's fault. People cry on this site daily and you guys think it's great. Guys that are supposed to be ruff and tuff trophy hunters bitching and moaning and crying the blues cause they didn't see a big buck this season. It is bloody pathetic.

This CO proved that 2 hounds weren't enough for this particular cat...... or did you miss that fact.

There are also several GOOD houndsmen in this province that would gladly kill these problem cats for a lot less money than it took to bring those 2 dogs all the way from the good ol' USA and pay for their keep. I believe one of them who is an occasional poster here even had a CO interfere with a legal hunt for a problem cougar last winter and the CO took the cat. Did you miss that also.

I actually like you Dana, even though your head is a touch big from your hard earned successes. Contrary to what you think, I see and hear a lot more from back here in the bush than others with a front row seat understand.

bearvalley
01-07-2014, 10:43 PM
All good posts!!!!

I went to college with Ken, along with a few other CO's and have the utmost respect for him and the others. Most guys who bad mouth someone either are pi$$ed off because they or their cousin, whom they married, crossed paths with said person and got caught not playing by the rules. They whined and cried to be let off and it did not work, so lets start bad mouthing them when ever they can.

So easy when sitting in your tighty whities with a glass of wine and candles while on line......

To be serious though, who really cares???? If people are watching and commenting about stiff like this, their life is not that fullfilling.

Cheers

SS

SS
Sorry I'm not one of the back patting club even though I do feel bad that he had to be caught bawling on TV. As to being pissed because of not playing by the rules? Wrong. Mr Owens was the one that got caught not playing by the rules.
I also have respect for the CO's that are out there doing their job, but no use for the ones that use their position to achieve their personal agendas. Most of the posters on here don't have a clue what I'm even talking about. A few do. It's to bad a few more of you backslappers weren't stuck in the middle of the BC Cattlemans/Lays versus CO Service
... power struggle as to who was going to be the Provinces best Predator control team. My vote would still be with the Lays if they had been able to carry on doing the job of problem wildlife removal without having to constantly watch their backs. Dan Lay has more predator knowledge stuffed between his ears than most any other man in North America. A few members of the COS did not like the demotion when problem wildlife was removed from their mandate. It's a lot more interesting to deal with bears, wolves and cougars than it is to issue tickets to someone because their garbage fire smokes too much. In the meantime some of us got caught in the middle and paid the price.
On the other hand now that problem wildlife removal is back in the hands of the COS there have been some positive changes made to the program. Let's hope it stays positive.
Going to college with someone or having a drink with a guy doesn't go far as to judging how he performs now in his public and personal capacity.
Anyways while you're watching and commenting on this pull up your tightly whities, top up the wine glass and flip on the light switch.

Steve W: if you want to PM you're home# we can talk. During the day I'm busy. I don't collect a check to spend my time yapping on the phone. I thought you guys were always spread too thin to be in the office on the web.

srupp: Steve, you always come across as the Number 1 Nice guy on this site. Always willing to give advice and lend a hand. Not wanting to start a shit storm but I have to ask? How old are you? By my calculations you've got at least 2 centuries under your belt. There is no way that anyone could have so many perspectives and as much personal knowledge on people, places, big game and how to hunt it. You got to be real old or a ...... real fast learner? When someone seems to know something about everything I wonder if he knows much of anything? While I'm on questions... How was guiding for Betty?

BCrams: my eyes are dry. How about yours?

BlacktailStalker
01-07-2014, 11:02 PM

Amen to that. 2 hounds should be dead, one got lucky. Cheaper to call up the guys you need in the area you need than purchase hounds, keep & feed them as well as transport them 1000's of kms annually to location while paying a salary to one or likely two CO's travelling to each call, the cost of feeding and hotel or ? etc while on the road for each call which could take days to catch when they could be used doing something else.
Also the fact that quick response time is the number one deciding factor to catching these problem predators, hence using local houndsmen.
The list goes on and on as to why this new idea is another 'fail' at a cost to everyone.
Knowing where these dogs came from, it's unlikely they paid less than $5,000 per dog seeing as 'who' the purchaser was (Provincial funded)

That cat just cost the province over $10,000 on dogs alone (replacement needed now) plus etc etc rather than a $350 call out to a reliable houndsman. Fail.

dana
01-07-2014, 11:08 PM
This CO proved that 2 hounds weren't enough for this particular cat...... or did you miss that fact.

There are also several GOOD houndsmen in this province that would gladly kill these problem cats for a lot less money than it took to bring those 2 dogs all the way from the good ol' USA and pay for their keep. I believe one of them who is an occasional poster here even had a CO interfere with a legal hunt for a problem cougar last winter and the CO took the cat. Did you miss that also.

I actually like you Dana, even though your head is a touch big from your hard earned successes. Contrary to what you think, I see and hear a lot more from back here in the bush than others with a front row seat understand.

One thing I do know for certain, if you are listening to houndsmen tell stories, be prepared to bring a big shovel to separate the truth from the BS. 99% of them can spin quite the tale. hahaha.

adriaticum
01-07-2014, 11:12 PM
Why don't they make a list of all the houndsmen in the province who are willing to volunteer their time and dogs to pursue bad kitties.
So when they need them they just make a call.

bearvalley
01-07-2014, 11:16 PM

I agree Dana, it's tough to lose a good dog to a cat. But that's a risk that comes with the game. It doesn't matter if you turn loose 1 dog or a dozen eventually a hounds man is going to lose a dog. Cats stand their ground and don't tree, cats jump tree and once in a while the hounds run into a wolf or two. But on a cat that's already killing dogs it's better to turn loose more than 2 hounds. More hounds creates more diversion if the cat wants to fight and if a dog or two does get killed it lessens the chance of it being your best one. Even though Murphy's Law doesn't always work that way.
Anyhow that's my .02.
Enough of me trying to be a whiney, crying Trophy hunter type and I'll switch back to Granola Head mode.

BlacktailStalker
01-07-2014, 11:17 PM
Why don't they make a list of all the houndsmen in the province who are willing to volunteer their time and dogs to pursue bad kitties.

There is one. But it's jaded, central Island anyways. Local guy here gets every single call and I heard he never caught a single cat for them last year.
The story I'm given is his dad was close with one of the senior CO's here so has the "hook up" on the $ bucket. $3-350 a call I believe.
It's too bad, people want to help, I do anyways.

Hammerhead
01-07-2014, 11:22 PM
I wonder what are the implications and liabilities at stake if a CO was to call a local hounds man to get involved? Or if they are even allowed to get outsiders involved. Might be some policy's in place there to limit what can and can't be done. Someone gets hurt in the process and affects their lively hood they are going to look for some type of compensation. I would think there would have to be some sort of personal liability insurance in place on the part of the hounds man before it could be entertained by the ministry. Imo
HH

adriaticum
01-07-2014, 11:29 PM
I wonder what are the implications and liabilities at stake if a CO was to call a local hounds man to get involved? Or if they are even allowed to get outsiders involved. Might be some policy's in place there to limit what can and can't be done. Someone gets hurt in the process and affects their lively hood they are going to look for some type of compensation. I would think there would have to be some sort of personal liability insurance in place on the part of the hounds man before it could be entertained by the ministry. Imo
HH

That's easy. Every houndsman is a hunter and every hunter has/should have insurance. They could easily confirm and make sure that they have insurance with BCWF or other entity. They could require NFA or BCWF membership.
Just makes sense to me but as with anything you involve the government in it gets "complicated" and money payouts start getting into focus.

Gateholio
01-07-2014, 11:38 PM
I'm pretty embarrassed by some of the comments here. Many are tasteless and even worse- they are ignorant.

For whatever reason, the CO had an emotional moment that got the best of him. Probably because he found himself in a situation where he reflected on what the worst part of his job was. Personally, I'm happy to see a CO that is so moved by having to put down an animal. The CO's are in a tough spot when it comes to destroying a predator that may become a threat to the public. I've seen first hand in Whistler how much abuse gets' thrown at the CO's when they go to remove a bear that is a threat. I can only imagine how this might spill over into other aspects of his job.

I've killed hundreds of animals. Hunting, slaughter and "putting down." By far the toughest emotionally is when you need to put down an animal for whatever reason. While you get used to it-it's still difficult, so I completely understand the emotion the CO displays when faced with this. Everybody has their weak points and maybe this aspect of his job came to the surface today. Doesn't mean he is incompetent or won't be able to do his job next week.

I know, I know...All you internet tough guys are so stoic you would never get choked up about anything.:roll:

gcreek
01-07-2014, 11:50 PM

It's called prestige, something the COS is desperately short of at this moment. Certain members don't believe their status would rise by contacting non CO's with more experience and success to do these calls. I believe they would look far better in the public eye by admitting their personal limitations (each of us has them) and deal with issues appropriately. This instance is a classic example.

aggiehunter
01-08-2014, 12:27 AM
Gatehouse...in hind site I agree....

One Shot
01-08-2014, 12:34 AM
Gatehouse........Well said. I agree, thank you

bruin
01-08-2014, 12:36 AM
I'm pretty embarrassed by some of the comments here. Many are tasteless and even worse- they are ignorant.

For whatever reason, the CO had an emotional moment that got the best of him. Probably because he found himself in a situation where he reflected on what the worst part of his job was. Personally, I'm happy to see a CO that is so moved by having to put down an animal. The CO's are in a tough spot when it comes to destroying a predator that may become a threat to the public. I've seen first hand in Whistler how much abuse gets' thrown at the CO's when they go to remove a bear that is a threat. I can only imagine how this might spill over into other aspects of his job.

I've killed hundreds of animals. Hunting, slaughter and "putting down." By far the toughest emotionally is when you need to put down an animal for whatever reason. While you get used to it-it's still difficult, so I completely understand the emotion the CO displays when faced with this. Everybody has their weak points and maybe this aspect of his job came to the surface today. Doesn't mean he is incompetent or won't be able to do his job next week.

I know, I know...All you internet tough guys are so stoic you would never get choked up about anything.:roll:

Well said Gate. Lots of these guys are caught between an underfunding gov't and a pissed off public. I wouldn't be surprised if those were tears of exasperation.

LBM
01-08-2014, 06:34 AM

Some interesting comments from you as usual. From what I got out of the story he actually let one hound to go at the start. Since you are blaming or degrading him for his actions I believe the land owner where this started also fired shots that day or day before at the cat. The cat from my understanding also had a snare on its leg which is probably the reason why it couldn't climb a tree and why it was acting and hunting where it was, so if there is to be blame anywhere that caused the whole thing it is on the snare/and or the person who set it.

LBM
01-08-2014, 06:42 AM
Never had any dealings with Ken Owens but I am aware that he is one of the reasons a lot of other ranchers have given up calling the COS for help in mitigating predators. He may have meant well but wasn't the man for the job.

As for professionalism of other CO's, I have in print, a bald face lie, written by a CO to our Cattlemen's Asso. this past Dec. We are dealing with it.
Ranchers such as yourself are why many don't want to help also. I have had ranchers that have lied right to my face lied while I have been present to COs and do illegal things/poach and hire people to do so as well. Your association isn't as perfect as you make it sound.

LBM
01-08-2014, 06:48 AM

I missed this interference story where abouts is it. What is a legal hunt for a problem cat, is this a cat being deemed a problem by a member of the public or was it actually being pursued by the COs.

LBM
01-08-2014, 07:13 AM
It's called prestige, something the COS is desperately short of at this moment. Certain members don't believe their status would rise by contacting non CO's with more experience and success to do these calls. I believe they would look far better in the public eye by admitting their personal limitations (each of us has them) and deal with issues appropriately. This instance is a classic example.
If many of the ranchers didn't have a kill everything with claws and fangs attitude things may not be the way they are also. I think you are talking about the Lays from my understanding of them from people that have used them and are friends with them they are very good at what they do and target the animals that are actually doing the problem, not just stringing snares and traps every where seeing what they catch. They actually access the situation and see what is going on and solve it.
For me the problem is with the rancher/landowners that do and allow illegal stuff to go on then bitch at COs etc when something happens to livestock. You want to kick your livestock out in the bush for the summer and fall then accept some of the responsibility of losing some of it.

LBM
01-08-2014, 07:23 AM
There is/ was in some areas I believe they are trying to make it more internal now, things are getting more political.
Just because someone may have the best dogs out there the may not be allowed because of there reputation Im guessing.

Big Lew
01-08-2014, 08:38 AM
Man, a lot of responders must have got coal in their socks for Christmas. Another thread degraded to personal attacks and negatives.

houndogger
01-08-2014, 10:00 AM
Some real uninformed people and comments on the hound stuff on here lol

Chopper
01-08-2014, 10:12 AM
This guy is softer than puppy sht ... MELTDOWN !

Wentrot
01-08-2014, 10:19 AM
Why do so many of you give a crap about this? It's like I am back in high school! Just because the guy cried does not make him any less of a man or bad at his job.Man, people are just fuc*** these days.Its no wonder I only choose to communicate with a few people.

SteepCountry
01-08-2014, 03:06 PM
Why don't you guys all have a cry about it.

Rackem
01-08-2014, 03:15 PM
It's a discouraging trend, harshness and negativity for no good reason. Personally I like to focus on the good things in life and cut people a bit of slack as fellow humans on a small planet.

It takes very little effort to be kind and compassionate, and do random acts of kindness. The person ahead of me at Tim Horton's in Cache Creek paid for my order...made my day so much sunnier.

Peter Pepper
01-08-2014, 03:56 PM
This tread is insane! What's wrong with you guys?!?
Over 100 comments and nobody has mentioned the blond in the camo hat!!!

Rackem
01-08-2014, 05:01 PM
http://youtu.be/hc45-ptHMxo

Rackem
01-08-2014, 05:17 PM
http://youtu.be/VDpuJXgD7Rs

dino
01-08-2014, 05:27 PM
Cry about shit worth crying about,not this B.S.

Rackem
01-08-2014, 05:29 PM
http://youtu.be/jVI1Xutc_Ws

Rackem
01-08-2014, 05:29 PM
Cry about shit worth crying about,not this B.S.

You do not even know why he was crying--unless you can read his mind.

dino
01-08-2014, 05:42 PM
You do not even know why he was crying--unless you can read his mind.
"yawn".....Ive seen lots of people cry for effect like this,

M.Dean
01-08-2014, 06:10 PM
Why do so many of you give a crap about this? It's like I am back in high school! Just because the guy cried does not make him any less of a man or bad at his job.Man, people are just fuc*** these days.Its no wonder I only choose to communicate with a few people. Reminds me of seeing a show with a herd of Jackals in Africa, ripping and tearing a wounded Buffalo a part, running around the downed animal with mouthfuls of bloody meat well the poor, suffering animal watch's, it's eyes dam near popping out of it's head!!! Jeez, if I ever do trip and fall around here, please shoot me before the Jackals show up!!!

sobirch
01-08-2014, 06:12 PM
Gatehouse........Well said. I agree, thank you

X2 What he said

r106
01-08-2014, 06:16 PM
This tread is insane! What's wrong with you guys?!?
Over 100 comments and nobody has mentioned the blond in the camo hat!!!

hahaha I was just thinking the same thing. Who cares about the CO. Who's the blond?

kevan
01-08-2014, 06:23 PM
I'm too old and decrepit to get excited about the blonde but that sure didn't stop me from admiring her.... pretty gal !!

adriaticum
01-08-2014, 06:26 PM
What ever happened to ruger#1 ?
Did he get eaten ny a cougar?

Goose
01-08-2014, 07:05 PM
I just like his 'stash......thats a well maintained lip mullet....Cheers to the CO....and fellow CO's for all their hard work, and dedication to the province and all us outdoors men and women!!

markomoose
01-08-2014, 09:16 PM
This thread sure brought a lot of people out of the dark.

40incher
01-08-2014, 10:13 PM
Yeah ... sure changed my thoughts.

The CO "Service" is a joke. Just a bunch of glorified hit men harassing the public while the poachers laugh. If you are a predator that threatens the public, it's the public's fault of course. I know why the poor guy cried, he was spoon fed a bunch of crap about the value of being a henchman dressed in a uniform.

There is no room for compassion in the CO world. He will be eaten by his own shortly ...

blackbart
01-08-2014, 11:37 PM
For the life of me I still can't understand why a couple of members seem to post anything remotely positive about CO's??

The CO's are there to enforce regs and protect wildlife.

Cattle ranchers are using vegetation that otherwise would be available for wildlife. Think about that.

Isn't this a hunting site? Why do we allow a few vocal minority to continually bash those that are protecting our resources? Poachers, pollutars and scoundrals should not be our friends.

40incher
01-09-2014, 12:54 AM
For the life of me I still can't understand why a couple of members seem to post anything remotely positive about CO's??

The CO's are there to enforce regs and protect wildlife.

Cattle ranchers are using vegetation that otherwise would be available for wildlife. Think about that.

Isn't this a hunting site? Why do we allow a few vocal minority to continually bash those that are protecting our resources? Poachers, pollutars and scoundrals should not be our friends.

Please read this very closely BB, as you seem to confuse the CO's with protecting anything but their own existence ...

You are comparing ranchers to "poachers, polluters and scoundrels" ... Pretty simplistic, and somewhat sad.

When I read the previous many pages of posts, I think it is clear what us hunters think!

Perhaps the apologists should back off and realize dysfunction when it stares them in the face.

stugatz
01-09-2014, 01:19 AM
I don't know....I myself would feel no emotion shooting a cat that may maul or even kill a little kid
at that school.....ok I can understand the emotional part of dispatching an animal, but seriously... killing
an animal that poses a serious risk of death, that I am sorry does not warrant tears....maybe he was caught
up in the moment.

gcreek
01-09-2014, 01:35 AM
Some interesting comments from you as usual. From what I got out of the story he actually let one hound to go at the start. Since you are blaming or degrading him for his actions I believe the land owner where this started also fired shots that day or day before at the cat. The cat from my understanding also had a snare on its leg which is probably the reason why it couldn't climb a tree and why it was acting and hunting where it was, so if there is to be blame anywhere that caused the whole thing it is on the snare/and or the person who set it.

Agreed, still doesn't change the fact that more/better dogs would probably resulted in only one death. The cougar's.

gcreek
01-09-2014, 01:38 AM
Ranchers such as yourself are why many don't want to help also. I have had ranchers that have lied right to my face lied while I have been present to COs and do illegal things/poach and hire people to do so as well. Your association isn't as perfect as you make it sound.

I think if you asked a few such as Schendel, Aikenhead, Spuchelli, or Anaka you might change your tune.

gcreek
01-09-2014, 01:53 AM
If many of the ranchers didn't have a kill everything with claws and fangs attitude things may not be the way they are also. I think you are talking about the Lays from my understanding of them from people that have used them and are friends with them they are very good at what they do and target the animals that are actually doing the problem, not just stringing snares and traps every where seeing what they catch. They actually access the situation and see what is going on and solve it.
For me the problem is with the rancher/landowners that do and allow illegal stuff to go on then bitch at COs etc when something happens to livestock. You want to kick your livestock out in the bush for the summer and fall then accept some of the responsibility of losing some of it.

The Lays have dealt with several predator issues here, both through the BCCA program and private contracting. They have some wolf traps set here at present to catch a wolf pack that killed a cow here before Christmas. I have now paid them in excess of $!0,000.00 of my own money to kill wolves that were predating on our livestock. We have lost over 160 cattle and 50 sheep and lambs since spring 2003 and have only bother to claim the pittance offered for compensation on 7 cattle.
I doubt it will register to many on this site how many moose this so called poaching, land hogging, ignorant farmer has kept alive with my own dollars and doubt if any would willingly contribute to the fund.....

Is that taking enough responsibility for you Little Big Man?

gcreek
01-09-2014, 01:56 AM
There is/ was in some areas I believe they are trying to make it more internal now, things are getting more political.
Just because someone may have the best dogs out there the may not be allowed because of there reputation Im guessing.

Yeah, if you don't have a brown nose they wouldn't consider doing the most professional route.

white moose
01-09-2014, 06:53 AM
It's a discouraging trend, harshness and negativity for no good reason. Personally I like to focus on the good things in life and cut people a bit of slack as fellow humans on a small planet.

It takes very little effort to be kind and compassionate, and do random acts of kindness. The person ahead of me at Tim Horton's in Cache Creek paid for my order...made my day so much sunnier.

When did they get a tim hortons in cache creek?

chilcotin hillbilly
01-09-2014, 07:09 AM
The Lays have dealt with several predator issues here, both through the BCCA program and private contracting. They have some wolf traps set here at present to catch a wolf pack that killed a cow here before Christmas. I have now paid them in excess of $!0,000.00 of my own money to kill wolves that were predating on our livestock. We have lost over 160 cattle and 50 sheep and lambs since spring 2003 and have only bother to claim the pittance offered for compensation on 7 cattle.
I doubt it will register to many on this site how many moose this so called poaching, land hogging, ignorant farmer has kept alive with my own dollars and doubt if any would willingly contribute to the fund.....

Gcreek, You have the right guys doing your work, Kyle is the finest wolf trapper in the country. Even has some good lion dogs if needed.
This picking away at the wolves with trapping and shooting is not doing a damn thing. With more wolves taken out of here last year then in the past ten years we seem to have even more this wolves year.

As far as Ken O and his breakdown on camera I know him a bit and have spent alot of time discussing predator control. Something else must have been messing with his head that day as that was not at all like Ken.

GoatGuy
01-09-2014, 07:13 AM
Can't remember the exact wording, but the question asked was something on the lines of "the public thinks COs are ruthless killers, what are your thoughts?"

For all the folks with their heads burried firmly up their @sses, remember things on TV aren't always portrayed the way the interview went.

chilcotin hillbilly
01-09-2014, 07:23 AM
gcreek,

Dana,
You know a "little" about hounds and catching cougar, but problem cats should be delt with with a pack of hounds, for the hounds safety A quote from one of the top CO's "our only houndsmens hounds can't hardly catch a cold" Got to go now and catch a cougar.

Kudu
01-09-2014, 08:14 AM
My youngest son is going to uni in Lethbridge - specifically to do the CO-course.

why? Not because he wants to ponce around pretending to be a policeman, rather to get qualifications that will allow him to become a game warden / PH / Guide/ whatever, in Southern Africa where he intends working in the long run.

I showed him the video - frankly, he just shook his head and told me that the day he cries about doing his job, he would seek another profession.......

And I tend to agree with him!

gcreek
01-09-2014, 08:53 AM
Can't remember the exact wording, but the question asked was something on the lines of "the public thinks COs are ruthless killers, what are your thoughts?"

For all the folks with their heads burried firmly up their @sses, remember things on TV aren't always portrayed the way the interview went.

Don't believe I've ever had that thought go through my mind.

Unless you consider the case of COs and a particular goose!

Walksalot
01-09-2014, 09:20 AM
My youngest son is going to uni in Lethbridge - specifically to do the CO-course.

why? Not because he wants to ponce around pretending to be a policeman, rather to get qualifications that will allow him to become a game warden / PH / Guide/ whatever, in Southern Africa where he intends working in the long run.

I showed him the video - frankly, he just shook his head and told me that the day he cries about doing his job, he would seek another profession.......

And I tend to agree with him!

It will be interesting to see how your son looks at things after being in the field for a while. Attitudes can change after one witnesses the misery some animals go through and their profound will to live.

Gateholio
01-09-2014, 11:05 AM

Absolutely. I've been interviewed numerous times for newspaper and TV and the edited version that ends up in print or on the screen rarely portrays the whole picture/ interview.

adriaticum
01-09-2014, 11:13 AM
Absolutely. I've been interviewed numerous times for newspaper and TV and the edited version that ends up in print or on the screen rarely portrays the whole picture/ interview.

Ha,ha I'd pay $100 to see you Gatehouse cry on national TV :mrgreen:

$100 bucks to any cougar who can make Gatehouse cry!

Casagrande
01-09-2014, 12:31 PM
Interview was at my next door neighbour's house, that was my truck you hear start up during the interview. No sign of the cat in the last three days.

huntcoop
01-09-2014, 02:09 PM
Interview was at my next door neighbour's house, that was my truck you hear start up during the interview. No sign of the cat in the last three days.

Did you buy her the camo Under Armour hat for Xmas :smile: I can't help but wonder what kind of truck you are driving, you notice he starts to blubber as soon as you start it up........

Casagrande
01-09-2014, 02:20 PM
She just turned 50 so I'm told she's past cougar years! Toyota Tundra.

gutpile
01-09-2014, 02:26 PM
I actual feel sorry for the CO , he must feel totality embarressed , my take on he's bawling is, that he was
nervous being on camera and him knowing that some people would be upset of putting down an animal
and that got the best of him.

huntcoop
01-09-2014, 03:25 PM
She just turned 50 so I'm told....

Wha, wha what? Holding fine from the camera angle.

Casagrande
01-09-2014, 03:39 PM
Communication breakdown, the chick in the news clip is not my wife! I thought you were alluding to the other type of cougar!

Casagrande
01-09-2014, 03:43 PM
And my wife is waaaaay hotter than her!

Rackem
01-09-2014, 04:01 PM
When did they get a tim hortons in cache creek?

Haha, 100 Mile...road weary.

Big Lew
01-09-2014, 04:56 PM

Great comeback! Is she reading over your shoulder?:-D

BlacktailStalker
01-09-2014, 07:46 PM

We'll be the judge of that. Pics or it ain't so :)

LBM
01-10-2014, 02:45 PM
Agreed, still doesn't change the fact that more/better dogs would probably resulted in only one death. The cougar's.

So when you run cats in this type of situation how many of your dogs do you let go.
The way the story sounds the cat couldn't climb do to a human caused injury so its quit possible more dogs may have been killed.
Sounds like the one dog did what it was suspossed to do followed the track to the cat but it didn't/couldn't tree, I don't know the area there may also have ben no suitable trees for it to climb.

LBM
01-10-2014, 02:54 PM

Curious as to how your trapper is paid by the day, hr, by the wolf or is there just a set fee.
So he has some traps there now since before xmas how many has he caught Im guessing not all of them or else he wouldn't still be there. If the COs were there doing it for the same length of time would that be acceptable or would you say they didn t know what they were doing.
Of the 210 plus livestock lost they have all been confirmed wolf kills and if so and there is a compensation for that why would you not take it.
How are you keeping these moose alive with your own money and if it is easy to keep the moose alive why can you not keep your livestock alive.

LBM
01-10-2014, 03:01 PM
Gcreek, You have the right guys doing your work, Kyle is the finest wolf trapper in the country. Even has some good lion dogs if needed.
This picking away at the wolves with trapping and shooting is not doing a damn thing. With more wolves taken out of here last year then in the past ten years we seem to have even more this wolves year.

As far as Ken O and his breakdown on camera I know him a bit and have spent alot of time discussing predator control. Something else must have been messing with his head that day as that was not at all like Ken.

Its been showing lots that the trapping has caused more wolves and the packs to fracture and disperse causing more packs. Also the farmers and ranchers giving dead livestock to the trappers to use as bait, has them now going after livestock were they never did in the past.

Phreddy
01-10-2014, 03:11 PM
Always keep in mind that it's not a very good idea to be staring at the mantle when poking the fire with a short stick.

I'm too old and decrepit to get excited about the blonde but that sure didn't stop me from admiring her.... pretty gal !!

Phreddy
01-10-2014, 03:14 PM
Careful Gate....cougars can be very dangerous, but a little pussy never hurt anyone..
Ha,ha I'd pay $100 to see you Gatehouse cry on national TV :mrgreen:

$100 bucks to any cougar who can make Gatehouse cry!

Gateholio
01-10-2014, 03:48 PM
Careful Gate....cougars can be very dangerous, but a little pussy never hurt anyone..

Chuck Norris would cry before I did.....;)

gcreek
01-10-2014, 04:42 PM
Curious as to how your trapper is paid by the day, hr, by the wolf or is there just a set fee.
So he has some traps there now since before xmas how many has he caught Im guessing not all of them or else he wouldn't still be there. If the COs were there doing it for the same length of time would that be acceptable or would you say they didn t know what they were doing.
Of the 210 plus livestock lost they have all been confirmed wolf kills and if so and there is a compensation for that why would you not take it.
How are you keeping these moose alive with your own money and if it is easy to keep the moose alive why can you not keep your livestock alive.

It is none of your business what/how Layser Kennels is paid.

Contrary to your reading comprehension, the traps were only set on Tuesday and have been checked by us on a 24 hr interval as required by regulation. The reason for the time delay from kill date to set date was to get a handle on the pack's travel cycle. This is quite different than a neighbor who had a calf killed and chose to have the free services of the COS. 2 CO's in 2 vehicles drove the 340 km to the rancher's home, did the verification, set traps, and gave the rancher instruction NOT to check for 5 days. These traps were also set a few days ago. We'll compare success and if the CO's catch that pack I will give credit where it's due. Different rules?

Also contrary to your comprehension, most of our predator losses from spring 2003 to fall 2008 were predation by grizzlies. Layser Kennels took out 7 different bears over that time period and I shot one that was reported and collected by CO Andrew Anaka. When the problem bears were dealt with our losses to them have been insignificant. I might add that during that time we had a neighbor that had horrendous management practices and was teaching grizzlies that beef was good by not burying or burning his deads in the spring. We have just as many or more bears now but so far they have minded their own business.

My remark about keeping moose alive was meant that wolves here don't live on beef alone. Every pack we take out keeps a few moose alive until the next pack comes in. Difficult for you to understand the concept?

I will answer your question to Chilcotin Hillbilly and he may also respond. When the COS regained the title of predator mitigators there was some cash in the till left over from the BCCA Predator Program. COS convinced BCCA that the best use for this money was to train ranchers to verify kills and trap their own wolves. Common knowledge that there are few individuals that are capable of taking whole packs out with traps regardless of training and experience. A lot of these new "wolf trappers" have had varying degrees of success by taking a member or three out of a pack, usually the dominant ones, causing pack fragmentation. I know my limits and although I have caught a few wolves years back I am satisfied with hiring someone that can kill the whole pack in a very short time period.

BTW, do your superiors know you are wasting taxpayer dollars playing on the computer during working hours? Thought you guys were overworked and underpaid and all that stuff?

Phreddy
01-10-2014, 04:48 PM
Attaboy lol

Chuck Norris would cry before I did.....;)

curt
01-10-2014, 05:41 PM
lots of tough guys on here I see, takes a big man to ware his emotions on his sleeve for whatever reason something got to him and he was a bit emotional. I'm guessing most critics on here know very little about any type of emergency service jobs or the stresses they face. Looks like to me he might be suffering a little be of PTSD for whatever reason but so be it, all i know is I wasnt laughing it is what it is move on boys and girls.

Wentrot
01-10-2014, 05:46 PM
Unfortunately there are an army of Internet badasses on every forum.Usually half drunk, middle aged, lonely *******s lol

abbyfireguy
01-10-2014, 06:00 PM
How a total non-issue gets this much play on our forum is beyond me.. Everyone is so quick to judge and criticize. Sheesh,,get a life people... Until you walk a mile in another man's shoes don't assume you know what going on.
Pretty easy to tell hunting season is over. Go chase the wife around the house or chop some firewood, too much time on your hands.

LBM
01-10-2014, 08:33 PM
It is none of your business what/how Layser Kennels is paid.

Contrary to your reading comprehension, the traps were only set on Tuesday and have been checked by us on a 24 hr interval as required by regulation. The reason for the time delay from kill date to set date was to get a handle on the pack's travel cycle. This is quite different than a neighbor who had a calf killed and chose to have the free services of the COS. 2 CO's in 2 vehicles drove the 340 km to the rancher's home, did the verification, set traps, and gave the rancher instruction NOT to check for 5 days. These traps were also set a few days ago. We'll compare success and if the CO's catch that pack I will give credit where it's due. Different rules?

Also contrary to your comprehension, most of our predator losses from spring 2003 to fall 2008 were predation by grizzlies. Layser Kennels took out 7 different bears over that time period and I shot one that was reported and collected by CO Andrew Anaka. When the problem bears were dealt with our losses to them have been insignificant. I might add that during that time we had a neighbor that had horrendous management practices and was teaching grizzlies that beef was good by not burying or burning his deads in the spring. We have just as many or more bears now but so far they have minded their own business.

My remark about keeping moose alive was meant that wolves here don't live on beef alone. Every pack we take out keeps a few moose alive until the next pack comes in. Difficult for you to understand the concept?

I will answer your question to Chilcotin Hillbilly and he may also respond. When the COS regained the title of predator mitigators there was some cash in the till left over from the BCCA Predator Program. COS convinced BCCA that the best use for this money was to train ranchers to verify kills and trap their own wolves. Common knowledge that there are few individuals that are capable of taking whole packs out with traps regardless of training and experience. A lot of these new "wolf trappers" have had varying degrees of success by taking a member or three out of a pack, usually the dominant ones, causing pack fragmentation. I know my limits and although I have caught a few wolves years back I am satisfied with hiring someone that can kill the whole pack in a very short time period.

BTW, do your superiors know you are wasting taxpayer dollars playing on the computer during working hours? Thought you guys were overworked and underpaid and all that stuff?
Just trying to learn here but hard to figure your problems out when you really don't say whats going on. So Cow was killed before xmas but didn't set traps till Tuesday to figure out travel cycle. This is back and forth to kill site or traveling in general. Did the wolves kill the cow then leave with out eating. So is it a different pack at your neighbours and how far distance away is this.
Ive heard of the COs being able to leave there traps longer and I don't agree with that at all same rules should apply to all unless the neighbour is checking them every day which only he would be able to answer.
So most of your predator problem up to 08 was due to grizzly( which you didn't mention before) also sounds like it may have been caused by humans habituating them to livestock. Was this neighbour charged in any way for his management practices, or is there any rules in effect for this. Could this also be causing the wolf problems if local ranchers are leaving or using livestock for wolf bait.
So how many packs of wolves have you taken out and what have you actually lost to wolves.
You say your trapper takes out the whole pack so why do you think these new packs decide to prey on cattle has this been on going or just started since 08.
Not sure were Im wasting taxpayer dollars. I have a boss but don't call him superior, cant complain about my wage and not even working right now.
Still curious as to how many of your dogs you run on a cat.

wsg33
01-10-2014, 10:58 PM
I guarentee he won't be emotional if he ever pulls you over in a game check. He would ticket his own mother. Kelowna is welcome to have the red headed wonder.

Ill second that

BigSlapper
01-10-2014, 11:41 PM
162 posts and 9,042 views in 3 days .... CRAZY

chilcotin hillbilly
01-11-2014, 07:15 AM
So when you run cats in this type of situation how many of your dogs do you let go.
The way the story sounds the cat couldn't climb do to a human caused injury so its quit possible more dogs may have been killed.
Sounds like the one dog did what it was suspossed to do followed the track to the cat but it didn't/couldn't tree, I don't know the area there may also have ben no suitable trees for it to climb.

If the cat is a dog killer I will run a many as I can 5 or 6 depending what i have with me that day. This has saved my dogs more then once. I have treed piles of lions with one or two dogs. not any more if i can help it. I have lost dogs twice when running 3 hounds.

LBM
01-11-2014, 09:05 AM
If the cat is a dog killer I will run a many as I can 5 or 6 depending what i have with me that day. This has saved my dogs more then once. I have treed piles of lions with one or two dogs. not any more if i can help it. I have lost dogs twice when running 3 hounds.

So your talking about cats that resorted to living in residential areas and living off of pets. Or cats that have killed dogs while being pursued by you. 2 different situations. If your just talking about the 2 situations you mention what do you feel caused it.

houndogger
01-11-2014, 11:09 AM
LBM you won't get honest answers from gcreek. For one he is not a houndsman and his views are so twisted it's amusing. Most or all on here hunt the snow. When it's gone dogs lay up or go run bear I guess...

Now for everyone to be posting about what the Co did wrong when most were hundreds of miles away is even more amusing. How old was the track? I have no idea? Has anyone ever dumped 5 or 6 hounds in a residential area? Roads cars fences house cats don't help much. What most don't understand is not all 5 or 6 hounds are going to get there at the same time. Your best or fastest will be first and alone and as in this case get whacked. Which is to bad cause from what I have heard the said dog was getting it done even after some of gcreeks buds had been in a hour earlier....

Phreddy
01-11-2014, 01:48 PM
lots of tough guys on here I see, takes a big man to ware his emotions on his sleeve for whatever reason something got to him and he was a bit emotional. I'm guessing most critics on here know very little about any type of emergency service jobs or the stresses they face. Looks like to me he might be suffering a little be of PTSD for whatever reason but so be it, all i know is I wasnt laughing it is what it is move on boys and girls.
I couldn't agree with you more on that score curt. Funny part of it all is that
30 years working in jails showed me that the toughest talking ones are usually the first ones to cry when they arrive in the crowbar hotel. there are no "tough guys" in my camp. Just a bunch of happy wimps like me.

LBM
01-11-2014, 03:57 PM
LBM you won't get honest answers from gcreek. For one he is not a houndsman and his views are so twisted it's amusing. Most or all on here hunt the snow. When it's gone dogs lay up or go run bear I guess...

Now for everyone to be posting about what the Co did wrong when most were hundreds of miles away is even more amusing. How old was the track? I have no idea? Has anyone ever dumped 5 or 6 hounds in a residential area? Roads cars fences house cats don't help much. What most don't understand is not all 5 or 6 hounds are going to get there at the same time. Your best or fastest will be first and alone and as in this case get whacked. Which is to bad cause from what I have heard the said dog was getting it done even after some of gcreeks buds had been in a hour earlier....

Thanks for the info, and good post explaining what it can be like. Interesting someone had been there earlier. Guess I will have to try and contact the CO involved to get his take on it, sad to hear about the dog but hopefully can learn something from it.

houndogger
01-11-2014, 04:11 PM
Thanks for the info, and good post explaining what it can be like. Interesting someone had been there earlier. Guess I will have to try and contact the CO involved to get his take on it, sad to hear about the dog but hopefully can learn something from it.

No no different problem call. I was just explaining the dog that got killed was good and had out done gcreeks buds on a different call out. Most of what he preaches here is just coffee pot news...

LBM
01-11-2014, 05:46 PM
No no different problem call. I was just explaining the dog that got killed was good and had out done gcreeks buds on a different call out. Most of what he preaches here is just coffee pot news...

No worrys I just like to learn or see why/how etc these things happen. Yes there seems to be a bit of fiction to some of his storys.

adriaticum
01-12-2014, 11:34 PM
Was watching this on youtube, from couple of years ago, and wondering since when did farmers stop having guns and protect their livestock

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PqAu3F0KUGo

gcreek
01-13-2014, 12:33 AM
So, did they ever get the culprits?

I know a sheep lady and her husband that could never pull a trigger on anything.

adriaticum
01-13-2014, 08:18 AM
So, did they ever get the culprits?

I know a sheep lady and her husband that could never pull a trigger on anything.

Yes they did, there are about 3-4 videos on youtube about this. In the end the CO got the cat and confirmed it was killing all the sheep,llama etc.

bearvalley
01-13-2014, 10:34 AM
LBM and houndogger, I have a question for a couple of houndsmen. Let's say you have 2 to 6 hounds. Walkers, Blueticks or whatever you like best. In the winter you chase cats in the snow. To fight boredom and still be able to have the thrill of running with the dogs, you tree bears when the snow is gone. In the middle of July you have a cougar decide it likes to kill livestock. The area is also occupied by a non-predatory bear or two. You get a call to come deal with the problem. You turn the dogs loose on a fresh kill obvious cougar kill and off they go. After 400 yards of mass confusion you arrive at the base of a tree and there it is... a Black Bear. The cougar blew Dodge.
What I'd like you houndsmen to tell me is how do you stop a misfire like this. In my eyes these dogs are no better than trash hounds. Cat dogs should be used on cats. Chase bears with something else. What's you're thoughts?
I'm not trying to pack Gcreeks torch but the 2 of you are blowing crap when you state that what he says is "fictional" or " he's preaching coffee pot news". I think I can safely say that he's just sick of the Predator Expert B*llsh*t. At least he drinks coffee with "houndsmen" that are worth listening to.

BlacktailStalker
01-13-2014, 10:41 AM
LBM and houndogger, I have a question for a couple of houndsmen. Let's say you have 2 to 6 hounds. Walkers, Blueticks or whatever you like best. In the winter you chase cats in the snow. To fight boredom and still be able to have the thrill of running with the dogs, you tree bears when the snow is gone. In the middle of July you have a cougar decide it likes to kill livestock. The area is also occupied by a non-predatory bear or two. You get a call to come deal with the problem. You turn the dogs loose on a fresh kill obvious cougar kill and off they go. After 400 yards of mass confusion you arrive at the base of a tree and there it is... a Black Bear. The cougar blew Dodge.
What I'd like you houndsmen to tell me is how do you stop a misfire like this. In my eyes these dogs are no better than trash hounds. Cat dogs should be used on cats. Chase bears with something else. What's you're thoughts?
I'm not trying to pack Gcreeks torch but the 2 of you are blowing crap when you state that what he says is "fictional" or " he's preaching coffee pot news". I think I can safely say that he's just sick of the Predator Expert B*llsh*t. At least he drinks coffee with "houndsmen" that are worth listening to.

Never really had a dog switch game. What they start on their own or let out on, they stick. That being said I've let out on a female cat and caught a tom or vice versa but cats visit the same scratches and kills, odds are one cat was passing by more recently than the one being pursued or joined up with one in its travels.
I'm a firm believer good dogs aren't just good at catching stuff, they're smart.

houndogger
01-13-2014, 11:00 AM

My dogs are broke on bears and that is a big must for the bulk of the calls.

bearvalley
01-13-2014, 11:13 AM
Never really had a dog switch game. What they start on their own or let out on, they stick. That being said I've let out on a female cat and caught a tom or vice versa but cats visit the same scratches and kills, odds are one cat was passing by more recently than the one being pursued or joined up with one in its travels.
I'm a firm believer good dogs aren't just good at catching stuff, they're smart.

Thanks for the input BlacktailStalker. You're lucky. I've seen some of these multi- purpose Cat/Bear dogs turned loose on a fresh summer cat track. Mass Confusion. Kind of like Father's Day on the Rez. Results worked out about even. 1/3 successful, 1/3 unsuccessful and 1/3 of the time the wrong thing up the tree. I'd rather follow a cat specific dog when there's no snow to watch a track. Trash broke. I wouldn't want them to crossfire on deer, moose,elk or bear. But maybe in an area where cat numbers heavily outweigh bear numbers it's not such a problem?
You're right, Good Dogs are Good. Some of the others should stay at home or get a lead pill.

bearvalley
01-13-2014, 11:15 AM
Thanks houndogger. I think the same.

houndogger
01-13-2014, 11:23 AM
There's a big difference between a straight cat dog and a multipurpose bear cat dog. Most of the bear guys will disagree and that's a whole other topic lol.

bearvalley
01-13-2014, 11:48 AM
There's a big difference between a straight cat dog and a multipurpose bear cat dog. Most of the bear guys will disagree and that's a whole other topic lol.

Yup. True words!

LBM
01-13-2014, 12:36 PM

I will try and answer for one I don't call my self a houndsman. I do not run my dogs on bear, train them to run cats and hope that's whet they stick to. Ive never had this happen but you never know what goes on. If this scenario happened I would pull them off and go back to looking for the cat.
I believe I said there is a bit of fiction to some of his storys not that all he says is fiction. That's why Im still waiting on his answer about his Cougar/dog experiences, he is the one that talks like an expert but as you mention maybe he just hears it drinking coffee.
Still waiting for his update on the wolf trapping at his and the neighbours as well for they have been out for about a week now.
What do you do in a situation like you mentioned with you dogs?
On a side not any involvement I have had with a cougar that has been deemed a problem has been done with 1 dog sometimes 2 for many of the reasons houndogger mentioned in his post.

bearvalley
01-13-2014, 04:21 PM
LBM: I don't have any dogs at this time. To many irons in the fire and gone from home to much. Hounds aren't something you put on the shelf and forget about for 6 months. When I did have dogs they did not run bear. I was taught by a couple of oldtime dog chasers and their belief was a cat dog chased strictly cats. If the dogs went off on a scent other than a cat they were running trash. If they didn't work, they didn't stay. If a person wants a pet they are better off with a poodle or a border collie. Their belief was a hound was a hunting tool and I agree.
On a problem cat that's killing dogs I would do as I said before (Chilcotin Hillbilly said the same) use more than 1 or 2 dogs. Keep the dogs close as long as you can. Turn them loose in the best way you can to try and keep the faster more aggressive hounds back with the rest. No matter who is right or wrong there will be times a dog gets tore up or killed. More than once all the dogs went home in the truck only because of the diversion created by 4 or 5 dogs and a gun being real close when a cat decided to fight.
I agree it's the shits when you have to deal with a backyard or town cat that already has dog killing to its credit. There can be a lot of hazards and confusion if a pack of hounds is just turned loose. That's why I say more than 1 or 2 hounds and kept as close and under control as long as possible. If there is such a thing in a hounds world as under control.
Here's a tip if you want to play this game. Pack some fishing line and a needle. Sometimes some stitches keeps your hound alive long enough for a trip to the Vet.
By the way I still get to chase a cat or 2 every year. The best part is that someone else gets to babysit the hounds.

adriaticum
01-13-2014, 04:33 PM
LBM: I don't have any dogs at this time. To many irons in the fire and gone from home to much. Hounds aren't something you put on the shelf and forget about for 6 months. When I did have dogs they did not run bear. I was taught by a couple of oldtime dog chasers and their belief was a cat dog chased strictly cats. If the dogs went off on a scent other than a cat they were running trash. If they didn't work, they didn't stay. If a person wants a pet they are better off with a poodle or a border collie. Their belief was a hound was a hunting tool and I agree.
On a problem cat that's killing dogs I would do as I said before (Chilcotin Hillbilly said the same) use more than 1 or 2 dogs. Keep the dogs close as long as you can. Turn them loose in the best way you can to try and keep the faster more aggressive hounds back with the rest. No matter who is right or wrong there will be times a dog gets tore up or killed. More than once all the dogs went home in the truck only because of the diversion created by 4 or 5 dogs and a gun being real close when a cat decided to fight.
I agree it's the shits when you have to deal with a backyard or town cat that already has dog killing to its credit. There can be a lot of hazards and confusion if a pack of hounds is just turned loose. That's why I say more than 1 or 2 hounds and kept as close and under control as long as possible. If there is such a thing in a hounds world as under control.
Here's a tip if you want to play this game. Pack some fishing line and a needle. Sometimes some stitches keeps your hound alive long enough for a trip to the Vet.
By the way I still get to chase a cat or 2 every year. The best part is that someone else gets to babysit the hounds.

How's that for a hound dog? :mrgreen:

http://www.milojko.com/wp-content/uploads/wppa/1.jpg

limit time
01-13-2014, 04:48 PM
How's that for a hound dog? :mrgreen:

http://www.milojko.com/wp-content/uploads/wppa/1.jpg
I hope that's not your banana hammock...

Ambush
01-13-2014, 04:48 PM
HaHa, you just went up a notch Adriaticum. You got balls posting that dog on a hound thread! :mrgreen:

LBM
01-13-2014, 04:50 PM

Thanks BV but I will say we definatly have different opinions.
I do not think they are just a hunting tool, and think many of the problems are not with the dog but the owner or houndsman as you call them.

adriaticum
01-13-2014, 05:00 PM
I hope that's not your banana hammock...

What's a banana hammock?
This was taken by a friend with his kid in the picture.

bearvalley
01-13-2014, 06:22 PM
I bet the Banana Hammock Poddles a better Cougar hound than some out there.:-D

houndogger
01-13-2014, 07:15 PM
There is a oldtimer not far from here that used to run his standard poodle with his hounds.

chilcotin hillbilly
01-13-2014, 08:59 PM
Speaking from experiance, when my dogs are let out on a cougar they catch the cougar, not bears and not house cats, deer, moose what ever else you can call trash. All my hounds hunt bear 40-50 trees a year, and cats another 40 to 50 combined lynx and cougar.
When the dogs are on the strike deck they seem to know we are hunting bear, I find most of all the cat tracks for the hounds if conditions are good. If conditions are bad I put the dogs up and rig for cats.
If you want to play the help the CO game. you should have at least one cat dog you can count on, completely broke off everything and other that will honor it.
All my dogs could be turned loose in a residential area and have no problem with distractions but not many dogs have the same exposure mine do, considering where i live and what i do for a living.
Now my batch of pups on the other hand are a long ways away from getting turned out on there own anywhere.