PDA

View Full Version : Broadheads for excalibur

moosecamp
01-06-2014, 09:08 PM
Just picked up a excalibur exomax and was wondering what broadheads you guys are using with your crossbows? Mechanicals vs. fixed? Weight 125gr vs. 150 gr. Aluminum arrows vs. carbon?
Thanks for your input in advance.

bwarwaruk
01-07-2014, 09:46 PM
I have an ecomax and I use 150's, fixed, by Excalibur, and I put them on my carbon bolts

moosecamp
01-17-2014, 10:18 AM
I have an ecomax and I use 150's, fixed, by Excalibur, and I put them on my carbon bolts
Thanks for the reply bwawaruk. I picked up some G5 montecs and magnus stinger broadheads and will see how they shoot. Was talking to Richard at Bucky's sport shop in Duncan and he mentioned that guys were switching over to aluminum arrows to tighten up their groups. May have to try that later.

IronNoggin
01-17-2014, 04:47 PM
I rather Like Excalibur's line-up of bows. Thus far I've successfully used an Ibex, an Exomax, and most recently the Matrix 380.
Good choice in the Exomax - I found it to be a Powerhouse and Very Accurate!

Couple thoughts on Broadheads:

- I tried Excalibur's "Boltcutters", and while field tip accurate, they left something to be desired for me. While they did do the job required, I had game wander off farther than they should have after being hit well on several occasions. And the biggest beef for me was the extremely poor blood trails. The latter SUCKS Royally when tracking conditions are difficult.

- My Partner uses a bow with about the same speed as the Exomax, and he uses exclusively Slick Tricks 4 blade heads. I did shoot them a few times from the Exomax, and found, as did he, they fly extremely close to field tips, and are right Accurate. I've personally seen the blood trails they leave from his bow, and they were rather easy to follow even in less than desirable conditions (and in every case, the game fell within a rather short range). Were I to go with a fixed blade from the Matrix, without any doubt, this is the one I would choose...

For the Matrix, I went with Spitfire Mechanicals. This bow is FAST, and I did not want to suffer through the effects of planing with a fixed blade. I found them to be pinpoint accurate (pretty much exact flight as the appropriate weight field tips), and Devastating on game. Blood trails in almost every case a blind man could follow under almost any tracking conditions, and game fold-up within very short ranges. One that is very close and several of my Buddies use is the Grim Reaper mechanical - same type of performance.

Weight is a factor best decided upon arrow weight, both overall, and what FOC is desired (weight forward ratio). In all cases except the Boltcutters (which I have decided not to use again) I went with 125 grain broadheads. That gave me a good FOC, matched the arrows well, and were extremely good performers for accuracy.

As far as arrows go, there is a host to choose from. Personally I cannot see any benefit in using aluminum, although others may disagree. For myself, I think of them like "bullets", and so am a Firm Believer in Quality. Most that I know that are heavy into hunting and target shooting with Excalibur crossbows use Black Eagle Executioners - of course weight matched to the bow. I use Custom versions of that with a 0.001 tolerance over shaft length, fitted with Luminok (lighted) nocks and brass front inserts (to match the FOC desired with the 125 grain broadheads). These fly as accurate as bullets from a good rifle, and always amaze me as to how well they fare at distance when shooting targets. My Hunting Partner inherited my Exomax, and can often match and/or better me at longer ranges using that exact same arrow. If you are interested, shoot me a pm and I'll pass along the contact information of the arrow maker we use. He is well known amongst Excalibur shooters as one of (if not THE) Best in Canada...

Couple final thoughts: You are reasonably close to us, and we will be practicing a fair bit over the spring and summer with our bows. If you are interested, let me know and you are welcome to join us for a shooting session and all that goes with...

Excalibur has it's own Forum, and I have found it Extremely Useful for pretty much any and all questions regarding their products. Great bunch of folks over there, and the vast majority are more than willing to help. Here's the address: http://www.excaliburcrossbow.com/phpBB2/index.php

You have any other questions, feel free to ask. Welcome to The Madness! Once hooked, your rifles will likely end up pining away in the safe while the Bow Plays... :wink:

Cheers,
Nog

Jim Prawn
01-17-2014, 10:57 PM
you are welcome to join us for a shooting session and all that goes with...

sounds interesting.... I'm in!
JP

moosecamp
01-18-2014, 11:38 AM
Nog, thanks for all the input and I have to agree with you on the Excalibur's "Boltcutters", with all the reading I've been doing the lack of blood trail seems to be the average with these.
I also made the dicision to shoot the 125gr broadheads, fixed for now but will look at mechanicals in the near future, just need to get lots of practice in first. The magnus stinger broadheads shoot almost the same as my field points so I won't have a problem using these as my hunting broadheads.

As for arrows I'll practice with the carbon firebolts that came with the bow until I have a chance to pick up some better quality arrows, no use recking good arrows when I'm learning the does and don't of this sport. The imformation on the arrow maker you use would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for the shooting invite, I haven't been up to Port Alberni in awhile and would like to do some camping in that area with my boy. It would be interesting to get together and watch the pros target shoot.:-D I'll p.m. you when I figure out what dates i'll be headind up there and hopefully we can make a shoot happen. Cheers moosecamp.

IronNoggin
01-18-2014, 01:18 PM
Happy to help any time!
Let me know when you want to explore a higher quality arrow, and I will definitely shoot you the fellow's information,

Thanks for the shooting invite, I haven't been up to Port Alberni in awhile and would like to do some camping in that area with my boy. It would be interesting to get together and watch the pros target shoot.:-D I'll p.m. you when I figure out what dates I'll be heading up there and hopefully we can make a shoot happen.

sounds interesting.... I'm in!

Sounds like the beginning of A Plan! :wink:
Have to be on a weekend methinks, as I have actually taken on a little work (GASP!!) to help offset the bills around here.
Let me know what dates might work, and let's Have Some FUN!! :-D

Cheers!
Nog

westcoastal
01-18-2014, 08:27 PM
I am in the same position as you Moosecamp. I also shoot a Matrix, it is a whole lotta fun. I will be ordering a dozen custom arrows ( Zombie slayers) from the same fellow Iron Noggin mentions - he will build the arrows specifically for 125 grain BHs. I like the idea of a fixed head, thinking I might try the Toxic heads, they have a lot of cutting surface. If I decide on mechanicals, I will probably go with the Spitfires, based on all the positive reviews I have read.

Chopper
01-18-2014, 10:34 PM
I was using the Rage broad heads a couple years ago ... Man they did damage , bucks never ran on well placed shots. That bolt hit and they went down like they were shot with a rifle

IronNoggin
01-19-2014, 01:17 PM
... thinking I might try the Toxic heads, they have a lot of cutting surface.

I was more than skeptical when the Toxic broadheads came out. They simply looked kind of "gimmicky" to me, and with all that surface area, also looked like there might be some potential for planing.

Since then I have read many positive reviews from some serious hunters about these broadheads. Many were shooting "Fast" bows, well within the speed range of my Matrix 380. Most describe complete pass-throughs even at distance, and all well describe the "coring effect" this design imparts for a wound channel - more like coring an apple than a standard broadhead produces. And most described HUGE blood trails.

Even with those reports in hand, i wasn't all that interested due to their being limited to a 100 grain weight. This year they introduced a slightly larger version (1" diameter as opposed to 7/8") in 125 grain weight. Although I still rank Slick Tricks as one of the Best fixed blade broadheads out there, I will be testing these new 125 grain heads from Flying Arrow Archery over the coming months...

http://flyingarrowarcheryusa.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/Toxic-420x325.jpg

Only caveat I have heard with these is they are HELL on targets. Not such a bad thing if the same results can be expected on game...

Website here: http://flyingarrowarcheryusa.com/

Cheers,
Nog

westcoastal
01-19-2014, 02:16 PM
Once I read about a 125 gr version, I thought it worth a try. Between the Matrix speed and BJs custom arrows, I think they could be pretty effective. Cool looking too.

Chopper
01-19-2014, 02:30 PM
I was more than skeptical when the Toxic broadheads came out. They simply looked kind of "gimmicky" to me, and with all that surface area, also looked like there might be some potential for planing.

Since then I have read many positive reviews from some serious hunters about these broadheads. Many were shooting "Fast" bows, well within the speed range of my Matrix 380. Most describe complete pass-throughs even at distance, and all well describe the "coring effect" this design imparts for a wound channel - more like coring an apple than a standard broadhead produces. And most described HUGE blood trails.

Even with those reports in hand, i wasn't all that interested due to their being limited to a 100 grain weight. This year they introduced a slightly larger version (1" diameter as opposed to 7/8") in 125 grain weight. Although I still rank Slick Tricks as one of the Best fixed blade broadheads out there, I will be testing these new 125 grain heads from Flying Arrow Archery over the coming months...

http://flyingarrowarcheryusa.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/Toxic-420x325.jpg

Only caveat I have heard with these is they are HELL on targets. Not such a bad thing if the same results can be expected on game...

Website here: http://flyingarrowarcheryusa.com/

Cheers,
Nog

WOW ! those look brutal !