PDA

View Full Version : Thank you Hunger Games

tailgate77
01-06-2014, 08:27 PM
My kiddo has fallen in love with archery because of the books and movies. She idolizes Katness and I now have a shooting partner! We went stump huntin' yesterday. What a gas! I was packing my new maple board self-bow, and she was using a Barnett kids bow. Great family fun in the off season, or anytime I guess! I hope this story gets more kids into archery.

http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn146/tailgate77/image-1.jpg (http://s303.photobucket.com/user/tailgate77/media/image-1.jpg.html)

the1mike
01-06-2014, 09:10 PM
That's awesome!

warnniklz
01-06-2014, 09:11 PM
Those barnette bows are fun! Even if they're too small for you.

Downwind
01-06-2014, 09:39 PM
I got my step-daughter that same bow. She loves shooting too. Glad she shares some of my interests. Looks like you two had a lot of fun.

warnniklz
01-06-2014, 10:24 PM
Those barnette bows are fun! Even if they're too small for you.

TheProvider
01-06-2014, 10:44 PM
Hunger Games and also Brave have gotten more people into archery Its amazing what a movie can do

cavebear
01-06-2014, 11:27 PM
my son just got his menace :) by mission
for the same reasons

the rangers apprentice series novels are great to get them hooked as well

tailgate77
01-07-2014, 07:28 AM
Nice for the kids to get interested in something so useful. My dog also got involved, finding arrows we lost in the woods! Cavebear I will check into those novels. Now to build my GF a bow, and we can all play together!

RoscoeP
01-07-2014, 09:19 AM
The open house at the Courtenay fish & game this past Sunday was packed, never seen so many people at the monthly open house. Cheers

Bowzone_Mikey
01-07-2014, 09:44 AM
the PG club holds open public nights every friday, people that never shot before come, get outfitted with club equip, a couple of coaches are there .. get them going ....

Hunger Games, Brave, Arrow(TV series), even the Avengers in the last 2 years have doubled the amount of public drop ins ... to the point where we have to turn people away ... we have enough equipment for approx 60 people to shoot ... each week there are are several never been people

last decade it was Lord of the Rings ... that sparked an increase in the sport ... but not to the degree we are seeing now

BigfishCanada
01-07-2014, 09:52 AM
That's exactly the bow my daughter has and that's the exact same reason..She loves it and is shooting straight

Stone Sheep Steve
01-07-2014, 09:56 AM
That's awesome TG!!

My daughter also loved the Hunger Games and has recently taken up archery...although she says the two are not related.

We just got her new bow dialed in (xmas present) and she loves to shoot it. It's a Diamond Infinity Edge.
She's already been on HBC checking out the 3D schedule:cool:.

SSS

cloverphil
01-07-2014, 06:27 PM
I have to agree with you there, it has caught on in my home too

my daughter has wanted a bow for a while, and she got one for Christmas this year :-D

and I just got one myself 2 days ago :mrgreen:

so does anyone know where the best place to get started at is in the Fraser Valley ?

tailgate77
01-07-2014, 09:37 PM
Have to love an activity that kids enjoy and has to be done away from a screen! No video games in my house, we shoot arrows at stumps. Can't wait for her to tell her school chums. We will have line ups to go with us lol

Stéphane
01-16-2014, 07:59 AM
I teach grade 7 kids and for 2 years, that's all the kids talked about. Fading a little bit (I'm talking about the books), but the movies very much sought after. I read the books too, no worries guys, there's archery in all 3 books and all 4 movies. 2 more years of free marketing for archery equipment.

bwarwaruk
01-16-2014, 09:58 AM
I'm taking my daughter out this weekend to walk down a nice beautiful path and fire at 3D targets together! Then we have to sight in her new 30-30....this fall, she hunts for the first time with me!

redthorn
01-16-2014, 06:14 PM
I think there will be a lot more new archers with side braided hair at the 3D in Abbotsford this weekend....

Even my wife is into archery now. She is going to shoot a round with me out there. And I am pretty pumped about it.

bccanadian
01-17-2014, 10:10 AM
I have to agree with you there, it has caught on in my home too

my daughter has wanted a bow for a while, and she got one for Christmas this year :-D

and I just got one myself 2 days ago :mrgreen:

so does anyone know where the best place to get started at is in the Fraser Valley ?

Mission on rod and gun have an archery division. I hear that all of the people in it are great with new archers.