PDA

View Full Version : whats the best lead sled?

pnbrock
01-05-2014, 07:17 PM
looking for input on lead sled type shooting rests,looking to upgrade mine for something a little more than entry level.thanks

Brew
01-05-2014, 07:27 PM
I dont know the model of mine but its the one that is made to hold weight lifting plates. I like that it holds the plates but the front rest is horrible and slops around because it is only held by velcro. their newst model looks pretty decent. its the one with a lever to make fine adjustments before the shot.

358mag
01-05-2014, 08:08 PM
Dodge Ram Pickup is the best " Lead" Sled bar none .

pnbrock
01-06-2014, 08:29 PM
so nobody uses them anymore.what about bringing one across border ,not exactly a rife part?

goatdancer
01-07-2014, 12:49 PM
so nobody uses them anymore.what about bringing one across border ,not exactly a rife part?

I bought mine a couple of years ago at Cabelas in the states and it was not an issue.

RoscoeP
01-07-2014, 01:40 PM
Why do you want a lead sled? They are a rest designed to reduce felt recoil by loading them down with weight. If recoil is not an issue I would buy a good quality front rest and rear bag. The front rest should be fully adjustable, once set up properly it will let the rifle recoil straight back into your shoulder. The one I have is over 20 years old made by Hart. Sinclair's sells some nice shooting gear. Cheers Roscoe

mike-juliet
01-07-2014, 01:40 PM
No issues bringing one up from the states as it is not a firearm part. I have a DFT, it is by far the heaviest and sturdiest one they make but its got a hefty price tag. I rarely if ever use it, only when I am testing new hand loads to isolate the rifle as much as possible and even then sometimes when I am lazy i just use my Atlas Bipod and rear bag.

albravo2
01-07-2014, 01:48 PM
I brought mine back from cabelas too. I don't think it is restricted from export but I didn't actually check.

I have the same caldwell one that Brew has. I don't mind the velcro front piece. I was a bit surprised how much it jumps around from the recoil of my 7mm rem mag, even with a 25lb plate in the ballast area.

Like a chrony, I think it is a great product to own with someone else. Mine doesn't get used much. If you ever shoot in Squamish, send me a PM and you're welcome to it.

VLD43
01-07-2014, 01:51 PM
I researched leadsleds about a year ago, and was considering either a Caldwell DFT or FCX. After reading other forums, it became clear in my mind, that the FCX was problematic and not worth the extra money. I bought the DFT, and have been happy with it. I don't think you would have any problems bring one back from the US, as it is only a shooting aid, but that is just me speculating.

Sunzuki
01-08-2014, 10:48 AM
WSS should carry the Caldwell's sled.
I have learnt to use my sled without weights on heavier recoil rifles.
Scopes can and have developed warranty issues.

mike-juliet
01-08-2014, 10:53 AM

Wholesale does sell them, Thats where I got my DFT

Hammerhead
01-08-2014, 08:17 PM
Also have the DFT from Cabelas from the US with no problems
HH

Iltasyuko
01-08-2014, 08:52 PM

I was was wondering if the "lead sled" style rests pose threats to reticles and other scope parts. It would seem a rifle in one of these sleds would face a very sharp and abrupt stop in rearward motion compared to a unweighted rest where the gun can travel farther in recoil and recoil energy is shed over a longer travel / period of time.

eaglesnester
01-08-2014, 09:12 PM
Why do you want a lead sled? They are a rest designed to reduce felt recoil by loading them down with weight. If recoil is not an issue I would buy a good quality front rest and rear bag. The front rest should be fully adjustable, once set up properly it will let the rifle recoil straight back into your shoulder. The one I have is over 20 years old made by Heart. Sinclair's sells some nice shooting gear. Cheers RoscoeThe above is good advise. Shooting on a weighted down lead sled with a hard kicking rifle can split your stock at the tang. Rifles need to recoil. A lead sled can also cause U to shoot different when U mount the rifle on your shoulder and shoot in the field.

pnbrock
01-08-2014, 10:38 PM
well the fact is i want it to sight in my rifle ,but more for the kids getting started on shooting.thanks for the input people!

todbartell
01-09-2014, 12:15 AM
Lead Sleds, properly weighted, will reduce felt recoil. That's about the only positive thing I can say about them. I guess I don't mind selling them either lol......................

Dutch
01-09-2014, 09:19 AM
Hmmm shooting a dps for 5 years now ,the .375 Ruger African has not blown apart yet ,great to dial in first then go to a straight bench rest ,for small frames and women would think it would be the way to start , The muzzle blast and jump seem to be more frightening than the actual recoil so once they figure that out recoil can be introduced