PDA

View Full Version : Akamina kishinena provincial park

rides bike to work
01-04-2014, 05:10 PM
Hi all here I lay sick in bed and what's almost as fun as hunting season is planning for next hunting season. My father growing up in the kootneys and hunted many areas in the kootneys has one area on his list that he would like to experience. That would be the flathead. I have also convinced him that an multiday backpack hunt is in order as its something we haven't done together. I've been doing some googling and found Akamina kishinena provincial park it looks like beautiful country. We will be hunting sheep elk or deer not to picky but would like a chance to see some sheep in the wild. Has anyone hunted this area and can give me some heads up where to go more importantly where not to go? I appreciate any tips thanks

rbtw

phoenix
01-04-2014, 06:04 PM
We quit going to the Flathead about 10 years back as the G-bears were getting out of control. They took game from all of us in the field and raided camp a few times if we managed to get something back there. I don't know how it is now but I couldn't be bothered driving that far to feed some bears.
Kim

Quesnel Kid
01-04-2014, 07:20 PM
It is true there are plenty of bears but more then that the flat head has grown up a lot it is not the prime ungulate habitat it once was. That said I found an 8x8 elk skull in there 2 years ago so the animals are there they just have more places to hide. Access will be your biggest challenge and elevation restrictions for quads will prevent you from getting up into the park area unless on foot. There is a guide outfitter that runs out of there and he has horse trials into most of the basins that hold good elk numbers. Good luck it is a beautiful area to spend some time good bull trout in the flat head river starting Aug

QK

snareman1234
01-04-2014, 07:25 PM
Do not let the bears keep you out of there. Keep a "bear smart" camp and you will be in good shape. You will be especially safe on a backpack hunt, as the bears at the higher elevations are specializing on huckleberries at that time of year. Go take a look in that country, it is beautiful.

rocksteady
01-04-2014, 07:30 PM
Every problem Grizz, that was live trapped and "relocated", they were ALL sent down the flathead. This occurred for many, many years, as the Flatheadborders huge areas of true wilderness. Glacier park to the South, Waterton to the East...

budismyhorse
01-05-2014, 10:24 AM
Great country.... Not much pressure as the access is pretty rough getting in. You will be totally on your own if you plan on getting back into a road closure. Elk are there but the park soaks up a lot and they stay there due to the security. Single bulls are usually seen travelling looking for the pockets of cows and calves. So do a lot of glassing. Normally they will be tucked up in the backs of basins so it won't be easy! It's huge dirty country... Lots of blowdown and over grown timber. Few to no clearings so you will earn every mile. That said there is a huge network of old trails and roads so that may make life easier with careful planning.
The local outfitter kills very large elk so good genetics and you have picked an adventure!

rides bike to work
01-05-2014, 11:07 AM
Anyone know about sheep in there is it sheepy at all am i getting warm for a sheep spot

GoatGuy
01-05-2014, 12:18 PM
Great country.... Not much pressure as the access is pretty rough getting in. You will be totally on your own if you plan on getting back into a road closure. Elk are there but the park soaks up a lot and they stay there due to the security. Single bulls are usually seen travelling looking for the pockets of cows and calves. So do a lot of glassing. Normally they will be tucked up in the backs of basins so it won't be easy! It's huge dirty country... Lots of blowdown and over grown timber. Few to no clearings so you will earn every mile. That said there is a huge network of old trails and roads so that may make life easier with careful planning.
The local outfitter kills very large elk so good genetics and you have picked an adventure!

Listen to this guy.......

GoatGuy
01-05-2014, 12:18 PM
Anyone know about sheep in there is it sheepy at all am i getting warm for a sheep spot

Need to head north of there for sheep. Very, very few that ever pop in to that area.

budismyhorse
01-05-2014, 02:59 PM
Tough tough spot for sheep..... You'd have to be double lucky.... Much better juuuuust north ;)