PDA

View Full Version : Outfitter and rut timing

Moosegooser
01-04-2014, 03:12 PM
Has anyone hunted moose with Tahltan Outfitters, and the only spot left is 9/12 - 23? Is that too early?

604redneck
01-04-2014, 03:25 PM
no its not too early.

bearvalley
01-04-2014, 07:25 PM
It's not too early and Carmen does have some good moose.

yama49
01-04-2014, 09:22 PM
Not to early , but a week later would b better. Decent moose country. JMO

Moosegooser
01-04-2014, 11:09 PM
Thanks to all replies! He may have an opening Oct 4-12, so now I have to decide which is better...............

01-04-2014, 11:32 PM
I would choose the October dates for sure.

bearvalley
01-05-2014, 12:04 AM
Tell the boys you will buy the beer if they put you right in the middle of the 2 choices. Would be just Perfect.

604redneck
01-05-2014, 02:45 AM
I would take the sept one imo but thats just me....Ive called in some real good bulls for clients in mid september but have also called in good bulls in october.

Darksith
01-05-2014, 11:00 AM
I would take the sept hunt. The problem with the oct hunt is it might land right in between first and second rut, which means the moose are recovering and not moving as much. The sept hunt will land right smack on the prerut, which you can see lots of action. I don't know where the area is, but if you are close to the yukon boarder that is probably the ideal time. The moose will be rutting hard and moving getting ready for the ladies to give them a green light. Been north too late and disappointed before, so sept 13 is usually the time I want to start my 10 day hunt up north looking for horny moose

Moosegooser
01-05-2014, 11:22 AM
Thanks to you guys for your input. I got skunked around Smithers 2 years ago and hope to up the odds by going north. It just gets spendier and spendier.........

yama49
01-05-2014, 11:28 AM
I would take the sept hunt. The problem with the oct hunt is it might land right in between first and second rut, which means the moose are recovering and not moving as much. The sept hunt will land right smack on the prerut, which you can see lots of action. I don't know where the area is, but if you are close to the yukon boarder that is probably the ideal time. The moose will be rutting hard and moving getting ready for the ladies to give them a green light. Been north too late and disappointed before, so sept 13 is usually the time I want to start my 10 day hunt up north looking for horny moose

If you were disappointed, at the end of sept , early october , u were in the wrong area.. JMO

yama49
01-05-2014, 11:30 AM
Thanks to you guys for your input. I got skunked around Smithers 2 years ago and hope to up the odds by going north. It just gets spendier and spendier.........

You are going be in a much more productive area, this time around..

GoatGuy
01-05-2014, 12:23 PM
Early sept can be a great hunt as well right after the big bulls have cleaned up the paddles look like satellite dishes.

That country has some great moose.

Darksith
01-05-2014, 12:27 PM
If you were disappointed, at the end of sept , early october , u were in the wrong area.. JMO

sometimes you have to live with the spot you are at if you are on a fly in or hike in. Its not like we didn't harvest an animal, but we didn't see the amount of animals we were hoping for. And even then timing is a big thing. You don't want to be hunting right after the rut ends, the moose sometimes are simply hiding in the timber, rather than being out in the swamps and marshes. Ive been to some areas right at the end of september where the moose were simply help up in the timber and not coming out, and we were very mobile on some of those hunts, covering 100's of Km's. Makes it tough if they aren't responding to calls. Pre rut and rut are the best times to be hunting moose IMO, post rut can be tough, and 2nd rut things can heat up again. I would take pre rut everytime rather than chance hitting a post rut scenario where the moose are hunkered down