PDA

View Full Version : Letter to my MLA

two-feet
01-03-2014, 09:58 PM
To Doug Donaldson, MLA for Stikine:

I am a lifelong resident of the Bulkley Valley and I am very passionate about hunting and the management of the wildlife in our local area, as well as in our province and country in general. As a tax payer I feel more resources should be put towards the creation, improvement and maintenance of quality habitat for species such as moose, deer, caribou and elk. Hunting brings a large economic boost to our northern economy and is an important part of our heritage. With proper funding and support our valuable game animals can thrive for future generations, enabling our northern culture and businesses to prosper. I will certainly vote for the person that supports our wildlife and hunting opportunities.

Thank you for your time,

So here is the letter I have written to my MLA. Pretty basic, but I am a pretty basic guy. I realize I was fairly short on specific recommendations but I am no biologist, I would love some feed back from some of you informed people out there. Maybe some others can post up their letters for us to see, maybe some will be motivated to write one to their MLA?

As a side note, I have several friends who work as biologists for the provincial govt and they say nothing gets the attention of the minister like a letter.

Drillbit
01-03-2014, 10:03 PM
If you really want their attention, mail it. Hand written is even better.

Emails don't carry any weight.

coach
01-03-2014, 10:23 PM
Great effort, two-feet! We need many more people like you doing the same. IMO - an important message that fits with yours is to suggest that all money from hunting and fishing license sales should go directly back into the resource.

Iltasyuko
01-03-2014, 11:10 PM
It's great you took the time to write and thanks for posting up on here. Letters do make impressions on decision makers.

J-F
01-04-2014, 01:14 AM
If you really want their attention, mail it. Hand written is even better.

Emails don't carry any weight.

I don't think so.

I emailed my MLA (Todd Stone, Kamloops South) a month ago with similar concerns. He called me at home, left a message since I was at work, and also replied by email.

Make yourself heard. Our outdoor passions need us to survive to the next generations.

JF

Papa Sasquatch
01-04-2014, 02:07 AM
I totally agree that letters to governments are an awesome tool as they must be kept in files with records as well as been responded and therefore never be denied contrary to phone calls that are too often forgotten the moment following the click sound.
Being involved in the solution is 83.7% of the result process. Nothing says I care like a few blisters and dirt under the finger nails. The forest, much like the city parks needs attention. So many people complaint about cigarette butts or granola bar wrappers from the forest floor but so few bend over to pick em up.
Please find a Tim Horton near you cause you deserve a treat.

two-feet
01-04-2014, 03:41 PM
Thanks for the input guys. I included the bit about putting the $ from hunting licences back into the resource, thanks Coach. And I ended up sending it as an e-mail as it is 2014 and my penmanship is shit. If he comes back to me with a response I will post it up for all to see