PDA

View Full Version : Preserve Wild Boar hunts

longshotz
01-03-2014, 06:40 PM
Thinking of a preserve style Wild Boar hunt in either Alberta or Saskatchewan.
Anyone who has actually hunted there, and willing to share their experience would be sincerely appreciated. Respectfully asking only for first hand, been there done that, boots on the ground info please and thanks.
Photos if you've got them would be good.
FYI. I have been hunting big game and waterfowl for about 45 years, so please factor this in with your feedback.

bandit
01-09-2014, 01:10 PM
Me and a buddy hunted Hogwild in AB a couple of years ago. It's only a quarter section with about half grass and half woodland. It was not particularly challenging unless you use a bow (they had loaner crossbows if needed). PM me if you want some specifics.

sheephunterab
01-09-2014, 01:39 PM
Kind of a fun day for some buddies to get together but as bandit said, it's not really much of a challenge. Still a fun time though.

BiG Boar
01-09-2014, 01:44 PM
Definitely a guaranteed hunt. No challenge what so ever. May as well go to the local pig farm, and ask to shoot a pig.

Gateholio
01-09-2014, 02:59 PM
I went to a ranch in Ontario and did it ( bows only)

What a blast. Russian boars running, arrows flying, did drives and still hunted a bit.

Was as it fair chase hunting? Of course not, but it wasn't exactly easy, either. I've killed lots of livestock and there is no comparison. Never been to Alberta or Sask to do it though.

Bottom line one is that it was a really fun way to put some free range pork in the freezer! :)

bandit
01-17-2014, 08:49 PM
For what it's worth the boar I got in AB didn't taste too good. It was a stationary head shot which died instantly and gutted within 30 minutes in 5C weather so definitely wasn't the adrenaline or handling. Yet boar I have hunted in Europe that were chased by dogs for a fair time then left for a few hours have tasted amazing! Maybe it's something to do with the diet...