PDA

View Full Version : New rifle

sako04
01-03-2014, 03:14 PM
Gonna be buying a new rifle I've narrowed it down to either a sako finnlight or grey wolf and it will be in either a 300wsm or 300 win mag

anyone own or have shot either of these guns what do u think. I've heard people say the finnlight has to much recoil in the 300. Thoughts on either?

BiG Boar
01-03-2014, 03:41 PM
I own the grey wolf in 300wm. Best all around gun I own. I have shot the finn light and both have their purpose. If you're doing more shooting, get the grey wolf, if you're doing more back packing, get the Finn light. I went with the wm over the wsm because of easier access to ammo.

scottwh
01-03-2014, 04:10 PM
I shoot a finnlite in 300wm. It too is my go to gun. Recoil isnt bad at all. I put a limbsaver on mine. Nice thing about the 300 wm is it will handle heavier bullets way better if needed. You will be happy with a sako for sure!

RoscoeP
01-03-2014, 04:21 PM
I have a Fin-light in 7mm-08 and had one in .308 and had one in 7mm-08 prior to that. If I were you I would go with the Grey Wolf in the caliber you want, I could feel the difference in the 7mm-08 and the .308 in recoil. Good luck, great guns. Cheers Roscoe

rcar
01-03-2014, 04:24 PM
I recently went to a "one gun" solution for all of my hunting. Decided on a Finnlight 300WM with a Swaro Z5 3.5-18. Although it isn't perfect for everything, it shoots like a dream and with the limbsaver I don't even notice the recoil when hunting.

I am now narrowing the decision on a go to factory round as I don't reload.

You can't go wrong with either rifle in either calibre.

Iltasyuko
01-03-2014, 06:07 PM
I have the Finnlight in .300wsm. The recoil seems light to me, maybe the stock is well designed (though not super pretty) it sure doesn't feel bad at all for recoil with the factory pad. The WM will have a small edge with the longest .308 bullets, just seems the guys I know that mention this never actually do load super heavy .308 bullets - more of a point of conversation. The WSM handles the 180 TSX just fine - not really sure if there is much practical use in going bigger than that in .308 for BC game. Nice options you selected - enjoy whatever you go with.

BlacktailStalker
01-03-2014, 06:48 PM
I shoot an 85 finnlight in 300wsm. Had it since the year they came out, aside from a bit of miniscule pitting on the barrel despite being well taken care of, great gun.
The stocks are junk but I haven't replaced it yet.

deer nut
01-03-2014, 07:04 PM
I own the grey wolf in 300wm. Best all around gun I own. I have shot the finn light and both have their purpose. If you're doing more shooting, get the grey wolf, if you're doing more back packing, get the Finn light. I went with the wm over the wsm because of easier access to ammo.
BigBoar has good taste in rifles! I have the Finnlight in 300 win mag and love it!

Ogopogo
01-05-2014, 08:31 PM
I use to own a finn light in a 300wsm, never got any groupings better than an 1 1/2" at 100yds. I also had a limb saver on it and didn't find the recoil to be bad, but what I did find was because the gun is lighter, it seems to wanna jump out of your hands while taking a shot, it just didn't seem very smooth compared to my 7mm rem. mag. a-bolt which is a heavier gun. If I were to get another sako I think I would opt for the heavier grey wolf in a 7mm or a regular 300. Although I did like how the overall length was shorter on a 300 wsm, but I don't see myself getting another gun in a 300 short mag anytime soon because of that experience. Hope that helps ya.

deer nut
01-05-2014, 09:22 PM
That's unfortunate Ogopogo, my experience has been much more positive. The Finnlight is the most accurate I've owned, or rather, is the rifle I can shoot most accurately. Unfortunately you can't really test drive rifles before you buy them! I might opt for the laminate stock myself if buying another though. I don't like the fact that the gray grip pads on the Finnlight stock wear, but I have carried it quite a bit....