PDA

View Full Version : Sausage Casings

Piperdown
01-03-2014, 12:37 PM
As the title says, where can you get them and what do you folks recommend. Have a buddy who just bought a meat grinder and wants to try some of my moose meat out :) thanks in advance.

Pdown.

Philcott
01-03-2014, 12:56 PM
If you call ahead you can sometimes get it at the red barn market on Vanalman. Being in sooke you might try the one on Latoria. There is a meaty market on the main drag going in to Duncan before you get to the river if coming in from the south. There may be other places local that I don't know about and of course it can be ordered from Vancouver.

For a first time try I would suggest the collagen casings instead of natural. Just my thoughts.

Wild Images
01-03-2014, 01:30 PM
http://www.stuffers.com/

Web by
01-03-2014, 02:21 PM
Go with natural casings. They are more forgiving and flexible than collagen. If you are smoking any they take the smoke much better. Most butchers have them. Use what you need and then repack the unused in salt for next time. The smaller packs you can order from Cabelas etc. are not as good quality as casings I've purchased from the butcher.

Colinofthewoods
01-03-2014, 02:29 PM
I bought collagen ones and counldnt use them. The attachment on my canadian tire grinder is tapered and the collagen didnt stretch enough to go on more than a bit. I then bought natural casings and they worked awesome. Bought them at cowichan valley meat market beside the old farm market in Duncan.

K-1
01-03-2014, 02:53 PM
Glenwood Meats have both kind.

ultramafic
01-03-2014, 03:05 PM
think you can order online at stuffers ( google them ) in Langley... I would suggest the ends not the whole casing however cause the wholes are very long and can be a bit of a pain on smaller equipment. they sell their ends very reasonably priced and they are in a much more manageable size and length.

mike

Mikey Rafiki
01-03-2014, 03:26 PM
https://www.halfordsmailorder.com/eSource/ecom/eSource/items/2-S1-lV1BS-lV2B-CASING.aspx?store=

I've sourced them from several butchers locally but this is the best I have ever used. They casing is already fed on a piece of plastic so you just slip in onto the stuffing tube rather than having a bunch knotted up in a ball. They also tend to burst a lot less. Great size selection too.

I've never had any luck with synthetic casing and will never try them again.

Piperdown
01-03-2014, 04:16 PM
Thanks a bunch for the replys folks!

srupp
01-04-2014, 11:04 AM
hmmm don't forget if they are frozen ,soak them in ice -/cold water for 24 hours to get them "pliant"
The biggest skill is using the correct pressure to fill yet not over fill the casings..it actually becomes a literal feeling out process...also a trick is to buy a small air release tool...small pice of plastic or wood with 6-8 needle like projections that you "pop" into the length of sausage before twisting into lings AND THEN let settle so the air does not form pockets..and as links are formed more air escapes...

synthetic casings ie for breakfast casing /sausage are very susceptiple to deterioration from ANY WATER..so dry hands dry working surface etc..and of course these symthetics don't need water or anything on the tubes..

Finally do not forget to add water to your sausage mixture..if the recipe does not include x amount of pounds of water to Y amount of sausage ingredients..go to another recipe..

I have found a wonderful mixer for sausage that makes the process faster and truly does mix water meat and ingredients well,,however if not clean out the sink well and mix it in the sink..doesn't move and does a good job..

I learned from a master sausage maker..on a one on one apprenticeship...

cheers

Steven

markomoose
01-04-2014, 05:34 PM
Good advice steve.took me a lot of trial & error to get the right combo.my sausage always turned out dry until i started putting water into the mix. Cheers mm

M.Dean
01-05-2014, 10:11 AM
I use the Collagen casings all the time for our Maple Smoked Breakfast Sausages, and yes, you have to have a small, straight tube attachment for your stuffer. You use them dry, don't try to soak them, they will fall apart. When making our larger Sausage, like Med Italian or Bratwurst etc, I use the larger Hog Casings, they come Salted, what I do is put the bag full in a bowl in the sink, then start running cold water over them, as I do I start to unravel them, I pick easy one thats sticking out, and gently start pulling it free. Once I get as much as will come out, I turn the water down real low and stick the end of the casing over the tap end. If you do it right, the water will follow the casing like a water hose, when it comes out the far end your read to stuff. Also, if your having a bit of trouble getting the casing on the tapered tube, put some veggie oil or butter on the tube shaft, works great! If I don't use all the casings I pour more Course Salt into the bag before putting them back in the freezer. I get all my casings from Summit Gourmet Meats, in the Mall across from the Super Store in Kamloops. Coopers Meat Market will some times sell Hog casings too. Another thing we do, now that were talking about making Sausages is, when we make Maple Breakfast Sausages, we also make a bunch of Breakfast Paddy's, they taste great when making Egg and Sausage English Muffins for Breakfast!!! Now back to the topic of "Sausage Casings"!

M.Dean
01-05-2014, 10:14 AM
P/S, Sometime try soaking your Hog or Sheep casings with some Liquid Smoke Flavor for a half hour or so before using them, really adds a nice smoked taste!!!

elkhunterette
01-05-2014, 11:28 AM
I use the Collagen casings all the time for our Maple Smoked Breakfast Sausages, and yes, you have to have a small, straight tube attachment for your stuffer. You use them dry, don't try to soak them, they will fall apart. When making our larger Sausage, like Med Italian or Bratwurst etc, I use the larger Hog Casings, they come Salted, what I do is put the bag full in a bowl in the sink, then start running cold water over them, as I do I start to unravel them, I pick easy one thats sticking out, and gently start pulling it free. Once I get as much as will come out, I turn the water down real low and stick the end of the casing over the tap end. If you do it right, the water will follow the casing like a water hose, when it comes out the far end your read to stuff. Also, if your having a bit of trouble getting the casing on the tapered tube, put some veggie oil or butter on the tube shaft, works great! If I don't use all the casings I pour more Course Salt into the bag before putting them back in the freezer. I get all my casings from Summit Gourmet Meats, in the Mall across from the Super Store in Kamloops. Coopers Meat Market will some times sell Hog casings too. Another thing we do, now that were talking about making Sausages is, when we make Maple Breakfast Sausages, we also make a bunch of Breakfast Paddy's, they taste great when making Egg and Sausage English Muffins for Breakfast!!! Now back to the topic of "Sausage Casings"!

I have trouble twisting the collagen casings, they seem to unravel - any hints?

srupp
01-05-2014, 11:49 AM
I stick the stuffed casings in the freezer for 45 minutes..firms up the links and meat...pinch and twist...

steven