PDA

View Full Version : first time duck hunter with no luck

Shea_G
01-03-2014, 10:05 AM
This is my first year I've gotten all my paper work together and trying to give duck hunting a go. I've been out 4 times with my dad, tried boundary bay and Lardner marsh but not once have we ever seen a duck come close enough to take a shot. Both in full camp, hidden well, have a good number of decoys, been in all types of weather and tides but it just doesn't seem like there are any ducks out there. Are these just not great places to go? Or is it a bad time of year? Any suggestions?

Kudu
01-03-2014, 10:22 AM
This is my first year I've gotten all my paper work together and trying to give duck hunting a go. I've been out 4 times with my dad, tried boundary bay and Lardner marsh but not once have we ever seen a duck come close enough to take a shot. Both in full camp, hidden well, have a good number of decoys, been in all types of weather and tides but it just doesn't seem like there are any ducks out there. Are these just not great places to go? Or is it a bad time of year? Any suggestions?

The ducks have been shot at for a couple of months now and only the bright ones have survived - the stupid ones have been removed from the gene pool.

To be successful now, you have to be smarter than all the hunters that got to those spots before you did, or you need to find private land where the ducks have had it easy and are still kinda dumb!

Stop hunting ducks now and start watching ducks, pattern them - find their honey holes and ambush them.

Good luck and happy hunting

kyleklassen
01-03-2014, 07:32 PM
you might do better up the Harrison way....I've heard it's been good...worth a look.

Kudu
01-04-2014, 05:43 PM
you might do better up the Harrison way....I've heard it's been good...worth a look.

Sure - go and find some private land around Harrison ...I have heard that the geese just tumble out the skies there!

http://i1290.photobucket.com/albums/b535/privateaffair/cc4e63e230cb033a2edec622ecd4e85e_zpsff495fa5.jpg

kyleklassen
01-04-2014, 07:40 PM
I believe it's ducks he' s after....and 6 geese wouldn't be worth the trip. But a boat load of divers from the river would be.

trail blazer
01-04-2014, 08:32 PM
Where in boundary bay were you hunting? The area has been good to me over the years and I don't use decoys.

Kudu
01-04-2014, 09:40 PM
I believe it's ducks he' s after....and 6 geese wouldn't be worth the trip. But a boat load of divers from the river would be.

My - you seem to know a lot about the Harrison - you do you have a boat don't you? - are you going to come and show them where to go, only 20 days to go now - hurry, hurry, hurry........ A boat load of divers will be worth your while eh?

Thought not! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

kyleklassen
01-05-2014, 01:53 PM
not worth my while I've got a little spot close to home.