PDA

View Full Version : My first earnest Blacktail hunt

CSG
01-03-2014, 02:16 AM
Before I tell you the story of my first real Blacktail hunt I would like to send a thanks out to ProGuide for his great thread about Trophy Blacktail hunting and also my friend rbest for being a big part of this hunt.

This is going to sound a little sappy to some but I need to give you the context of how I feel about Blacktails.

Although my heart now lives in Kamloops I am a Vancouver boy through and through. All through my formative years I played in the forests of the West Coast and the Gulf Islands. I didnt see alot of deer growing up and still to this day when I am out in the bush around Vancouver I dont see a ton of deer. To be honest, except for the many that browse on the property at my cabin on Gabriola I have only seen 1 buck in a hunt-able area before 2013 and due to our lack of knowledge of private property boundaries, Rbest and I had to pass on him.

Because of how few I have seen in my life and because of the stories I read from people like ProGuide, in my mind I had elevated the Coastal Blacktail to near mythical status. As far as elusiveness and rarity, the Coastal Blacktail buck was second only to the Unicorn.

So a month and some ago when Rbest and I decided to go for a local Blacktail hunt I had resigned myself to a cold and very wet hike in the bush with my gun slung over my shoulder. In the month or so leading up to this hunt, since I had taken my mule deer, I had been motivated by Proguides thread to start looking in my backyard for deer as opposed to my usual Kamloops areas. The amount of knowledge he was willing to share boosted my confidence to think that I was almost a sure thing I would find a blacktail buck despite the complete lack of scouting I had done haha.

After spending hours reading Proguides thread and scouting late night by Google Earth, Rbest and I set out on a very wet, cold and dark morning. After a quick sausage Mcmuffin we were on our way into the bush. I had scouted out an area that seemed close to a driveable road that also seem to have all the characteristics I had read would harbour Blacktails. After a couple hour drive Rbest and I were hiking up a ridiculous ankle breaking river over snow covered rocks. We bushwacked and sweated our way up the side of a mountain all the while finding minute traces of deer but not seeing a thing. Rbest kept suggesting we should check out another spot he knew close by were he had seen sign but I was determined that the spot we were in was better country. After sloggin through the salal for way too long and soaking every thing we were wearing we headed back to the truck and went to the spot my buddy suggested.

The 20 minute drive had us into a spot I felt had had a ton of pressure already. I resigned myself to walking through an area I thought would be fruitless. We walked down an overgrown logging road for 150 yards until we walked to the edge of a small draw that was cleared years ago. We surveyed the draw for 10 seconds and my buddy announced in a not so quiet voice that we had taken the wrong logging road and we werent in the spot he thought we were in. He gave a quick doe bleat on his call and a second later I see a deer saunter up the other side of the draw and stand on the hill looking at us. I raise my rifle and find the deer in the scope...doe.

I only started hunting a couple years ago but one of the first things I was taught is that bucks are usually at the back of the pack following the does. Being that we were in the middle of the rut i moved my scope down the trail through the 12 foot trees and into my scope comes another deer. A buck. 80 yards out. At no point did I ever look directly at the antlers, I caught the dark mahogany of them out of my peripheral through the scope and I new right away there was bone and that was good enough for me.

I placed the cross hairs onto his vitals but the top of a tree was covering them. I havent really had buck fever until I had this elusive near mythical buck in my sights. I was shaking like a leaf and I knew i had to move a couple steps to the left. Without taking my eye out of the scope I took two steps to the left all the while thinking I would watch this guy jump away while I could do nothing about it. My buddy was frozen and couldnt see what I was aiming at, he was frozen just watching me.

Despite my shaking I was able to keep the crosshairs in the vitals and I slowly squeezed the trigger on my new 270 Win Tikka T3. The gun shot like a dream and i was able to watch the buck jump up the other side of the draw with no sign of me hitting him.... WTF? We watch another doe behind him run up the hill and they are gone. Did I really just miss on the very first Blacktail buck I have lined up on?

We walked across the draw as I told my buddy my version of the details. I was sure I had hit him but he didnt react like he was hit at all. I had to hold myself back from a small high five with my buddy until we could find the deer. Walked up the spot where he was standing and there was nothing on the ground, not a drop of blood. My heart was pretty heavy until I looked up the hill and saw a big blood trail in the snow. We ran up the hill and fond the buck pilled up at the base of some trees not 25 yards from where I shot him. The relief of finding him was soon replaced by excitement when I realized I had taken a 3X2! The excitement was even more intense when I realized upon grabbing the antlers that the moss was hiding the fact that he was a 3X3!

Anyways, this story is getting long and you all know how the rest goes.

With one of my best friends I had taken my first Coastal Blacktail and I couldnt have been more excited. Below are a couple pics of him. Although I will get some laughs at my expense I even posted up the pic of me celebrating that Rbest took without my knowledge. I think you can see how excited I was haha

Proguide, as I said in your Trophy Blacktail thread, I owe you a beer next time I drive through Pemberton for the knowledge and inspiration I got from your Trophy Blacktail thread!

Rbest, I wouldnt have wanted anyone else with me when I got my first Blacktail. Thank you for convincing me to walk through an area I thought would be barren of deer haha

http://i1283.photobucket.com/albums/a547/CSG83/IMG_1082_zps6de91069.jpg (http://s1283.photobucket.com/user/CSG83/media/IMG_1082_zps6de91069.jpg.html)

http://i1283.photobucket.com/albums/a547/CSG83/IMG_1070_zpse828852e.jpg (http://s1283.photobucket.com/user/CSG83/media/IMG_1070_zpse828852e.jpg.html)

http://i1283.photobucket.com/albums/a547/CSG83/IMG_1066_zpsae40ee15.jpg (http://s1283.photobucket.com/user/CSG83/media/IMG_1066_zpsae40ee15.jpg.html)

Also the first time I have put a deer in my Defender 90...Its a little tight haha

http://i1283.photobucket.com/albums/a547/CSG83/IMG_1086_zps8604d869.jpg (http://s1283.photobucket.com/user/CSG83/media/IMG_1086_zps8604d869.jpg.html)

I just mounted the antlers over the holidays, my first mount

http://i1283.photobucket.com/albums/a547/CSG83/IMG_1506_zps749402c6.jpg (http://s1283.photobucket.com/user/CSG83/media/IMG_1506_zps749402c6.jpg.html)

bridger
01-03-2014, 04:45 AM
Very nice! Congrats!

hunter1947
01-03-2014, 04:46 AM
Very nice BTD you got its nice to had seen this deer after you shot it nice to see the final results on the plaque antlers nice wright up congrats to you ,,thanks for sharing all with us members..

5 spike
01-03-2014, 05:54 AM
Awesome first blacktail congrats to you guys.

markomoose
01-03-2014, 06:39 AM
good blacktail man.nice mount

kennyj
01-03-2014, 07:56 AM
Thats an awesome first Black Tail!! Congratulations.
kenny

pin_head
01-03-2014, 08:45 AM
Great buck, you've certainly earned my jealousy! I love the mount too!

cheers,
Brad

1980skywalker
01-03-2014, 08:46 AM
Congrats on your first Blacktail, I really like the way you did the mount, I have never seen it done that way before.

fuzzybiscuit
01-03-2014, 08:57 AM
Congrats on your first Blacktail and a great one at that. Love the pic with it in the back of the Defender. I bet you glanced over your shoulder a few times on the drive out.

Kudos to ProGuide for inspiring another hunter to get out there and get it done!

beeker
01-03-2014, 09:00 AM
Congrats! Thanks for sharing.

CSG
01-03-2014, 10:18 AM
Thanks for the comments

Love the pic with it in the back of the Defender. I bet you glanced over your shoulder a few times on the drive out.

Yes there was more than a few glances over the shoulder on the drive home haha

Blair
01-03-2014, 10:28 AM
Beauty! You might see a lot more Blacktail bucks before you see another that nice.

IronNoggin
01-03-2014, 11:44 AM
... in my mind I had elevated the Coastal Blacktail to near mythical status. As far as elusiveness and rarity, the Coastal Blacktail buck was second only to the Unicorn...

Pretty much Nailed that one! :wink:

Congratulations on a Very Fine Blacktail for your first!
Great write-up, great pix, and a Wonderful Feeling eh!

Just one Warning - These Timber Ghosts can (usually do) get Damn ADDICTIVE!! :twisted:

Cheers,
Nog

albravo2
01-03-2014, 11:56 AM
Absolutely awesome! Good for you. Great story.

rbest
01-03-2014, 12:50 PM
Great story and great day! I'm glad I could be a part of that hunt! Walking up to the buck, I had no idea CSG had shot a nice BT. I was expecting a spiker..... I saw him raise his gun, and I didn't want to move and scare anything. So I just stood still...... When we found him, and CSG lifted his head, we were both amazed. We definitely put in the sweat for that boy! Was an epic day in our beautiful Coastal Mountains. Congrats again buddy!

joehunter
01-03-2014, 10:03 PM
I got my first this season as well. I thought I did OK for a starter but after seeing the wood on your first I'm gonna' have to seriously up my game come the fall. Congrats! Now wifey hates you, the months of September/October/November and HBC :razz: Nice Buck CSG.

redthorn
01-03-2014, 10:15 PM
This guy would be a fine blacktail and trophy even if he was your 20th.

Thanks for sharing your stoke!

Wentrot
01-03-2014, 10:21 PM
Very nice - congratulations!

kyleklassen
01-03-2014, 10:41 PM
beauty...not too many where the main beams nearly touch....I only have 1

coach
01-03-2014, 10:53 PM
Geez, and here I thought I read on HBC that Proguide's season and thread were a complete disappointment. :-D

Outstanding story and pictures, CSG. Awesome blacktail - be it your first or twenty-first! It's so nice to read a thread where the OP is truly appreciative of the knowledge picked up from experienced hunters like Proguide who are willing to share here on HBC. Great assist, Steve!

Blainer
01-03-2014, 10:58 PM
Great share!!

CSG
01-05-2014, 09:22 PM
beauty...not too many where the main beams nearly touch....I only have 1

Yeah I thought it was kind of weird at first, now i think it looks cool. In order to rub his velvet off he would have had to use some pretty small trees to fit in between the points. One tip is just slightly broken off too, maybe he got caught on a tree and freaked out haha

ElliotMoose
01-06-2014, 08:38 AM
Awesome blacktail! Congrats to you. Elusive creatures to say the least

proguide66
01-31-2014, 10:22 AM
I missed this , ( probably lots actually as I never have time on here lately. ) What a hoot ! Proof that helping people is a GOOD THING !!!

The OP pm'd me asking me to post my 'hunt calendar' for btails.
To be honest , I don't really have a set 'schedule' for chasing them. I am looking at 'anything' basically yr round. I go hiking into 'weird' spots randomly during the off season to kill my curiosity , sometimes its a bingo , sometimes a dud. No snow on the ground in spring is super fun before the leaves choke up the ground so soon as I can , I start hiking 'up' to find the new 'treasures' on the ground and 'hopefully' find an antler off a monster buck I never knew of. THEN ( if found) its GAME ON .....I then start obsessing about him , wonder where hes growing , how he eluded my eyes , where his girlfriends must be , basically start the relentless pursuit. ....then find another one and another one , then 'try' and NOT find another one because it just gets to confusing and time consuming.
For me personally , I am not addicted to 'hunting blacktails' , I am addicted to hunting ONE blacktail. I love it! 'knowing' there is such a crazy huge and basically absolute rare , elusive animal running around that damned mtn and I cant find him drives me nuts!!! The knowledge you gain along the ride is huge.
'Driving' up to a slash and dropping a deer and going home is 'good' for lots. BUT , staying on ONE deer non stop creates a shit load of knowledge you would never get any other way. The 'journey' is typically long and drawn out , usually for years. Never quitting and staying on it is a sweet ride to say the least.

So , I guess 'if' there was a calendar it would go like this,

spring time , shed hunting like a dog until the forest greens up.

late summer I will be making maybe 4 or 5 salt licks in the alpine (first time last year for this)
late sept , put cams on all the trails I 'know' a monster buck has walked.
last week Oct - ITS ON-.
( I look for 'spots' year round)

Greats tory , keep us posted on future ones !!

CSG
01-31-2014, 07:46 PM
Thanks Proguide,

I really like the way you talk about hunting just one buck and focusing all your energy on that one guy. Appreciate the calendar too

When would coastal blacktails around whistler roughly drop their antlers? And what sort of areas would one look to find them? on trails? in the thick stuff?

avadad
02-01-2014, 12:34 AM
cool story, great buck.

BearSupreme
02-18-2014, 08:43 PM
what a great black tail! I started learning to hunt on Vancouver Island and I cant say I miss it, maybe when im a bit more experienced in hunting I will enjoy the frustration of looking for those elusive deer. I got a 3 point, but it was one of the smaller deer I got on the island, I got a weird looking spiker that was 20 lbs bigger. Congrats on the deer and the adventure!