PDA

View Full Version : Almost became kitty food !

rocksteady
01-02-2014, 10:01 PM
So, went out coyote hunting today, covered several of my fave spots, no luck.

Drive to a different area, where in about 50 yards of walking, you can glass huge sections of the kootenay river for yotes or tracks...

So I hike to the edge of the cutbank, glass for a couple minutes, put the glasses down. Here is cougar about 20 yards away, in a semi crouch, wigglin its rear end. Luckily, it was down a fairly steep embankment, so I just remained calm and backed away. Almost right to the truck.

It was feeding/guarding some roadkill that had been tossed by highways crews. I had my rifle on my shoulder, but no tag and did not feel super threatened.

Left a definite trail of urine and feces, from the spot back to my truck, I think.

Bought a tag, as soon as I got home. Hopefully it will still be munching roadkill, come Saturday.

deer nut
01-02-2014, 10:05 PM
Wow! There's something about a close encounter with a cat! I've only had one encounter so far and it was thrilling. I also have vowed never to be tagless again....good luck!

deerhunter123
01-02-2014, 10:07 PM
wow too bad

knighthunter
01-02-2014, 10:18 PM
Shouldn't have any problem finding that spot again, leaving a trail like that. LOL

Rackmastr
01-02-2014, 10:22 PM
Thats pretty cool man!! A bit freaky for sure as well! Hope he's still there when you go back!!!

I have a tag but havent got out hardly at all this year! Need to get out and look for some wolves and cats one day....

Kudu
01-02-2014, 11:19 PM
Ok scratch that - 20 documented cases of cougars killing humans in North America - (Google is my friend - ha ha)

brian
01-02-2014, 11:26 PM
A few people have, unfortunately it's mostly kids.

here is an incomplete list http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_fatal_cougar_attacks_in_North_America

sawmill
01-03-2014, 09:31 AM
Anybody going fishing at WhiteSwan should be aware that there are 2 cats hanging around there right now,a friends dog got killed there last weekend.

hunter1947
01-03-2014, 12:31 PM
Go get it tomorrow Mike good luck..

Mathil
01-03-2014, 05:15 PM
From watching my hybrid serval cat hunt the house, the bum wiggling meant you were really close!