PDA

View Full Version : kamloops cougar

LBM
01-02-2014, 11:49 AM
Was wondering if any one knows what was on the leg of the cougar that killed the COs dog that was tracking it.
The report says wire around its leg but in the comment section someone says it was a snare. The report I watched
did not show the cats leg.
Thanks

Jagermeister
01-02-2014, 04:52 PM
It could have been a wolf set.

Jagermeister
01-02-2014, 04:56 PM
have you got a link to the report, post it please if you have.

LBM
01-02-2014, 05:11 PM
have you got a link to the report, post it please if you have.
My wife told me it was on the news but I missed it so I just googled cougar kills dog in Kamloops
I don't have the link, there was about 5 write ups and an interview with the CO.

Steve W
01-02-2014, 06:27 PM
It was a light weight wire snare with a locking device. Not heavy enough for a wolf snare.

http://www.theprovince.com/news/tracking+killed+line+duty+wounded+cougar/9336232/story.html

M.Dean
01-02-2014, 06:55 PM
I don't think anyone uses wire to trap Cougar's? The Cat I seen earlier this year was caught in a steel leg hold trap. I talked to a Sheep Ranch owner a few weeks ago that lives up here, she said they"ve been having lots of problems with Cats killing there animals this past year. I had a few guys tell me when the White Tail Deer numbers increase, so does the Cougar numbers? Sure is a lot more Cougar being spotted this past year compared to any other years I can remember. I had one jump out of the brush in front of me last fall, then started running down the trail, away from me, took a few more leaps and was gone! Get's a guys blood going for sure!!!

BCHunterTV
01-02-2014, 09:09 PM
id like to see a picture of the snare

Jagermeister
01-02-2014, 10:32 PM
It was a light weight wire snare with a locking device. Not heavy enough for a wolf snare.

http://www.theprovince.com/news/tracking+killed+line+duty+wounded+cougar/9336232/story.htmlI did not see that mentioned in the linked story.

Pete
01-03-2014, 06:35 AM
As a trapper we do not target Cougar. They are a big game species not a fur bearer. They are a pain!!! Cats being cats will go into Bobcat and Lynx sets as well as coyote stations. I get a cat hanging around I contact my Area outfitter or a good Houndsman to either harvest him or run him out of the area.