PDA

View Full Version : gold panning

sarg
01-01-2014, 10:28 PM
Went out gold panning today with a good buddy and this is are little haul out of 4 pans, its not much but still cool to find :)
https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/1526245_10151828533822400_1703182116_n.jpg

BCMarc
01-01-2014, 10:43 PM
Nice. Got the wife a little gold panning set up for Christmas. She's pretty pumped for the snow to melt around here to head to the river and give it a whirl.

sarg
01-01-2014, 10:47 PM
it was my first time finding gold :)

adriaticum
01-01-2014, 11:07 PM
Good on you. I recently thought about brining a gold pan whenever I go fishing/hunting. Makes sense.

#1fishslayer
01-01-2014, 11:10 PM
Great....got to love gold in the pan.

Big Lew
01-01-2014, 11:22 PM
Nice! It's pretty exciting when you actually get something when 'panning.' Many years ago a brother, a good friend, and I tried panning along the Fraser several miles above Yale with similar results. I actually found a small rivulet of water flowing over black sand between some boulders so panned the gravel and black sand from under a couple of the boulders, ending up with quite a bit of flower gold for my efforts. We didn't realize you needed a permit at the time, or that the area might have been staked.

squamishhunter
01-01-2014, 11:28 PM
You don't need a permit if you are outside of a placer reserve or mineral claim.

sarg
01-01-2014, 11:32 PM
This is from the river banks of the Fraser river in mission. We just had a fire and let the kids roast hot dog and skip rock as we panned a few pans, it was a good afternoon :)

sarg
01-01-2014, 11:33 PM
You don't need a permit if you are outside of a placer reserve or mineral claim.
But it can't be anything more then a gold pan.

Caveman
01-01-2014, 11:49 PM
Got a set for my birthday but haven't tried it out yet

squamishhunter
01-02-2014, 12:07 AM
But it can't be anything more then a gold pan.

And a shovel ;-)

Big Lew
01-02-2014, 12:38 AM
This is from the river banks of the Fraser river in mission. We just had a fire and let the kids roast hot dog and skip rock as we panned a few pans, it was a good afternoon :)

That's basically what we were doing...having a picnic and playing with the pans, but apparently where we were was mostly under mining license.

sarg
01-02-2014, 01:03 AM
That's basically what we were doing...having a picnic and playing with the pans, but apparently where we were was mostly under mining license.
ya it seem like anything past hope is clamed :icon_frow

kennyj
01-02-2014, 07:10 AM
Be careful! As I found out this summer gold panning is VERY addictive. But a lot of fun and good exersize.
kenny

blackwater moose
01-02-2014, 08:51 AM
we have a claim on south V.I, just waiting for the water to settle down

knighthunter
01-02-2014, 10:18 AM
My wife & I go to the public panning area at Yale once in awhile. We have also panned up at Likely/ Quesnel Forks and I've also been to the panning site west of Kamloops. I always carry a gold pan and classifier, shovel when out hunting.It's a fun time for us as we like to get out of the city.

Darksith
01-02-2014, 12:08 PM
I was told that it don't matter if it has a claim, you can still pan it...is this incorrect? But again, only pan and shovel, no sluicing...

kennyj
01-02-2014, 12:21 PM
I was told that it don't matter if it has a claim, you can still pan it...is this incorrect? But again, only pan and shovel, no sluicing...

Yes, that is incorrect. You need permission to pan on someones claim.

Ozone
01-02-2014, 12:40 PM
How does one find out if there is a claim? Any Google Earth maps?

knighthunter
01-02-2014, 12:42 PM
Anybody interested in panning supplies, we buy our's at SMI Electronic's in Langley. Also sells metal detectors.

HarryToolips
01-02-2014, 01:10 PM
Wicked man

srupp
01-02-2014, 01:16 PM
hmmm bcmarc...when your in town I will share some of my secret spots up Cunninham pass way..past Likely we always took the spring grizzly clients gold panning once or twice..actually I have founf quite a lot of gold nuggets and flower?flour? gold...the biggest was $1800 and its made into a necklace pennant..I had some smaller nuggets made into earings for Susan and some into small glass container for necklace...knew one place that was a lease and the individual showed me 3 QUART GLASS JARS full of nuggets from just that spring..but this is the famous Cariboo gold rush area en route to Barkerville...

cheers

Steven

broke
01-02-2014, 01:27 PM
Go to Mineral Titles Online. http://www.empr.gov.bc.ca/Titles/MineralTitles/mto/Pages/default.aspx

You can bring up the map that shows where placer claims are staked (they're staked online now). It's true that you cannot pan on someones claim unless you have permission (they have the rights to the placer minerals). If it's not claimed - fill your boots.

BCMarc
01-03-2014, 10:41 PM
hmmm bcmarc...when your in town I will share some of my secret spots up Cunninham pass way..past Likely we always took the spring grizzly clients gold panning once or twice..actually I have founf quite a lot of gold nuggets and flower?flour? gold...the biggest was $1800 and its made into a necklace pennant..I had some smaller nuggets made into earings for Susan and some into small glass container for necklace...knew one place that was a lease and the individual showed me 3 QUART GLASS JARS full of nuggets from just that spring..but this is the famous Cariboo gold rush area en route to Barkerville...

cheers

Steven

That'd be fantastic. The wife will be thrilled. Basically she wants the snow to melt tomorrow so she can go try. As it stands, I'm guessing it's going to take a bit longer this year. We are fully buried.

markomoose
01-03-2014, 11:04 PM
Snow is mega deep in pg also

Jagermeister
01-03-2014, 11:49 PM
Got a set for my birthday but haven't tried it out yetGoing to try the Tranquille River?

I have been doing some prospecting since the mid '70s. Mostly in the Quesnel/Barkerville area.

Here's a few pointer for the gold seeker.

If you use a sluice you're going to get into trouble with someone sooner or later unless it is on your own claim.

You need a Free Miners Licence to stake a claim and the FML is not free BTW.

You can recreational pan where you pretty well please except for reserved areas.

You can pan on someone else's claim without permission, but it would be foolhardy to do so. Ask for permission.

The best time to pan is after the spring runoff has subsided.

Gold is heavy and settles out as the water flow slows. That would make you want to check the upstream lower edges of sand bars. Contrary to the aforementioned, check the top of the bars and down toward the lower end. Remember that the water in flood was much higher than the sandbar so the gold is going to carry a little farther.

Boulders are natural traps especially when they are located at the outlet of a water flow narrowing.

Sniping is the term associated with cleaning out those natural bedrock riffles and other gold panning areas.Most people think that if the Chinese worked and area that it is cleaned out. That may very well be, but they were a superstitious lot. If one of them died on the claim, the rest would abandom the claim no matter how rich it was so it could be worth while checking their "digs" out.

There is no sense panning where there is no gold.

There is no cure for gold fever.

4cefedomni
01-04-2014, 12:51 AM
Go to mineral titles online and do a tenure search. It will show you the claimed areas and you can see all the private land and crown leases too. People pay good money for their claims and don't appreciate claim jumpers....
There are a number of panning reserves around for people to try it without worrying about being on peoples claims. There is the one already mentioned I. Yale and there is one where the coquihalla river meets the Fraser and one in Princeton and Lytton. A quick google search will give you detailed directions to them. I've had good luck at the Yale reserve. Just remember to dig in and around the rocks and avoid digging in the sand.

odie1830
01-04-2014, 12:53 AM
nice! it took me a while to actually find some gold, but i did and my arms and hands were killing me after sifting some pans but when i found a few real gold flakes( found lots of pyrite) i was pumped!.

Jagermeister
01-04-2014, 11:00 AM
Some useful information
http://www.empr.gov.bc.ca/Mining/Geoscience/PublicationsCatalogue/BulletinInformation/BulletinsAfter1940/Documents/Bull21.pdf (http://www.empr.gov.bc.ca/Mining/Geoscience/PublicationsCatalogue/BulletinInformation/BulletinsAfter1940/Documents/Bull21.pdf)

finngun
01-04-2014, 11:51 AM
Anybody interested in panning supplies, we buy our's at SMI Electronic's in Langley. Also sells metal detectors.
how does metal detector works on gold. only BIGG nuggets:confused:and what price range are good MDs?

jag...You need a Free Miners Licence to stake a claim and the FML is not free BTW.// how much cost 'free' miners licence:confused:

knighthunter
01-04-2014, 11:53 AM
I was wrong, googled it and says $25.00 a year.

Darksith
01-04-2014, 12:03 PM
You can recreational pan where you pretty well please except for reserved areas.

so you can pan where ever you like?

frenchbar
01-04-2014, 12:05 PM
i thought they were 25$ a yr..i could be wrong .

J_T
01-04-2014, 12:44 PM
An Individual FMC is $25 annually. You require one if you wish to acquire a claim. Not to pan.

To correct Jager, you may not pan "anywhere". If you are on some else's claim you require their permission.

BCHoyt
01-04-2014, 01:07 PM
Ive been gold panning since I was a kid with my dad.. He used to be huge into it and would pan the Chemainus river every summer when we were camping... Nothing but flakes but still fun..

Few years ago the wife and I panned up in Alaska together and it got us into it again together.. Bought some pans and usually take them camping with us..

Jagermeister
01-04-2014, 02:53 PM
As J_T pointed out, I am wrong with regards to recreational panning.

From the Mineral Tenure Act.Recreational hand panning
9 (1) Subject to subsection (2), a person who is not a free miner may hand pan for recreation purposes.
(2) A person must not hand pan on a valid mineral title unless the person receives permission from the recorded holder of the mineral title.

If you hold a FML, then you have quasi right as seen below. (This where I went south)

Land on which a free miner may enter
11 (1) Subject to this Act, only a free miner or an agent of a free miner may enter mineral lands to explore for minerals or placer minerals.
(2) The right of entry under subsection (1) does not extend to
(e) land lawfully occupied for mining purposes, except for the purposes of exploring and locating for minerals or placer minerals as permitted by this Act,

dryflyguy57
01-04-2014, 10:45 PM
You already have Tod Hoffman beat .