PDA

View Full Version : Planning 2014 Sheep Hunt

drgame
12-31-2013, 08:56 PM
I'm just booking my holidays for this year and it looks like I will be able to get early august off. I've hunted stone sheep once before up by Toad River, didn't get one but it was the best trip I have ever been on. I'm looking on going down Magnum Mine road this time but unsure of it and it's condition. I tried to search previous threads on here and found a little info but still unclear. Are you able to drive the road with pickup? ATV? Bridges still in? Any vehicle restrictions?

thepitchedlink
06-18-2014, 01:32 PM
I'm in the same boat, so let's bump this one and find out!

Jerlynn
06-23-2014, 09:37 AM
I was down past Magnum in 2012, so that's as new as my info is. We hauled a horse trailer to the Wokkpash crossing and then took the truck to the final Racing River crossing around Sept 20ish (may be quite a bit more water in August for all I know). Coming out a few weeks later there were several trucks that had made the final crossing and taken the trucks right down to the mine gate. In terms of restrictions, you can take vehicles only to the mine gate (there is an open gate and sign) which is a few clicks from the actual mine site while quads can be taken to a few hundred meters just past the mine site. Keep in mind that quads can only be 400 meters off the marked road and that is all that prevents people from riding up the racing sand bars all the way to the junction. Feel free to PM for more specifics if you are actually going.

goatdancer
06-23-2014, 07:18 PM
Check with F&W in Ft. St. John about the vehicle restrictions.

Dre
06-23-2014, 08:43 PM
I was there for the Aug.01 opener last year and the first river crossing at the MacDonald River was nearly un-passable. Lots of water and fast. We got word that an F350 went in, but it looked very dicey. I wouldn't chance it. My partner got a sheep and I came close, but passed on a young legal ram. After a couple of shots went off though, all the rams disappeared.

rusty3547
06-25-2014, 08:30 AM
Have a backup plan no bridges.we went in in 2012 sept.had bad wet weather and water came up very fast making leaving impossible on atvs ended up stuck in there 7 extra days.if you
Want pm me i can give direction to an atv trail thats beyond the atv restriction line if it happens you may be able to use to get out.