PDA

View Full Version : Alpine muley

Busterbrown
12-31-2013, 05:40 PM
This is a deer I shot a few years ago however I can remember the details like it was yesterday. Just as it was getting light I spotted a buck approx 2 kms away in a high alpine basin that was feeding along the tree line . Once he bedded down I made my way accross the ridge with the hope of getting above him before he moved for the day. It took me about an hour to get above where I thought he was but he had moved and was looking right at me about 200 yards away.Busted..... he was only a small 3x3 and before I could decide if I should shoot him or not,he took off... he may still be running !!

Disappointed I put my rifle and binos down against a rock to get rid of the morning coffee, when this guy stood up approx 15 yards below me. He had no idea I was there. He then began to shake like a dog would coming out of the water. There was this huge amount of dew coming off his back spraying into the air , he must have been bedded all night .

As I scrambled for my rifle, he just stood there looking directly down hill . When I raised my rifle, he was so close I could not find him in the scope.. After bringing the rifle up twice to find him I shot him quartering away from me. He then took off down a very steep shale slide and began to tumble, end over end over end, no damage to the rack. Caped him out and packed one half and the antlers on the first trip, went in the next day to get the rest. I have shot 3 nice deer (by my standards) with in 50 yards of where this one was shot.It has become my go to spot
http://i213.photobucket.com/albums/cc9/Busterbrown_08/Hunting004_zps3a83a6e2.jpg (http://s213.photobucket.com/user/Busterbrown_08/media/Hunting004_zps3a83a6e2.jpg.html)

12-31-2013, 05:45 PM
Dandy Buck ....
congrats, alpine hunts and pack ins are the most rewarding !

Who did the Taxi Job ?

markomoose
12-31-2013, 06:30 PM
Used to do only muley alpine hunts.gotta get back to my roots.nice buck you got there!

~T-BONE~
12-31-2013, 06:49 PM
Nice buck!

HarryToolips
12-31-2013, 08:58 PM
Very nice buck sounds like a wicked spot, lol trouble findin him in ur scope did you have it on max zoom lol? Buddy of mine missed a buck from 30 yards cause he was on 9 zoom lol:mrgreen:

lucky1
12-31-2013, 09:16 PM
Where'd you say that spot was?

kennyj
12-31-2013, 11:20 PM
Awesome buck. Sounds like a great spot.
kenny

coach
12-31-2013, 11:29 PM
Great looking buck! Thanks for sharing your story and picture.

Husky7mm
01-01-2014, 12:37 PM
Nice buck. I love alpine mulie hunting, got any field pics ? What region are you hunting?

markt308
01-01-2014, 12:47 PM
Great share. Nice looking buck

one-shot-wonder
01-01-2014, 01:57 PM
Neat story, the photo makes it look like this was some years ago, or is it the posters and vintage sweaters giving that impression?

any pictures and stories of the other bucks from that spot?

Busterbrown
01-01-2014, 04:13 PM
This buck was taken about 50 yards from were the previous deer was taken. It was however a couple years apart . On Opening day in region 3 ,I climbed onto my favorite cliff and got settled for the afternoon when I looked directly below me and this guy was standing with two other bucks feeding just at the tree line. I had lots of time so I put my pack down and had plently of time to take a nice rest and catch my breath.After looking at him for a few minutes I got settled and fired... and missed, the three deer looked startled and began to move slowly away from me , I was now in a panic and tried to get settled and proceeded to miss again, at this point the three buck took off and travelled the complete ditance of the large alpine basin in about one minute!!! I have hiked the entire basin many times and it takes me about an hour. It is always amazing how fast the animals can travel in very tough country.

That night in camp I ran through the scenario in my head all night , the deer were about 200 yards directly below me at the bottom of a cliff and I was sure of both shots , but they appeared to be high as I could see the dust fly above the deer. Did not sleep much that night.
The next morning I climbed back to the same spot to see if I could find them again but no luck, saw couple of 2 pts and a spike all of which were at the other side of the bowl.
I climbed back up to the cliff that afternoon approx 16:00 for the afternoon .After taking my pack off, I looked over the rock and there were two of the three bucks from the night before in the exact spot they were the previous night. The deer I missed the night before was feeding around some small alpine shrubs and had no idea I was there .
I thought here we go again, took a nice rest held a liittle lower and fired, down he went.. the smaller of the two bucks took off again and covered the same path he took the night before.
I packed the cape and antlers out that night and had some help the next day to get the rest out
http://i213.photobucket.com/albums/cc9/Busterbrown_08/DSCN0129_zpsdc8f2ad5.jpg (http://s213.photobucket.com/user/Busterbrown_08/media/DSCN0129_zpsdc8f2ad5.jpg.html)

kennyj
01-01-2014, 04:17 PM
Great story, keep them coming. Very nice velvet mulie. Looks awesome on the wall.
kenny

one-shot-wonder
01-01-2014, 05:56 PM
Good shooting second time around!

saving the best story for last......thx for sharing

David Heitsman
01-01-2014, 06:40 PM
Buster Brown

How did you save the velvet?

Really enjoyed the stories. Nothing like getting above game. They just don't know when to look.

Husky7mm
01-01-2014, 06:52 PM
Same thing happen to me on my first high alpine mulie hunt in region 3 on opening day. Steep angle, shot over him three times and then he crossed the basin and was climbing out as he got more up to my level I desperately was searching for more bullets or at least a bullet. ( Box was waaaaaay back at atv)Thankfully I found one and was able to take him a few steps before he was out of sight. A very long shot, almost 400 yards. He must of been to close the first 3 or I just like to warm up the barrel first. JJ lol. Anyway I came away from that experience learning two things, always have a few extra bullets on your rifle, and I just love early season alpine mulie hunting. Congrats on the other buck as well. Keep your spot tight lipped and it could produce for years!

HarryToolips
01-01-2014, 07:40 PM
Same thing happen to me on my first high alpine mulie hunt in region 3 on opening day. Steep angle, shot over him three times and then he crossed the basin and was climbing out as he got more up to my level I desperately was searching for more bullets or at least a bullet. ( Box was waaaaaay back at atv)Thankfully I found one and was able to take him a few steps before he was out of sight. A very long shot, almost 400 yards. He must of been to close the first 3 or I just like to warm up the barrel first. JJ lol. Anyway I came away from that experience learning two things, always have a few extra bullets on your rifle, and I just love early season alpine mulie hunting. Congrats on the other buck as well. Keep your spot tight lipped and it could produce for years!
You got it..always good to have lots of ammo on hand..

hunter1947
01-02-2014, 04:26 AM
I like that buck in velvet looks very nice up on your wall thanks for the first story of how you got that buck ,,thanks for sharing all to us members,,