PDA

View Full Version : 2 3/4 still a decent choice for a gun

k-dawg
12-31-2013, 12:29 PM
I'm looking to buy a shotgun and have seen some used that are chambered 2 3/4.
i would like to use it for ducks, geese, target. An all purpose gun. With having to use steel is it still worth while to buy a 2 3/4 gun?

Thanks

dak0ta
12-31-2013, 12:30 PM
2 3/4 gun will work, although most modern guns are made in 3''. Might be easier to just get a 3'' gun as most steel sold today is 3''.

12-31-2013, 12:32 PM
Get a 3" Gun. It will be way more versitile in the end. A 2-3/4" will do it all for sure,,, But a 3" will do it better.

wingmaster
12-31-2013, 01:38 PM
2 3/4 has probably killed more birds than any other size shot so it is still a great option. However is is much easier to find 3 inch thaN 2 3/4 now a days. If you have the option I would recommend going with 3 but there is nothing wrong with 2 3/4

BiG Boar
12-31-2013, 02:31 PM
Get 3.5. Even more versatile

i would not not buy a 2 3/4 unless there was something really special about it.

Downtown
12-31-2013, 02:37 PM
I'm looking to buy a shotgun and have seen some used that are chambered 2 3/4.
i would like to use it for ducks, geese, target. An all purpose gun. With having to use steel is it still worth while to buy a 2 3/4 gun?

Thanks

If you buy a side by side over under or single shot, make sure it has an ejector not just an extractor which can be a pain in the neck.
Cheers

303Brit
12-31-2013, 03:01 PM
Right now the only thing that is readily avail for ammo is 2 3/4" aside from the fancy blackcloud and HeviShot stuff. If you're not skybustin 2 3/4" is plenty to kill with.

That said, if the shotgun is a 2 3/4" chamber the bigger thing you would want to look at before making your decision is, does it have a fixed choke? Typically the vast majority (that I see anyways) of 2 3/4" chambered shotguns that are for sale are a fixed choke which is less than ideal, especially if it is a fixed full choke. Now of course you could get you could get you gunsmith to reem it or fit it with a poly choke, but by the time you do that you're probably nearing the price of a new shotgun.

My 2cents would be unless it's a smoking deal or has some sort of personal meaning and has a either changeable chokes or a fixed skeet choke, I'd probably buy a 3"

Foxton Gundogs
12-31-2013, 04:50 PM
Beat me to it Kyle, check the choke However you can have it threaded for chokes reasonably or just reamed out. BUT by the time you get the gun and have the work done you can buy a lower end pump gun for the same money with chokes and in 3". To address the OPs question though 2 3/4 will definitely get the job done here are 2 limits to prove it both with #4 2 3/4 SuperX

http://i1136.photobucket.com/albums/n499/FoxtonGundogs/hunting%202013/NanaimoA-20131222-00130.jpg (http://s1136.photobucket.com/user/FoxtonGundogs/media/hunting%202013/NanaimoA-20131222-00130.jpg.html)

http://i1136.photobucket.com/albums/n499/FoxtonGundogs/hunting%202013/z.jpg (http://s1136.photobucket.com/user/FoxtonGundogs/media/hunting%202013/z.jpg.html)

d6dan
12-31-2013, 08:12 PM
Get a 3" Gun. A 2-3/4" will do it all for sure,,, But a 3" will do it better.

BS, a 2 3/4" will do everything you need to do. I shoot a 3" now, but grew up using a 2 3/4". Use how to shoot it and it will work fine.

field marshal
12-31-2013, 08:34 PM
BS, a 2 3/4" will do everything you need to do. I shoot a 3" now, but grew up using a 2 3/4". Use how to shoot it and it will work fine.
D6 Dan you aren't going to convince the "Know it alls" about the 2 3/4" bores. It never ceases to amaze me how "Experts" like 835 who admits he doesn't know squat about waterfowling freely give advice on some shit they read in a book?? It is my own belief it is way overkill to use anything more than a 20 bore for poor little ducks???:mrgreen: My 2cents worth on this beaten to death subject!!---Cheers--- and straight shooting---Field Marshal.

d6dan
12-31-2013, 08:40 PM
D6 Dan you aren't going to convince the "Know it alls" about the 2 3/4" bores. It never ceases to amaze me how "Experts" like 835 who admits he doesn't know squat about waterfowling freely give advice on some shit they read in a book?? It is my own belief it is way overkill to use anything more than a 20 bore for poor little ducks???:mrgreen: My 2cents worth on this beaten to death subject!!---Cheers--- and straight shooting---Field Marshal.

Thanks Tony. Nice to know there's a few of us that still know what works. Happy New year!

Edit: I should have said" learn how to shoot it".

kyleklassen
01-01-2014, 12:24 AM
I know 835 has posted up countless big waterfowl kills on here that were only thanks to his 3" mag ......ohhhh wait a minute ...let me check my notes......O.K. Here we go 835 has posted up absolutely nothing to solidify a vote for a 3" gun...so you can take his word for it and if you don't believe him you can ask adriaticum

Ian F.
01-01-2014, 01:33 AM
I shoot a 20 most of the time....

longshot
01-01-2014, 01:37 AM
10 gauge 3.5" BBB for ducks and a punt gun for geese!! Hahaha jk, 2.75" works just fine. The boys are right, having a fixed choke limits your flexibility, but at the end of the day if it makes a BANG itll kill birds... you just have to know your limits. Like we put 2.75 Federals thru our ancient doubles barrels with fairly open fixed chokes (terrible steel-shot patterning guns) for the days we are feeling old school, and we just make sure to shoot under 20 yards.

I primarily shoot 12 gauge 3" out of an aftermarket choke just because of personal preference and how well my combo seems to pattern.. but the fact is it doesnt take much to bring birds down. My sister takes geese down with her 20 gauge #4's within 15-20 yards just fine. Same shell takes ducks out to 25 yards.

Happy new years!
-Longshot jr.

shotgunjohn
01-01-2014, 09:35 AM
Nothing wrong with 2 3/4 inch shells but as others have stated watch out for full chokes on older guns. From personal experience a 2 3/4 inch steel bb can split an older full choke barrel.

FirePower
01-01-2014, 02:08 PM
2.75" was good enough for years and its still good enough, however, shotgun chamber size is akind to layering with trail clothing. You can always use less if you have the whole package but its pretty hard to add more if you only have the bare minimum.

The Hermit
01-02-2014, 10:46 PM
Loved this thread. I am a professed newbie to waterfowling as my add-on question will disclose...

I have a 3 1/2 Mossberg 835 Ultimag. Shooting 3 1/2 BB it definitely knocks ducks out of the sky better than my friend spitting 2 3/4 #4s (or they might even be 3" #4's) out of the same model gun. Much to his chagrin! HHAHAHA! So what would my max distance be with this set up... so far I estimate having clobbered the poor things out as far at 40 yards? (just a guess - Ron?)

303Brit
01-02-2014, 11:03 PM
Loved this thread. I am a professed newbie to waterfowling as my add-on question will disclose...

I have a 3 1/2 Mossberg 835 Ultimag. Shooting 3 1/2 BB it definitely knocks ducks out of the sky better than my friend spitting 2 3/4 #4s (or they might even be 3" #4's) out of the same model gun. Much to his chagrin! HHAHAHA! So what would my max distance be with this set up... so far I estimate having clobbered the poor things out as far at 40 yards? (just a guess - Ron?)

Hermit you are shooting a far larger size shot than a #4 and you are packing some more powder behind it. So of course if you're hitting birds the impact will be much more substantial. Depending on the patterning of you shotgun and you selected choke 45-50 is not impossible, but I would only take that shot as a hailmary on an already wounded bird that might be floating 500m away from if you don't try to smack it one last time. BB are overkill IMO on duck outside of late season sea duck. 3" #2,3 or 4 if where we usually shoot with 3's n 4's being preferred. 2s and BB are usually seaduck loads for us. But to each their own.

this lil fella was taken with 3" #4s
https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/1522620_10153672439195075_426872828_o.jpg

adriaticum
01-02-2014, 11:32 PM

So you used to shoot 2 3/4" but now shoot 3" and call BS on someone liking the 3" better?
Is there logic to this?
Or you just don't like the guy?

Shotguns are not just for shooting ducks. Say you need to blow someone's brains out. 3.5" will do it more effectively (Just guessing).
Regardless, 3" gun will do 2 3/4" too and you know 2 3/4" gun will not do 3" loads (without inflicting pain to yourself)
There is versatility.
3.5" is not worth the extra money.
Some say it's much better to have the 3 1/2 capability and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
The others say with 2 3/4" you just become a better shooter.
But it's really all about cost/opportunity.
2 3/4" has been doing business for a long time and more importantly it will be around for a long time.

Here is an article that might be interesting.

http://www.chuckhawks.com/chamber_length.htm

01-03-2014, 09:28 AM

I know 835 has posted up countless big waterfowl kills on here that were only thanks to his 3" mag ......ohhhh wait a minute ...let me check my notes......O.K. Here we go 835 has posted up absolutely nothing to solidify a vote for a 3" gun...so you can take his word for it and if you don't believe him you can ask adriaticum

What is it with you?
this is a forum to give advice on. it is not only a place for you self proclaimed super star know it alls.
I fully aggree you know more then me but WTF? How do you think you got where you are huh? by learning. in my opinion a 3" is better then a 2-3/4, and i gave it.

no i dont have any big duck hunts to show,,,, in my life i have hit a limit once. And im not shy to tell people that so they know where im coming from.
Good thing there is you guys out there to help us unknowing out,,, or id just go on thinking i know everything. And id bet all you shoot guns that have a 3" chamber weather you shoot 2-3/4" or not.

and yep you got a rise out of me.

fuzzybiscuit
01-03-2014, 09:42 AM
I'm kind of scared to answer this one.

The original question could have just been PM'd to the few experts we have on here as no one else's opinion matters.

d6dan
01-03-2014, 05:43 PM
So you used to shoot 2 3/4" but now shoot 3" and call BS on someone liking the 3" better?
Is there logic to this?

Logic Yes, when I grew up, all we had was 12ga's in 2 3/4", there was no 3". I like the versatility of a 3" today especially in the deer shotgun zone. I use a lot of 2 3/4" shells for grouse with lead. There's nothing wrong with a chambered 2 3/4" shotgun. They are very affective today as they were years ago. So I hope I've answered your question.

field marshal
01-03-2014, 07:10 PM
What is it with you?
this is a forum to give advice on. it is not only a place for you self proclaimed super star know it alls.
I fully aggree you know more then me but WTF? How do you think you got where you are huh? by learning. in my opinion a 3" is better then a 2-3/4, and i gave it.

no i dont have any big duck hunts to show,,,, in my life i have hit a limit once. And im not shy to tell people that so they know where im coming from.
Good thing there is you guys out there to help us unknowing out,,, or id just go on thinking i know everything. And id bet all you shoot guns that have a 3" chamber weather you shoot 2-3/4" or not.

and yep you got a rise out of me. Don't give advice if you don't know what you are talking about. If you can't play in the sandbox with the guys who do know what they are talking about then go on BSBC where you seem to be some kind of STAR!!!---Cheers---Field Marshal.
P.S. I don't shoot 3''!!!

kyleklassen
01-03-2014, 07:35 PM
What is it with you?

and yep you got a rise out of me.Yeah you are right.....my duck gun is a 16 gauge 870 it kicks ass with the 3" shells I just have a hard time finding them.

kyleklassen
01-03-2014, 11:08 PM
What is it with you?

and yep you got a rise out of me.If you can show me a post where I proclaimed to be a superstar I will retract that post. You admit you have only shot a limit once but it seems you are damned sure the 3" is better.What do you base this on?..you are right again...when you say people come to this site looking for advice...and I gave it....What is it with you?

Lozzie
01-03-2014, 11:30 PM
Can't we all just buy Benelli's that cycle pretty much everything and come with multiple chokes so we can finally just get along ;)

bearhunter338-06
01-04-2014, 10:59 AM
Yeah you are right.....my duck gun is a 16 gauge 870 it kicks ass with the 3" shells I just have a hard time finding them.

Same duck gun I have But I have never seen or herd of 3" 16ga shell.

I use 2 3/4" 16ga #2 steel for ducks and geese when I have to opertunity to hunt them. If I where to get back into serious waterfowl hunting I would switch over to the 3" shells only because they are readily available every where.

303Brit
01-04-2014, 11:42 AM
Is there logic to this?
Or you just don't like the guy?

Shotguns are not just for shooting ducks. Say you need to blow someone's brains out. 3.5" will do it more effectively (Just guessing).
Regardless, 3" gun will do 2 3/4" too and you know 2 3/4" gun will not do 3" loads (without inflicting pain to yourself)
There is versatility.
3.5" is not worth the extra money.
Some say it's much better to have the 3 1/2 capability and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
The others say with 2 3/4" you just become a better shooter.
But it's really all about cost/opportunity.
2 3/4" has been doing business for a long time and more importantly it will be around for a long time.

Here is an article that might be interesting.

http://www.chuckhawks.com/chamber_length.htm

Well since, D6dan bought his newest shotgun less than 6 yrs ago, upgrading to a new BPS as he is a leftie. He bought a 3" because that is what was made. he shoots 2 3/4 birdshot, and he shoots 3" deer shells. Just because his shotgun is a 3" doesn't mean that's all he shoots, the OP asked if a 2 3/4 chambered gun is worth buying and Dan gave his opinion. If you don't like don't read it, it's his opinion based on his experience I know how much experience he has and I have seen very little support to your level of expertise. So instead of trying to derail a thread and turn everything into a pissing match offer up some of your real world experience instead of just slamming other peoples opinions and dropping an article reference.

01-04-2014, 02:18 PM
Carole, why don't you and Toonie go down to the bay and get us some pics... Too many people use them to see who the real hunters are.

rides bike to work
01-04-2014, 02:37 PM
I have an older 870 that only takes 23/4 I got the full choke barrel reamed and it kills ducks but I wish I had a three inch because my partner with 3" kills way more than me. And it couldn't be my poor shooting ? Could it. Na it's the gun

field marshal
01-04-2014, 02:41 PM
Carole, why don't you and Toonie go down to the bay and get us some pics... Too many people use them to see who the real hunters are. Whattsa matter 835?? Slow day at BSBC or don't they believe your BS anymore either???---Cheers---Field Marshal.

bearhunter338-06
01-04-2014, 03:18 PM
Whattsa matter 835?? Slow day at BSBC or don't they believe your BS anymore either???---Cheers---Field Marshal.

Over their no one ridicules anyone, not like the morons here that have nothing better to do.

01-04-2014, 03:23 PM
Thank you, ....
I just tried to voice my opinion that a 3" gun makes more sense in my eyes. Weather you agree or not is up to you.

adriaticum
01-04-2014, 03:57 PM
Well since, D6dan bought his newest shotgun less than 6 yrs ago, upgrading to a new BPS as he is a leftie. He bought a 3" because that is what was made. he shoots 2 3/4 birdshot, and he shoots 3" deer shells. Just because his shotgun is a 3" doesn't mean that's all he shoots, the OP asked if a 2 3/4 chambered gun is worth buying and Dan gave his opinion. If you don't like don't read it, it's his opinion based on his experience I know how much experience he has and I have seen very little support to your level of expertise. So instead of trying to derail a thread and turn everything into a pissing match offer up some of your real world experience instead of just slamming other peoples opinions and dropping an article reference.

Chief, it's you and d6dan and field marshall who are in a pissing match slamming 835.
Otherwise people were having a jolly conversation on this thread until you found it. :)

lorneparker1
01-04-2014, 04:05 PM
Can't wait for the season to be over so the drama can really fire up~!

303Brit
01-04-2014, 04:16 PM
Chief, it's you and d6dan and field marshall who are in a pissing match slamming 835.
Otherwise people were having a jolly conversation on this thread until you found it. :)

Show me where I shit on Dru???? I must have missed that part? Maybe you should go back and read my first post maybe try understanding it this time.

you're the one that step in here and started chucking shit and offer up very little positive to this thread, you want step into a thread and start chucking shit expect it back.

adriaticum
01-04-2014, 04:21 PM
Show me where I shit on Dru???? I must have missed that part? Maybe you should go back and read my first post maybe try understanding it this time.

you're the one that step in here and started chucking shit and offer up very little positive to this thread, you want step into a thread and start chucking shit expect it back.

Ok sorry you are right, it wasn't you.
It was the other 2 guys. I assumed you were a member of the same pack.
I wasn't chucking anything. If you think that's chucking shit, you haven't seen anything yet.
If you disagree with something I said, offer up a solution or a correction.

adriaticum
01-04-2014, 04:32 PM
Can't wait for the season to be over so the drama can really fire up~!

Oh come on, you know drama sells newspapers.

01-04-2014, 06:14 PM
Me and Kiel are good, suffice to say Kyle and Tony don't think I'm all that so to speak

kyleklassen
01-04-2014, 07:36 PM
Same duck gun I have But I have never seen or herd of 3" 16ga shell.

.yeah me neither but apparently I would need the if they were available.

kyleklassen
01-04-2014, 08:06 PM
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x9gmua_war-why-can-t-we-be-friends-live-in_music

longshot
01-04-2014, 11:27 PM
Wow.. this escalated quickly since I put my two cents in on page 2!! I thought it was us 20 yr olds that are supposed to get all lippy!? :mrgreen: It amazes me how much controversy there can be over a shell length lol. Any shell between a .410 and 10 gauge with sizes of #6 to BBB will kill birds.. just know your limit with what you use!! We all have our own likes on dislikes on loads and guns... otherwise their would only be one brand and one shot size, how boring is that lol. find something that goes BANG and you feel comfortable with.

On a side note, here is my thoughts on shell length and diatance for you 3.5" dream shooter skybusters. Gun A is a 20 ga with 2-3/4 #2 at 1300 fps. Gun B is a 12 ga with 3.5" #2 at 1300 fps.. the individual pellet energy is the same in both guns at all ranges!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The only reason a 3.5" can kill a BIT further is PATTERN DENSITY, basically more pellets hit the target at the same range than the smaller gun. And the fact of life is that steel pellets loose there killing ability at 50 yards IMHO, so yes if you have the right choke you can tighten the pattern up enough to consistantly kill at that distance (i dont recommend this, just buy deeks and learn how to use them to shoot under 30 yards, its not rocket science).. but for the love of god leave the ducks alone when they are so far that the pellets arent even cutting through the meat!

01-05-2014, 10:08 AM
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x9gmua_war-why-can-t-we-be-friends-live-in_music

I don't know Kyle.
That is my question.

k-dawg
01-05-2014, 12:16 PM
Wow so much awesome information.
So here is what I'm getting out of this conversation.
1. 2 3/4 is a good choice and will kill ducks. Only buy if it's a killer deal.
2. 3 inch is the modern length of chamber and will provide versatility of shells (2 3/4 & 3")
3. 3 1/2 is good for looking manly and a sore shoulder... A bit overkill.

Now here is another question for all of you folks.

What guns do you like and or use... Semi or pump? Your reason for using? Keep in mind I'm asking because I don't know squat. Also any suggestions on guns for the budget conscious.

adriaticum
01-05-2014, 12:30 PM
2. 3 inch is the modern length of chamber and will provide versatility of shells (2 3/4 & 3")

What guns do you like and or use... Semi or pump? Your reason for using? Keep in mind I'm asking because I don't know squat. Also any suggestions on guns for the budget conscious.

I think you have skillfully picked through all the rubbish and collected all the good stuff :)

I use pump, but semis are better for shooting accurately which you need for anything flying.
Semis also have much lower recoil and you don't have to pump so your eye is always on the target. You can also get the shots off faster with a semi.
Typically waterfowlers use semis and zombie hunters use pumps.
But if semis were not so expensive I bet most people would have them.

longshot
01-05-2014, 01:05 PM
I think you have skillfully picked through all the rubbish and collected all the good stuff :)

I use pump, but semis are better for shooting accurately which you need for anything flying.
Semis also have much lower recoil and you don't have to pump so your eye is always on the target. You can also get the shots off faster with a semi.
But if semis were not so expensive I bet most people would have them.

Pumps are for zombie hunters?? Thats funny right there dude. Last time I checked all them mallards at 15 yards didnt give a rats ass that I was holding a 870 or that my sister had a single shot 20 bore.. they all died just as easily haha. The most successful waterfowler i know and hunted with still uses a 60's Model 12 lol

lorneparker1
01-05-2014, 01:13 PM

Stop the madness!

I've Always shot a pump or an O/U.
I never owned an auto loader in my life till last year I got a screaming deal on a 1187 20 gauge. Which I might add ran great for a few months and now jams non stop. Cleaned everything, took it apart, ordered new rings. still jams. Its now in the shop. Back east, where it gets cold I mean really cold. very few waterfowlers own auto's that I hang around with. Far to often they become single shots.

Lorne

Rackem
01-05-2014, 02:08 PM
Whattsa matter 835?? Slow day at BSBC or don't they believe your BS anymore either???---Cheers---Field Marshal.

Jeebus, grouchy old man much?? Why such a hard on for 835? and BSBC? There are as many opinions as assholes on this site, you can take em or leave em. Why take offense to someone who is trying to be helpful and share his opinion?

I have no recent water fowling experience, other than tagging along and training the dogs. However, I shoot grouse with a 2 3/4 lead shot...my Ithaca 20g is a fun little gun. I shoot the 2 3/4 cause my Grampa used to do a lot of reloads for me at no cost...I still have some left. It kills grouse just fine.

Don't like my opinion? Oh well...

Rackem
01-05-2014, 02:16 PM
https://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/1510962_10151832109210754_1210130426_n.jpg

https://scontent-b-sea.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/1487411_10151832109200754_2097923051_n.jpg

adriaticum
01-05-2014, 02:20 PM
Stop the madness!

I've Always shot a pump or an O/U.
I never owned an auto loader in my life till last year I got a screaming deal on a 1187 20 gauge. Which I might add ran great for a few months and now jams non stop. Cleaned everything, took it apart, ordered new rings. still jams. Its now in the shop. Back east, where it gets cold I mean really cold. very few waterfowlers own auto's that I hang around with. Far to often they become single shots.

Lorne

Lol, "typically" being the key word. Nobody is going give you 10 lashes if you use a pump for water fowling.
O/U and S/S were not in the running so I didn't mention them as they are in their own class.

303Brit
01-05-2014, 02:34 PM

I shoot, a maverick 88 field a $200 pump gun, this year it has become my backup gun and my sea duck gun I have killed plenty of birds in the last 6yrs with it. It is starting to show signs of wear in the receiver, since it is an aluminium reciever and a steel bolt and carrier and the shotgun has seen 1000s upon 1000s of shells. It always goes bang and nothing on it has broken or let me down.

My new primary puddle duck/goose gun is a Win SX3 semi, this thing is amazing it fits me beautifully and I haven't had any issues that I didn't create myself (purposely fired to failure to cycle due to a lack of cleaning and getting it really dirty) $1100.00

My wife shoots a rem 870 20ga, I shoot it probably 5 hunts a year (I love that lil thing) it is a steel and lumber setup, but fits her very well and is like an extension of my hand when I wield it. it has not failed up once kills geese and ducks a like, requires a lil more love in the cleaning and oiling department to stay looking real purdy $370.00

all three shotguns are 3" chambers

The reason I don't hunt and O/U is that I can't afford the ones that I like

the bigger thing with shotgun selection is fitment comfort and price. usually the last of the list limits the ability to choose between the rest. my suggestion is find your price range, try every shotgun in that price range and then every shotgun $300 more than your limit. find the ones that fit you the best when shoulder and functioned. after that do you homework on said models, find out what other people that own them have had to say. Then from there figure out if the best shotgun for "YOU" is in the price range you originally assessed, if not find then you got to figure out how much better the fitment of the more expensive one is and if you can justify it to yourself.
Cause at the end of the day you have to use it and be happy with your procurement, having faith in your weapon is half the mental battle. If you have lost that mental battle before you start your hunt, you won't hit the broadside of a barn from the inside.

just my 303cents

Gilmore
01-05-2014, 02:39 PM
Over the years I've shot lots of ducks and geese with my old Rem 1100 chambered in 2 3/4. And no if you search here you will not find a story of my successes nor will you find out how many times I have hit my daily limit, some will just have to take my word for it...or not...whatever.

That said, if was buying a new or used water fowling gun (and I did) it would be minnimum 3". Why? A better question is why not? Why buy a new gun that only accepts the shortest of 12 gauge shells. Why limit yourself especially when it comes to available ammunition? I've used my 3" gun with the 2 different length shells it accepts for everything from grouse to sporting clays. Yes it's an auto loader, keep it clean, very slightly lubricated, never missed a beat...missed lot's of other things but never a beat.

f350ps
01-05-2014, 06:25 PM
Here's a tough one for ya, what has more pellets, 2 3/4" #2 shot in a 1 1/8oz or the same load in a 3" shell? Put yer thinking caps on and no googling! :) K

lorneparker1
01-05-2014, 06:39 PM
Here's a tough one for ya, what has more pellets, 2 3/4" #2 shot in a 1 1/8oz or the same load in a 3" shell? Put yer thinking caps on and no googling! :) K

THis should be good

field marshal
01-05-2014, 06:41 PM
Same!!!---Field Marshal.

f350ps
01-05-2014, 06:46 PM
Same!!!---Field Marshal.
I know, it's a tough one! I was gonna also include ammo brand, but I knew that would be way to confusing! K

303Brit
01-05-2014, 07:17 PM

I bet google servers are currently crashing lol

adriaticum
01-05-2014, 07:23 PM
I thought that 1 1/8 oz of lead weighs more in a 3 " shell :mrgreen:

adriaticum
01-05-2014, 07:32 PM
Now the question is which has more powder, has better range and better pattern?
You can phone a friend if you like.

f350ps
01-05-2014, 07:34 PM
I thought that 1 1/8 oz of lead weighs more in a 3 " shell :mrgreen:
You bring up a good point, my question is assuming we are shooting steel! K

adriaticum
01-05-2014, 07:39 PM
You bring up a good point, my question is assuming we are shooting steel! K

Ha,ha it was a joke. 1 oz is 1 oz regardless of what size tube you put it in. :)

303Brit
01-05-2014, 07:58 PM
Now the question is which has more powder, has better range and better pattern?
You can phone a friend if you like.

is this a serious question??

Sako 75
01-05-2014, 08:02 PM
Over the years I've shot lots of ducks and geese with my old Rem 1100 chambered in 2 3/4. And no if you search here you will not find a story of my successes nor will you find out how many times I have hit my daily limit, some will just have to take my word for it...or not...whatever.

That said, if was buying a new or used water fowling gun (and I did) it would be minnimum 3". Why? A better question is why not? Why buy a new gun that only accepts the shortest of 12 gauge shells. Why limit yourself especially when it comes to available ammunition? I've used my 3" gun with the 2 different length shells it accepts for everything from grouse to sporting clays. Yes it's an auto loader, keep it clean, very slightly lubricated, never missed a beat...missed lot's of other things but never a beat.

I do have Remington 1100 too. My was not very reliable needs cleaning every shooting. I use Beretta Extreme now.....more reliable.
Back during lead shots days, all I used was handloaded 2 3/4" no#4 lead 3/8 killed lots of ducks, geese and some snipes too.

Early duck season I still use Kent's 2/3"shells no#2 but now I just use more Kent's 3" no#2 and sometimes Kent's no#1 on winding days.
I do use Black Clouds 3 1/2" no# BBB for Canada geese.

adriaticum
01-05-2014, 08:18 PM
is this a serious question??

Yes which shell size more powder, longer range and better pattern (for shot).
What do you think?

303Brit
01-05-2014, 08:51 PM
I think unless you are using the same shotgun, barrel and choke for the trials the back two don't matter, as the variables to them are massively different.

f350ps
01-05-2014, 09:20 PM
Hahahahaha.......and away we go! Bazzinga! :K

adriaticum
01-05-2014, 09:21 PM
I think unless you are using the same shotgun, barrel and choke for the trials the back two don't matter, as the variables to them are massively different.

Yes there a many variables. There is no one correct answer.
Sometimes in bird shot they load more pellets into a 3" shell which slows down the load but has more lead flying out.
For slugs they use the same grain slug and have more powder in a 3" shell which makes the 3" slug more powerful by a tiny bit with a bit longer range.
3" shells give you more play room.
But it all depends on the manufacturer and the line of ammo.
With the potential of lead shot being banned completely the game will change in some way.
It remains to be seen.

I like shotguns and to me they are the ultimate weapon.

longshot
01-05-2014, 10:29 PM
Im trying so hard to follow along with this.. but im lost.. where did lead come into play?? I give this thread 5 stars for entertainment.

f350ps
01-05-2014, 11:02 PM
Im trying so hard to follow along with this.. but im lost.. where did lead come into play?? I give this thread 5 stars for entertainment.
Yer right, me too, I never mentioned lead! Still haven't heard a definitive answer to my question yet, and I've got a few tougher ones too follow once we get over the first brain teaser! :) K

adriaticum
01-05-2014, 11:25 PM
Yer right, me too, I never mentioned lead! Still haven't heard a definitive answer to my question yet, and I've got a few tougher ones too follow once we get over the first brain teaser! :) K

Not sure what role lead plays in this.
You asked which has more pellets an ounce of #2 shot in a 2 3/4" or 3".
It will always have the same number of pellets regardless of what material it was made of or what shotgun shell it's put into.
It's like asking what weighs more a ton of bricks, or a ton of feathers.
A ton is a ton.
Makes sense?

You did get a definitive answer from field marshall.

Keep the teasers coming :)

f350ps
01-05-2014, 11:43 PM
Not sure what role lead plays in this.
You asked which has more pellets an ounce of #2 shot in a 2 3/4" or 3".
It will always have the same number of pellets regardless of what material it was made of or what shotgun shell it's put into.
It's like asking what weighs more a ton of bricks, or a ton of feathers.
A ton is a ton.
Makes sense?

You did get a definitive answer from field marshall.

Keep the teasers coming :)
Well aren't you the smarty pants, but I'm sure I said 1 1/8oz, obviously an ounce is an ounce, but I never said that! Yer wrong, sorry! :) K

01-06-2014, 08:58 AM

I use a Semi Auto, though if i had some more money or could do it over again id buy a O/U. I like the Class of the O/U s well it would be nice on the Trap range.
I found that the semi aloud me to stay on sight for a second bird. The third Shell in the Semi i have rarely used but if you are a good decoy guy i bet it might get used a bit more.

Foxton Gundogs
01-06-2014, 09:51 AM

If some one can tell me which weighs more a Ton of feathers or Ton of lead I will be able to calculate the exact answer.:mrgreen:

Dutch
01-06-2014, 10:31 PM
Interesting dialogue, the big killer for me was the switch to steel from lead. I had no problem shooting 2 3/4 in 1 3/8 #4 back in the lead days and as there were not that many geese then except waveys it was not a problem. The switch to steel created quite a conundrum as the early steel shells were not that good and to at least get close to the lead performance you had to go to 3". That being said the loads NOW are quite superior to the early steel loads with the increased velocity which is the key to steel.Now would I buy a 2 3/4 " 12 gauge probably not. The versatility of the 3" imho outways the price differance. In the early days of steel (dating myself here) the Ithaca 10 gauge was the choice of many ,the 3.5" was developed to answer that ,now I believe standard 3" loads are as good as anything.The second point is 2 3/4 are still a great load for ducks yes they are I shoot a 20 g. at ducks but for a one gun hunter the 3" is the best choice .my .02

Ian F.
01-07-2014, 07:21 AM
I had no problem shooting 2 3/4 in 1 3/8 #4 back in the lead days and as there were not that many geese then except waveys it was not a problem. l

1 3/8oz of #4's, home loads dad got from a guy at Omark industries was our favourite too! Ahhhh lead.....

sorry reminiscing

kent makes a 2 3/4" - 1 1/4oz that goes 1315fps that I love in #3's, hard to get. I don't shoot 12 much anymore since I buggered my shoulder....

k-dawg
01-07-2014, 10:24 PM
Anyone have any experience with these guns
Maverick 88
Mossberg 500
Mossberg 930 semi
rem has the 870
weatherby sa08 semi
weatherby pa08

adriaticum
01-07-2014, 11:00 PM
I have Mossberg 535 waterfowl.
I like Mossberg's safety because I'm a lefty.
Once concern I've heard is aluminum receiver wears out over the long haul.
870 is on old reliable.
If you can swing it, go for the semi.

303Brit
01-07-2014, 11:04 PM
Anyone have any experience with these guns
Maverick 88
Mossberg 500
Mossberg 930 semi
rem has the 870
weatherby sa08 semi
weatherby pa08

As previously mentioned a ton of experience with both the Mav 88 and the Rem 870. If you're a lefty you should also look at the BPS, it's a bottom eject which is a nice feature.

Foxton Gundogs
01-07-2014, 11:13 PM
My wife has an SA08 20 ga, I shoot it for ducks as well, great gun cycles flawlessly, handles well, nothing but good to say about it. I have also had a few 870s the older Wing Master are great guns the Express are hit and miss on quality.

01-08-2014, 12:09 PM
Mossberg 835, BPS, 870 are the pumps i have hunted.
835 was too heavy and it is similar to the 500 as i remember, with Mossberg watch the weight. The 88 is a lighter Gun amd 303Brit seems to do well woth it!
870 Ran 2-3/4" beautifully but the Hulls sometimes hung up on 3" loads
BPS was the best of them all, have a look at it. I know its not on your list but it should be looked at. It was also easier to police your empties they landed at your feet and not in the grass off to the side.

Cant speak on the rest.
just so you know as well... i hunted them all extensivly for Upland birds.... untill i got my 20Ga.