PDA

View Full Version : Hunting on a trap line

#1fishslayer
12-28-2013, 10:55 PM
So while out predator hunting today I was following a set of cougar tracks looking for a place to set up and call. I came across a chunk of hide tied up in a little hollow. ..looked to be a trapper set up.Only the cat walked right under it There was a marker tied to the tree and I noticed a metal plate pressed onto the tree also. I didn't want to step on anything so I didn't get to read the data on it.
Question.... am I allowed to predator hunt a known trap line ??? Im pretty sure I can but damm I would hate break the law.... but I sure would like to hunt that area now.

Gateholio
12-28-2013, 11:09 PM
of course you can. its public land

#1fishslayer
12-28-2013, 11:33 PM
That's what I thought.

hunter1947
12-29-2013, 04:34 AM
of course you can. its public land

X2 Clarke is correct..

marblewoodhead
12-29-2013, 05:35 AM
You can Hunt ,but not trap

Pete
12-29-2013, 07:13 AM
You most certainly can.....However in my area I am set for wolves and coyotes. Your dogs running through a wolf/coyote station stand a good chance of not returning. I am more than happy to let people know the areas where I am set up. I do not want to hurt your dogs.

budismyhorse
12-29-2013, 11:47 AM
Question answered..... How about another question?

Does that technique work for cat hunting? Have you killed one that way?

#1fishslayer
12-29-2013, 12:46 PM
No I haven't had any success doing this Yet!!! I don't have dogs to run so its just me my foxpro a 12g and my 243. I came across this by chance and now I'm thinking it would be a good place to set up more. How often does a trapper have to check his set's ?

Wild one
12-29-2013, 01:32 PM
No I haven't had any success doing this Yet!!! I don't have dogs to run so its just me my foxpro a 12g and my 243. I came across this by chance and now I'm thinking it would be a good place to set up more. How often does a trapper have to check his set's ?

Out of respect I would advise not hunting over a trappers set in my opinion it would be no different then hunting right beside a hunter you do not know.

As for check times it depends on the trapper and temps. Myself I like to run a 5-7 day check when trapping

In my opinion you are better off focusing on really fresh sign with you're calling

#1fishslayer
12-29-2013, 02:20 PM
Im not talking about sitting on his bait calling. This was a the beginning of a snowed in road.....and im going in.

Wild one
12-29-2013, 02:29 PM
Im not talking about sitting on his bait calling. This was a the beginning of a snowed in road.....and im going in.

Only mentioned it because with some people these days they would not take the consideration to give it space

Pete
12-29-2013, 06:09 PM
Folks I run a 3 day 4 day trap check. All my sets are killing sets. I do work well with the Outfitter in my area and keep him informed as to where the area where my sets are. As well I will leave my card on a windshield of a vehicle that has a dog box with my contact numbers on it so that I can inform them the area of trap sets. Setting up over a snare station for a cat in my books is not ethical or respectful to me as a trapper. Shooting off a snare station is literally taking the bread and butter out of my families mouth

LBM
12-29-2013, 06:36 PM
Folks I run a 3 day 4 day trap check. All my sets are killing sets. I do work well with the Outfitter in my area and keep him informed as to where the area where my sets are. As well I will leave my card on a windshield of a vehicle that has a dog box with my contact numbers on it so that I can inform them the area of trap sets. Setting up over a snare station for a cat in my books is not ethical or respectful to me as a trapper. Shooting off a snare station is literally taking the bread and butter out of my families mouth
Pete good on you for informing others where your sets etc are the majority of trappers I in counter are not willing to do so. I hear you about ethics etc as well but the OP was talking about a cougar which are not even allowed to be trapped.

#1fishslayer
12-29-2013, 06:53 PM
Like I said I stumbled across it. I've no intention of sitting on his bait and calling. That being said its an undisturbed road up the mountain. Will his trap line follow the road ? Will it wander off. Gotta remember I picked this place to call cause it looked like a good set up.....not cause I want to take away from anyone's table. I thought it was cool to find. Kept looking g for Marty and the helicopters lol

#1fishslayer
12-29-2013, 06:56 PM
Is there a web site showing all trap lines ???

tomcat
12-29-2013, 07:25 PM
Is there a web site showing all trap lines ???
All of BC is subdivided into traplines and yes there is a map, computer accessible, somewhere in the government programs. The simple fact is that anywhere you are hunting generally between Oct and end of May you may possibly encounter trapping activity.

dana
12-29-2013, 07:51 PM
Most trappers set their baits up just off the roads, so you will likely encounter more the further up the rd you go. They can not trap cougar so I wouldn't be worried about setting up your calling near one of his bait stations.

Pete
12-29-2013, 11:03 PM
Cougars are a pain...We do everything to minimize or catches on cougar.... As was correctly stated we are not allowed to keep any cougars we catch and have to turn them in. With the loss of the Auction in PG many of these big Cats were just being tossed off the side of the road. THe BCTA has a program now where if we accidentally catch a cougar and under permit skin these cats out and send them to market with the proceeds going to the BCTA Trapper Education. Trappers do not receive any compensation for this. I have been extremely lucky over the years and only have caught one Cougar. I use BAD's Break Away Devises on all my snares which allows larger such as deer moose and cougars to escape. Not perfect but they do work.

BlacktailStalker
12-30-2013, 02:20 AM
Good on you Pete for notifying the Houndsmen like that. My pet peeve is the postings that are left up year round and are often 5-10 years old. It's too bad there isn't some sort of stipulation than requires current dates for the k9 killing trap postings and/or active trapline postings.

hunter1947
12-30-2013, 06:05 AM
Good on you Pete for notifying the Houndsmen like that. My pet peeve is the postings that are left up year round and are often 5-10 years old. It's too bad there isn't some sort of stipulation than requires current dates for the k9 killing trap postings and/or active trapline postings.

In the area I hunt the trapper does put up signs saying active k9 trapping to keep your dogs on a leash good on him for doing this..

hunter1947
12-30-2013, 06:07 AM
Most trappers set their baits up just off the roads, so you will likely encounter more the further up the rd you go. They can not trap cougar so I wouldn't be worried about setting up your calling near one of his bait stations.

Dana correct I have witnessed the trapper setting up leg hold traps 20 feet from the main FSR the wolfs like running the roads ,,trappers when setting near a road should put a sign out saying caution leg hold trap near this sign but then again it would be advertising his or her trap....

Pete
12-30-2013, 07:50 AM
Wolves do like running roads. The one place I do not set, ever, is at turn arounds on the end of a road or a pullout. People hit the end of a road stop to relive themselves and throw out the dog for run.....Dog dosn't come back and it is all the trappers fault????? It's trapping season mind and control your dog. I am really gun shy about posting every set. A few years back my line was hit by thieves stealing 7 out of 13 stations all of the traps and snares cleaned out.

hunter1947
12-30-2013, 07:56 AM
Pet you are a conciderent trapper good on you..

BlacktailStalker
12-30-2013, 11:26 AM
Wolves do like running roads. The one place I do not set, ever, is at turn arounds on the end of a road or a pullout. People hit the end of a road stop to relive themselves and throw out the dog for run.....Dog dosn't come back and it is all the trappers fault????? It's trapping season mind and control your dog. I am really gun shy about posting every set. A few years back my line was hit by thieves stealing 7 out of 13 stations all of the traps and snares cleaned out.

Don't get me wrong as I am a trapper as well (on paper lol) and albeit it may be trapping season, it is also hound season year round where there are coons and all winter for cats. I spend more time in the bush running dogs than I do hunting, hiking and (would be) trapping all together.
There's no place for ignorance in any sport/hobby and I would rather lose a bunch of gear than see my buddys hound his kids crawl all over hung up dead in a snare, when preventable.
A simple sign at the beginning of an FSR stating your trapline number, active K-9 trapping in progress and current dates is sufficient (I've seen this in a couple places) and considerate to all. I understand the shyness of posting activity but I also understand many guys are proud to trap and are less than quiet about it to encourage recruitment and in general announce that trapping still is a way of life and an all around great activity.
In all fairness if I was running an area that had an active trapline I would likely leave a note with my contact number stating my activity at this sign to hopefully be contacted by the trapper to learn more about specific areas being targeted. If anything its one more set of eyes on your gear with a bit of piece of mind for me. You never know when either one of you are going to need a lift out 20km back in mid february, it would be good to be on good terms lol

Pete
12-30-2013, 06:12 PM
Don't get me wrong as I am a trapper as well (on paper lol) and albeit it may be trapping season, it is also hound season year round where there are coons and all winter for cats. I spend more time in the bush running dogs than I do hunting, hiking and (would be) trapping all together.
There's no place for ignorance in any sport/hobby and I would rather lose a bunch of gear than see my buddys hound his kids crawl all over hung up dead in a snare, when preventable.
A simple sign at the beginning of an FSR stating your trapline number, active K-9 trapping in progress and current dates is sufficient (I've seen this in a couple places) and considerate to all. I understand the shyness of posting activity but I also understand many guys are proud to trap and are less than quiet about it to encourage recruitment and in general announce that trapping still is a way of life and an all around great activity.
In all fairness if I was running an area that had an active trapline I would likely leave a note with my contact number stating my activity at this sign to hopefully be contacted by the trapper to learn more about specific areas being targeted. If anything its one more set of eyes on your gear with a bit of piece of mind for me. You never know when either one of you are going to need a lift out 20km back in mid february, it would be good to be on good terms lol

You make some very good points and thank you for your consideration, it is much appreciated. :)