PDA

View Full Version : Planning for 2014...Muskwa/Tuchodi for Elk...when should I go?

Darksith
12-28-2013, 11:11 AM
So although I still have a bison hunt in my near future to cap off an amazing 2013 season, I am already starting to plan my 2014 adventures. I think a river boat hunt via RiverJet is what I am leaning towards. My main goal is to find elk that are talking. I really would love to be on an elk hunt where bugling is happening, and the rut is in full swing.

So my question is this...if being on an elk hunt where elk are talking is my goal, and somewhere on or around the tuchodi/muskwa systems is where Im thinking...what time of year gives me the best chance to accomplish that goal?

I have been on several elk hunts in the EK already, but there is simply too much pressure and the elk haven't been talking where I have been. I have seen many, counted 5 lots, but so far it hasn't been the hunt that my mind tells me an elk hunt should be.

Any info that could help me be successful on living that dream is greatly appreciated.

1/2 slam
12-28-2013, 11:23 AM
We have had good luck in that area during the first 2 weeks of September. I've been there a dozen times.

Darksith
12-28-2013, 12:02 PM
lots of talking 1/2 slam?

Bugle master
12-28-2013, 12:16 PM
Weather plays a big part of course. I've called bulls in as early as August 30th up in the high country off a contributory of the muskwa. We always plan on 2nd week of September now though. By then they should be talkin pretty good.
Nothing better then the northern Rockies, I've seen 100 elk in a day and called in 13 bulls all at least 5 point or better in a day as well. It's just awesome! Good luck planning the trip of a life time.

Cheers

ryanb
12-28-2013, 12:38 PM
I'd say the best would be the middle two weeks of September or thereabouts. Should have decent action anytime in September. Lots more action if you get away from the river.

leadpillproductions
12-28-2013, 12:42 PM
I might be wrong but what ive been told is the muskwa has smaller bulls can someone clarifie?

1/2 slam
12-28-2013, 12:53 PM
lots of talking 1/2 slam?

They can go nuts at times. Other times, if it's really hot, they shut up and you have to work hard for them.

1/2 slam
12-28-2013, 12:55 PM
I'd say the best would be the middle two weeks of September or thereabouts. Should have decent action anytime in September. Lots more action if you get away from the river.

Very true. I've been on a lookout watching elk by the river. I could hear a boat coming. When the elk heard it they walked into the thick stuff and stayed there for an hour or so after the boat passed.