PDA

View Full Version : Alpine black bear hunting

604redneck
12-28-2013, 03:07 AM
I am looking to do some alpine black bear hunting late spring or early fall with the bow this year within 2-3 hours of kelowna......anyone know of any areas they wanna pm me?
hoping to do a bit of a hike in(10k) and stay for a few nights. Testing out some gear before the goat/sheep season is the main goal.

HarryToolips
12-28-2013, 09:37 AM
With a bow?? Lots of bear on the westside of the lake Tarrace Mtn area..there are loggin roads in throughout most of the area, but still a nice area...find the sunny slopes in the spring..

mark
12-28-2013, 10:21 AM
Late spring is not the time, bears are not in the alpine at that time.

BlacktailStalker
12-28-2013, 10:39 AM
Exactly what mark said.
The best feed starts at the bottom and by the time the feed is high enough for the bears to be in the alpine, you'll lose everything to heat before you can pack it out :)
Think berries in the fall up high.

HarryToolips
12-28-2013, 10:45 AM
I've even seen bear sign during the may long weekend pretty high, Headwaters lake area..

mark
12-28-2013, 10:59 AM
I've even seen bear sign during the may long weekend pretty high, Headwaters lake area..

So??? Your backing my statement then?
Headwaters is a ways from the alpine.

dave_fras
12-28-2013, 11:06 AM
I seem to find way more bears in alpine during sept and oct

coach
12-28-2013, 11:19 AM
A good fall location would be into the monashees (Kiefer lake area) between cherryville and fauquier or in the Sugar Lake / Greenbush area. Lots of bears out that way especially in good berry years.

604redneck
12-28-2013, 02:38 PM
Ya thanks guys this isn't a problem finding bears I generally shoot 1 or 2 a year it's more looking to do some gear testing in an alpine area that would hold bears but looks like the gear will get tested camping and not hunting

ACE
12-28-2013, 03:25 PM

If you're looking for a 'big boy' in the spring ........ low and green

HarryToolips
12-28-2013, 06:07 PM
So??? Your backing my statement then?
Headwaters is a ways from the alpine.
I stand corrected:) do we really have any alpine in the peachland area then?? Pennask summit about as alpine as we get then??

dana
12-28-2013, 06:16 PM
Harry,
Ever wonder why Baldy is called Baldy? ;)

HarryToolips
12-28-2013, 10:50 PM
Harry,
Ever wonder why Baldy is called Baldy? ;)
Dunno never been there:)...stupid question then, alpine technically is anythin above the treeline then??

RiverOtter
12-29-2013, 07:27 AM
Dunno never been there:)...stupid question then, alpine technically is anythin above the treeline then??
Ding, Ding......:mrgreen:

Lot more Sub-Alpine in the Okanagan than true alpine, but there are still a few areas.

dana
12-29-2013, 09:44 AM
You are from Peachland and have never been up Baldy? Interesting. You should learn more of your backyard. might open your eyes to some better hunting.

Kathleen has some sub-alpine as well.

mark
12-29-2013, 03:08 PM
You are correct harry, penask summit is the closest patch of alpine, next would be the little specs on kathlene and apex.
Then lots more the further south we go into ashnola country.
Baldy is a bit of a drive for us, little white would be a closer spot if were crossing the puddle!

HarryToolips
12-29-2013, 04:33 PM
You are from Peachland and have never been up Baldy? Interesting. You should learn more of your backyard. might open your eyes to some better hunting.

Kathleen has some sub-alpine as well.
LOL you'd be surprised where I go, year round rain or snow, bushwhackin is my favourite thing..probably been in areas where very very few have been before...

dana
12-29-2013, 06:40 PM
Mark,
You must be thinking of a different Baldy from me. The Baldy I'm thinking above is right above Buck Heaven. You need to learn more of the local names. ;)

s0ylentgreen
12-29-2013, 07:01 PM
hi guys

Buck Heaven? a baldy that isnt the ski hill?

im confused, and i have only had 2 vodkas so far tonite......

mark
12-30-2013, 12:24 PM
Mark,
You must be thinking of a different Baldy from me. The Baldy I'm thinking above is right above Buck Heaven. You need to learn more of the local names. ;)

Baldy is the ski hill mtn between rock creek and osoyoos, everyone knows that.
2 nearby areas are reffered to as the "bald range" but never heard the term baldy in the peachland area?
Places with nicknames like "buck heaven" have since been renamed since you left because the deer hunting has gone to shit in the past decade!

dana
12-30-2013, 12:48 PM
You are obviously missing a mountain right in your back yard then. ;)

mark
01-02-2014, 09:29 AM
You are obviously missing a mountain right in your back yard then. ;)

I doubt it, i guess someone must have stole the sign since you moved??? lol