PDA

View Full Version : Hare Baggin Tips

HarryToolips
12-27-2013, 10:58 PM
Now that ungulate season is over I've been throwin on the snowshoes when I can and lookin for Snowshoe hares, and any predators of course. From my experience hares are easy to encounter drivin the roads in the springtime, and even summer/early fall at last light usually. This time of year however, I notice their tracks everywhere in the bush, but no hares and I'm not into using snares unless I was in a survival situation. I'm just lookin to bag em while wandering around with my .22. Any tips for baggin them with a gun this time of year?? I was only lucky last winter with one that was hunkered down under a spruce tree branch. Thanks all.

two-feet
12-28-2013, 01:31 AM
Take 1 or 2 slow steps ay a time, wait and look. You will only see them when they move and if they are not spooked they will only take a hop or 2 then sit still for the shot. They are mostly nocturnal so hunt the hours around sun up and sun down. Find the tracks, creep slow, shoot rabbit. Repeat. Stew with bacon, wine, herbs.

Ian F.
12-28-2013, 08:18 AM
Up your odds and of out if at all possible day after a fresh snow. They have a big black eye but sit motionless thinking you can't see them, which most of the time is correct. Follow trails watch and go slow, when you find em don't rush, they rarely run and if they do not far.

HarryToolips
12-28-2013, 09:29 AM
Awesome thanks guys sounds all like good ideas..

Steelpulse
12-28-2013, 12:33 PM
We take quite a few rabbits in the snow when we head out, early early is best time find any area with lots of tracks hit it and even can track them down, very slow and scan the area within 20ft around you to spot them

HarryToolips
12-28-2013, 06:13 PM
We take quite a few rabbits in the snow when we head out, early early is best time find any area with lots of tracks hit it and even can track them down, very slow and scan the area within 20ft around you to spot them
LOL ya I do all that except gettin out there early cause I need to wake up with my 1 year old little guy when he's up at 5 er 5.30 and let the wify sleep in that way I'm actually allowed out:-D

adriaticum
12-28-2013, 06:23 PM
Check some of the threads by hare_assassin, he laid out some pretty good instruction.