PDA

View Full Version : traveling on airplanes?

bigmuley
12-27-2013, 12:03 PM
So I ended up buying a new rifle in alberta when I was here over the holidays and am just curious about a few things with flying....

I know my bolt has to be separate from the rifle and it has to be in a lockable case. Can a padlock with a metal line attached(stock) be used as my trigger lock if it goes through where my bolt enters and comes out where my clips spose to be, will they allow it? talked to the air line but they said just a lock never were descriptive...and Ammo can you put it in your luggage that goes under the plane or can you you put it in the lockable case?

Thanks
Wish everyone the best in the new year!

j270wsm
12-27-2013, 12:28 PM
I'd think a cable lock, that blocks the bolt from being in the rifle or from being closed, would be good enough. It would probably be best not to put ammo in the same case as the rifle.

Steeleco
12-27-2013, 12:51 PM
Don't fly Air Canada if you can avoid it? They charge extra for firearms, WestJet didn't the last time this topic came up.

Bowzone_Mikey
12-27-2013, 12:59 PM
ship it securely for checked baggage ... no need for trigger lock as long at its in an aircraft/airline approved locked case ... put your ammo into your clothing bag and be done with it. basically you are not allowed to have it in the cabin.

mwj
12-27-2013, 01:05 PM
The airline probably wants advance notice for flying a firearm. The one time I flew with Air Canada they "lost" my firearm, good thing it was on the way home from the hunt

Gateholio
12-27-2013, 01:11 PM
The airline website will tell you what you require. AC makes you pay a fee.

I always remove bolt, trigger lock, locked case and ammo securely taped up in other luggage. Also, they will put your rifle in the special baggage. So it won't be in the regular carousel. At YVR it's against the wall behind the carousels. At PG it's kinda tucked in where you disembark. Etc etc.

rbest
12-27-2013, 01:51 PM
You do not need to separate the bolt from the rifle. A trigger lock on the rifle, and in a locked rifle case is all you need. You can not put ammo in with the rifle. It has to be in a locked ammo case separate from the firearm. They get really uptight about ammo, so I usually just buy ammo once I get to where I am going. I travel to Albert a lot for the fly away and travel with two shot guns. You can take two guns in 1 case for the same charge. AC charges $50 per case, I believe west jet only charges the extra baggage fee($20?). I caught onto this with AC its $50 bucks per case, sometimes I travel with 2 cases. So instead of paying the $100, I upgrade to first class for $125, and you don't get charged for extra baggage. so for the extra $20 I sit in first class, and drink as many beers as I can in the 1.5 hour flight! sleep it off, then shoot ducks with a hefty hangover the next day! good trade off!

rbest
12-27-2013, 01:53 PM
....also most Airlines require you show up an extra half an hour before most passengers, so you can fill out the forms, and have the baggage checked at the special baggage

r106
12-27-2013, 02:14 PM
Or just mail it to yourself???

sparkes3
12-27-2013, 06:12 PM
i brought my kids youth shotgun back from winnipeg in the original box no lock required just couldnt send ammo with it.
picked it up at special baggage counter in vancouver cost 50$ extra.
west jet didnt charge anything to bring my guns from newfoundland just checked as normal baggage.

Pre '64
12-31-2013, 10:11 AM
Wesjet doesn't charge extra unless it is your second bag which of course it will be. Just check the baggage rules on the website. No need for advance notice. Westlet requires trigger lock as well as lockable case. It's best to get a high end hard case, not a cheap plastic one. They walk on them, throw they whatever they feel like.