PDA

View Full Version : Why do you enjoy hunting ?

BIGHUNTERFISH
02-08-2007, 03:58 PM
I enjoy hunting because I love the outdoors,it gives me a chance to get away from the stresses of day to day life.Hunting makes me feel alive with the sounds the sights and the fresh air in my lungs,to see animals in their surroundings is a beautiful thing.I also hunt because I think that gamemeat is the healthiest and purist meat available and I get a great deal of satisfaction being able to harvest an animal in a fairchase enviroment and bring the meat home to my family.Hunting has also given me the chance to bond with friends and family share great conversations in an outdoor setting in a simpler quieter place.I am curious what your reasons for hunting are ? :|

Gateholio
02-08-2007, 04:02 PM
I liek hunting for the adventure more than anything else....Never know what is goign to happen, especially in remote areas.

Also, it's interesitng to learn more.:lol:

I eat game meat, but I am not a "meat" hunter, since I always have a surplus of meat.8-)

Will
02-08-2007, 04:26 PM
I just like to shoot Animals :|
A side bonus......most are quite Tastey ! :lol:

brotherjack
02-08-2007, 04:29 PM
Hah; you'd get a shorter answer if you asked what I don't like about hunting! (which is not much!).

I love the wilderness, I love the excitement, I love the fresh air and exercise, I love the scenery, I love the adrenalin rush when I harvest something, I love the process of cutting my own meat, I love the high quality of game meat, I love the satisfaction that comes from eating that meat over the course of a year, I love the money I save (really, I did the math - I save a bundle), and yeah... what's not to love, really?

CanAm500
02-08-2007, 04:53 PM
I love getting outdoors, I also like the excitement, it is truly a different smell of air out in the bush than sitting around home.

270WIN
02-08-2007, 05:04 PM
Why do I hunt well It for many reasons. Well since I could remember I loved the out door. You drive for hours with your best friends and family members talking about past events listen to great music. You find a nice remote spot with a few other people camped complete stranger yet when you get out of your truck the great you like you old pals. You set up camp and wait with excitement till morning. Morning comes and you find your self in a cut block awaiting shooting light the ground is covered in frost and there is still a faint glow of the stars in the sky. Your a little cold and your not sure what to expect. The sun start to rise you can see shadows walking around and feeding still to to early to shoot. As the sun gets higher you can feel your body warm and then SNAP you hear something down the trail you turn and look your heart start to beat fast as you relize it a legal animal we will say a bull moose he is not huge but he is a shooter. You quickly raise your riffle and all the years practice at the range and all the planning of this hunt comes down to this you put the cross hairs right behind the shoulder BOOM you see the bull fall. You slowly walk up to the bull and he has died. You feel a small part of remorse as you took this animals life. Yet there a touch of excitement as all your hard work and all your planning has come down to this you go get all your budies and you deal with the bull you get the bull back to camp and you all sit back buy a warm fire and watch the sun go down and you tell the story of the hunt and well these story drop down from generation to generation. You look at picture of great moment shared with loved ones and great friends.

To share great times with friends and family and to see nature at it finest and it worse and to get that rush only other hunters understand is why I hunt

tuchodi
02-08-2007, 05:09 PM
I love the outdoors. Walking throught the widerness enjoying the sights and sounds with no city noise. Sitting around a camp fire at night enjoying the company and stories of good friends. The best is the meat you are able to bring home and enjoy.

Mr. Dean
02-08-2007, 05:10 PM
Besides enjoying the outdoors and getting it on with nature.....I'd have to say;

- The challenge of a hunt.
- The adventure of a hunt.
- The things learned on a hunt.
- The rewards of a hunt (If I'm lucky enough to connect).

The first three are paramount, this is why I like finding my own spots and ask people not to tell me where the animals are holding.

The fourth is just a bonus BUT I do get a feeling of great pride when it does come together - And THAT me likes!

huntwriter
02-08-2007, 05:35 PM
Never really thought about it. I guess been born into a family of hunters, including the relatives and family friends, I just adopted that tradition basically from birth.

Hunting is also a big part of our human nature, historically seen humankind started out as hunters, then became gatherers and finally settled on farming but hunting still remains a big part of what defines us from the herbivores . I think we who hunt just follow our true nature, rather than suppress or deny that part of being a complete human.

Beer
02-08-2007, 05:35 PM
I love the frost on the ground at 3:30 in the morning with the 15 million candle power spotlight out the window and the trusty 30:06 pointed right between those two shiny dots. Can't beat it.

Gateholio
02-08-2007, 05:37 PM
I love the frost on the ground at 3:30 in the morning with the 15 million candle power spotlight out the window and the trusty 30:06 pointed right between those two shiny dots. Can't beat it.

Well, we all love hunting for our own reasons....8-)

Untouchable
02-08-2007, 05:41 PM
I hunt because it just feels right. The first hunting trip I ever went on was for moose up by Prince George, with a buddies Dad. We left from Vancouver on a friday after work and drove to Williams Lake. The trip up there he probably thought I was crazy because I was asking so many questions. We listened to great music, you know the Bob Seager, Def Lepperd, random hits mix, the whole way up there. When we got hungry we ate, when we got tired we slept. Basically we did whatever we wanted for that week, we were free from all the BS of the city, the traffic jams, the street lights, etc. We did end up harvesting a moose that trip although it wasn't me whom took the shot. It didn't matter though I was hooked. The freedom I experenced that week was awesome. I probably hiked ten miles a day, not that I had any real idea where to find a moose / Muley, although that mountain over there sure looks promising... I also had a big four point look over his ass at me until the buck fever kicked in so hard that I forgot to load a shell. haha. I still see that deer at night, hes been haunting me. The comraderie experienced out there is also compelling, something that is lost in the city these days. If someone needs a hand you help them. Its just that simple. You know that every truck you pass on the road has at least one gun in it and you never feel threatened. Also, watching the animals is pretty amazing. The things the do when they don't know you're there is sure interesting. I can't put it all into one paragraph but the best part of hunting for me at least is the freedom I experence while Im out there.

hunter1947
02-08-2007, 06:01 PM
Bighunterfish ,your wording on your post is the same wording as what i would post on this question. http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon7.gif hunter 1947.

todbartell
02-08-2007, 06:02 PM
I hunt because you can expect the unexpected. You never know what is around the bend or over the next hill. 8-)

Mini_Me
02-08-2007, 06:07 PM
I love to hunt because it's really cool just getting outta town and in the wilderness and searching for animals. What I relly like about hunting is that I get to spend good ol' quality time with my dad. Like what todbartell said you never know what's around the ben or over the hill. Killing game doesn't make me excited to go (it's an added bonus though) but just getting out makes it cool.

NEEHAMA
02-08-2007, 06:10 PM
family heritage. a way of life. it seems right and valid, almost noble.

browningboy
02-08-2007, 06:13 PM
Because I'm not working, I can relax, hike, ride, drink beer, fart and just sit by a campfire, and sometimes have topless women serve us our rye and cokes!:lol:

3kills
02-08-2007, 06:16 PM
spendin time with family and friends the thrill of the hunt and the joy u feel when succesful....i remember when i shot my first deer we were hunting in quesnal for moose and i shot my deer at like 9 am and we were hunting all day and i must have looked at that deeer 1000 times a day.....

3kills
02-08-2007, 06:16 PM
Because I'm not working, I can relax, hike, ride, drink beer, fart and just sit by a campfire, and sometimes have topless women serve us our rye and cokes!:lol:

thats it i m comin to ur huntin camp....

browningboy
02-08-2007, 06:20 PM
thats it i m comin to ur huntin camp....

We do all that but still working on the topless thing, probably too cold and and have coathangers!:lol:

3kills
02-08-2007, 06:52 PM
hey we all need to have a place to hang our hats lol....

mntman
02-08-2007, 06:54 PM
what he's ot telling ya is the topless one is a 450lb guy

bsa30-06
02-08-2007, 06:55 PM
Well let's see how do i explain this.I've only been hunting 5-6 years now, the first year i had a partner, after that i started hunting alone.I hunt for all the same reasons that have previously been posted, with one exception the pure joy and satisfaction i get out of everyday i spend out there.I've had to learn alot of stuff on my own because i haven't found the right partner yet, and there have been more seasons when i have come home with nothing, and never even fired a shot and thats okay.Besides the pure joy and satisfaction i get from the time i spend in the bush, i think it's the curiosity that keeps me going i walk miles and miles and keep telling myself i will just see whats around the next corner, and guess what? theres another corner.Hell maybe one day there will be that giant buck or monster bear or huge moose but if not thats okay i'll just keep lookin around every corner until i find what i'm lookin for and enjoying every minute of it.The most common thing i hear is how was your trip and i keep answering the same , " it was a great trip" then people usually ask what did you shoot? and i tell them nothing and they ask how was that a great trip?There is no answer that will make a non hunter understand but explain it to another hunter and they will understand completely.

puppychow
02-08-2007, 07:03 PM
I enjoy hunting because of the great outdoors, fresh air, good friends, big guns, sharp arrows, the challenge and least of all the meat.

bsa30-06
02-08-2007, 07:10 PM

Sounds like a hell of a camp you got there, i think i'll come sit by your campfire.

Bushman
02-08-2007, 07:14 PM
Ever been away for a long, long time and get that special feeling when you finally see the lights of your home town come in to sight?
Well, that's the same feeling I get when I'm home in the wild mountains.
I enjoy hunting because I feel I am where I belong and I'm doing something I truly love.

Gamebuster
02-08-2007, 09:12 PM
It's mainly the adventure and thrill and challenge of the chase for me. Gotta feed those primordial instincts! Spending time with buddies, the meat, and the opportunity to see all the things one sees when out in the bush are also important.

browningboy
02-08-2007, 09:47 PM
Sorry missed one thing that I really enjoy with the better half is when your driving around with both hands on the wheel and one on your stick and just checking out the terrain.:smile:

Tinney
02-08-2007, 09:59 PM
:lol: How long till that gets edited? I hear ya Browningboy!

browningboy
02-08-2007, 10:02 PM
:lol: How long till that gets edited? I hear ya Browningboy!

Just answering to the thread!8)

BIGHUNTERFISH
02-08-2007, 10:06 PM
Browning, I want you to keep your dog Blue out of this. :lol:

browningboy
02-08-2007, 10:08 PM
BHF, and you thought those were wolves at camp last year!:lol:

Iron-Head
02-09-2007, 12:10 AM
Boy Im coming hunting with you from now on.:)

3kills
02-09-2007, 06:56 AM
ya symon thats what i said too till i read this....lol

when your driving around with both hands on the wheel and one on your stick and just checking out the terrain.:smile:

Walksalot
02-09-2007, 07:01 AM
I hunt to satisfy a wanting to hunt and gather. Even when I am hiking or scouting I adopt the traits of a predator, walking silently as possible with eyes constantly looking for potential prey. To not hunt would be very stange to me.

mapguy
02-09-2007, 10:12 AM
It's a good excuse to be out there .Just got the wife a camcorder thats another good excuse .Got to go scout the area .The wife gained a pound or two so we need to do some hiking .My favorite where's that road go .

Chuck
02-09-2007, 10:33 AM
Having given this question some thought......I really don't enjoy hunting..I do it because it's just me. Ever since I can remember I walk, I breathe, I sleep, I eat, I am and.....I hunt, I fish, I garden. So I guess it's just me! Dumb answer? Maybe ... maybe not.

MichelD
02-09-2007, 11:18 AM
I can't help it.

I tried to cut down for a while and it just made me want to do it more than ever.

Mattimoose
02-09-2007, 05:42 PM
I can't help it.

I tried to cut down for a while and it just made me want to do it more than ever.

Well, contrary to what the vegetarians think we should all think; millions of years of hunter-gatherer evolution cannot be erased in one century. I only feel like part of the big machine of life if I participate. I can't help it.The only time in my life I really feel whole is when I am in a canoe or when I am walking the woods with a rifle in hand.

Of course, being half-Finn and 1/8th Mohawk Indian, and having a mother whose Maiden-name was Hunt, might have had something to do with-it. I liked hunting and fishing before being cogniscent of these factors; but was taught early-on that if it didn't run-away or bite you, eat-it. Being the youngest of five brothers probably had something to do with-it also.

troutseeker
02-09-2007, 10:35 PM
I just enjoy being outdoors and checking stuff out. Everytime I see a critter I still get excited, even after all these years doing it... Just today I saw a bunch of whitetails while out in the wood with my wife. A while back we saw moose and a lynx. My kids love going too so it's a bonus and it's better for all of us than the damn PS2!

Trotuseeker

frenchbar
02-09-2007, 11:03 PM
Alot of things do it for me . I love the high mountains and all the beautiful scenery, the glasing the alpine bowls for big mulies,the spot and stalks are exciting, the anticipation of what you might see over the next ridge. too many to list,i just know i love to hunt.

CHilko21
02-09-2007, 11:19 PM
I love hunting for a lot of things. I love it because it brings back a whole lot of memories of good times with my family, there's millions of awesome and crazy hunting and fishing stories floating around in our family. I love being outside, I love the challenge of finding the animal and taking it. Shooting your own meat gives you an all new respect for where it comes from. Even when we're skunked, just being outside bouncing around in the truck or hiking through the bush is great. I prefer game meat to domesticated meat for the most part, so that's a factor as well. I don't really know any other way to go about it either, cause I've been involved in hunting and fishing pretty well since I was born, dad used to take my brother and I out hunting when we were babies, he'd either stick us in his trapper nelson packboard, or strap our carseats into the passenger seat of the truck. His joke about it is that if the wrong person saw him taking us out, he'd get charged for child abuse. I just love hunting.

youngfellla
02-10-2007, 08:42 AM
Love the challenge, the adrenaline rush of a good stalk or dealing with an angry bear, loading my own ammo and knowing my rifles like the back of my hand. Love the outdoors, especially the high country. I'll climb a mountain just to see what the view is like (and maybe whack a caribou while I'm up there). I like the fact that I can have a freezer full of meat and all it cost me was a little bit of sweat and a couple $$ for the shot.

I also like carrying on the tradition. Both sides of my family have hunted since god knows when, it's in blood.

wetcoaster
02-12-2007, 02:06 PM
There are just to many things to list but if I had to pick just one it would be that from my first introduction to hunting it just felt "right", as if I was doing what I was supposed to do for the first time in my life. I have never felt this as strongly as I have when I have been hunting. I believe it comes to us by instinct and the real challenge is being able to listen to those instincts above all that is unnatural in the reality of most of our day to day lives.

I will never feel more "right" than when I am stalking fresh sign and deciding how to outsmart my quarry in the peace and solitude of what is our true element. Gaining the knowledge and experience to excel at what is one of our only instinctual past times left is still a lifelong challenge as it has always been and hopefully always will be.

I find this difficult to explain but I know you all know of the feeling I speak of in a way non-hunters can't understand.