PDA

View Full Version : Predator hunting question

Fella
12-24-2013, 12:36 AM
How long should I let my coyote bait pile "soak" before hunting over it? I have a pile of assorted freezer burned stew meat, fish pieces and sausages all frozen into a lump sealed in a bucket that I'll tie to a tree that I'm going to toss into my field tomorrow morning to let it saturate the area with its stench, should I come back ASAP (ie. that evening) or give it a few days?

BiG Boar
12-24-2013, 07:40 AM
What are you going to do to make it harder for the yotes? As they are individual pieces I would be careful that a few don't come in the first night and leave with everything. You might try wrapping it in chicken wire to make them have to nibble at it slowly. Just an idea.

Stone Sheep Steve
12-24-2013, 07:59 AM
Throw up a tcam and see what kind of action it generates.
Since you're in the lower mainland your frozen lump will thaw quickly and will be consumed in no time at all.

SSS

butcher
12-24-2013, 09:06 AM
Think big. When I had my shop (and most successful bait pile) I would have up to 15 deer carcasses on the pile at one time. I put big logs over the top so they couldn't drag them off. any guts and loose meat would usually disappear quickly and at night. I had much more luck calling over the bait after it had been there a couple weeks and only got a couple that were on the bait when I showed up. Now I use whole beef carcasses when I can get them. It takes a pack quite a while to finish one off.

Fella
12-24-2013, 10:08 AM
The meat is all frozen together in a big lump inside a 5 gallon drum. There's a lid on it and I was planning on drilling a bunch of holes into it to let the juices leak out as it thaws. I froze a chain into the bucket as well so I can shackle it to a tree to keep it in one spot, so that should keep it from disappearing I hope

RiverOtter
12-24-2013, 11:09 AM
5 gallons is hardly bait, I'd call it lure.......:mrgreen:

Fella
12-24-2013, 11:11 AM
The other 5 gallons I made into hobo soup.

Pete
12-24-2013, 01:29 PM
X2 lol That is just an the appie. I have seen them do an entire deer in one night. The one thing in your favor is that if is really stinky they will keep coming for months even if it is covered by snow

Fella
12-24-2013, 03:50 PM
Ya I'm hoping the container it's in will keep then stumped for a bit. I'm going to dump it now and come back early tomorrow and see what's up. It's in a nice open spot surrounded by tall marsh grass so I have a nice shooting lane.

rides bike to work
12-24-2013, 04:00 PM
A guy from back east told me a funny tip.
Put a lid on a five gallon bucket and screw it on cut a hole the size of a golf ball in the center of the lid with with slits going out from the middle all around then sink the bucket into the ground put bait in bucket and the next morning you'll have a coyote with a five gallon bucket stuck on its head.Shoot em. not sure if legal be sure Would be a funny sight for sure

Camp Cook
12-25-2013, 10:53 AM
We can legally bait coyotes how about other predators ie bobcat/cougars?

I have never checked into it so have no idea.

RiverOtter
12-25-2013, 11:01 AM
A guy from back east told me a funny tip.
Put a lid on a five gallon bucket and screw it on cut a hole the size of a golf ball in the center of the lid with with slits going out from the middle all around then sink the bucket into the ground put bait in bucket and the next morning you'll have a coyote with a five gallon bucket stuck on its head.Shoot em. not sure if legal be sure Would be a funny sight for sure

Might work on the odd habituated Surrey yote, but good luck anywhere else.

I've seen pics of wolves that had stuck their heads in 330's that were in 45 gallon drum sets(Targeting wolverine) but from the looks of the carcass they were obviously starving. Coyotes are pickier than both wolves and foxes when it comes to "EASY" food.....