PDA

View Full Version : baiting deer

pro 111
12-23-2013, 10:51 PM
is it legal to bait deer in bc . IE put out piles of grain and salt under your stand. Just curious.

RiverOtter
12-23-2013, 11:05 PM
Yep...........

pro 111
12-23-2013, 11:13 PM
OK , Thanks say hi to Clifton for me . I owe him 100 bucks lol. He will know what I am talkin about.

REMINGTON JIM
12-23-2013, 11:16 PM
is it legal to bait deer in bc . IE put out piles of grain and salt under your stand. Just curious.

YUP and Ya Know if you Read the regs it spells out all the laws ! Just saying ! :wink: RJ

BiG Boar
12-24-2013, 12:03 AM
google will save you thousands.

high and to the right
12-24-2013, 12:06 AM
I've read lots of posts about people putting out salt blocks for elk and deer on the hbc site. Are all those posts about illegal activity in BC?

BiG Boar
12-24-2013, 12:17 AM
I've read lots of posts about people putting out salt blocks for elk and deer on the hbc site. Are all those posts about illegal activity in BC?

They are thinking of changing the name to "poachingBC.ca"

hunter1947
12-24-2013, 04:45 AM
I keep baiting deer but never have been able to tag one near my bait station with trail cams out 25 feet from the bait station its nice to see what is in the area ..

Buckmeister
12-24-2013, 10:51 PM
Perfectly fine to bait deer in BC. But you CANNOT bait bear. I am continually amazed at how many people ask this question. And when I tell people I bait one of the first things out of there mouth is "I thought that wasn't legal?" This is from hunters and non-hunters alike.

fuzzybiscuit
12-24-2013, 11:29 PM
What screws people up is the fact you can bait bears in Alberta but not deer. Cross the border into BC and it is the opposite. Go figure.

MRP
12-25-2013, 08:58 AM
What screws people up is the fact you can bait bears in Alberta but not deer. Cross the border into BC and it is the opposite. Go figure.

Laws don't have to make sense they just are?
Logic has no place in government!!!

darkside
12-25-2013, 10:04 PM
I don't think it's very ethical myself.not much of a hunt sitting over a bait pile ...it's almost like we can't give the time it takes to learn how to stalk and kill something anymore . We have so many advantages today,, quads excellent optics range finding equipment,,,,the list goes on and on it's all great and all these things make us all into more efficient hunters ... not sure I would personal feel much accomplishment from shooting anything over a pile of bait.....not that it hasn't crossed my mind a time or two....anybody had success with the bait in the bush ?.... urban don't count sorry

Sitkaspruce
12-26-2013, 08:46 AM
I don't think it's very ethical myself.not much of a hunt sitting over a bait pile ...it's almost like we can't give the time it takes to learn how to stalk and kill something anymore . We have so many advantages today,, quads excellent optics range finding equipment,,,,the list goes on and on it's all great and all these things make us all into more efficient hunters ... not sure I would personal feel much accomplishment from shooting anything over a pile of bait.....not that it hasn't crossed my mind a time or two....anybody had success with the bait in the bush ?.... urban don't count sorry

Darkide

Check out my Whitetail Quest post or Coachs or Dawson Creedmore's post to see what hunting over bait is all about. Bet we put in more work than most with all the trail cams, scouting and packing in grain. It is a ton of work just to start. Just to give you an idea about the hunting, I sat for 46 hours in temps down to -24 and saw 6 deer total. I saw more deer in one evening driving home. It is not like the US, where they have a ton of deer and massive food plots and big wooden box blinds.

I have not quite other methods of hunting, this is just another way.

I encourage you to read the posts I mentioned and see what it took to hunt this way.

Cheers
SS

Ozone
12-26-2013, 09:06 AM
Oddly enough, baiting deer isn't like on the TV shows were you throw some grain and chemicals on the ground and the record book buck magically appears 3 minutes later.

coach
12-26-2013, 09:56 AM

Laws don't have to make sense they just are?
Logic has no place in government!!!

Government officials don't sit around all day dreaming up new laws to make. Most of the rules surrounding fishing and hunting started at the grassroots level - at the local fish and game clubs. One only needs to follow all of these types of threads on HBC to see where social management starts. Get enough people thinking thr same way, pass the concepts on to the people in in charge and pretty soon we have laws (or regulations) that might not seem logical.

huntinnut
12-26-2013, 10:01 AM
I have shot quite a few deer in the late archery season over some hay and apples and In a way I guess it's not as challenging as some other types of hunting, but in another way I think it is very ethical because it helps me make a clean kill. I know that the bait is at 22 yards, and I wait for a nice broadside shot and I know that i'll get a good chance so I don't feel pressure to make a hurried shot. I'll wait for the deer to stretch it's front leg out to get a bite and then take a very easy shot. I also don't see much difference between sitting by some apples or watching an alfalfa field although nobody would judge you for sitting along the edge of a field.

Chaos
12-26-2013, 10:09 AM
Next thing there would be no hunting during the rut , it would be baiting with a doe ! What about decoys ? Not sure about everyone else but I hunt to put meat in my freezer and feed my family . Would you feel the same about a handicapped person using bait . We all hunt using different weapons and styles of hunting , We are all hunters .

Pioneerman
12-26-2013, 10:19 AM
What about only hunting on bare open rock out cropping where there is no reason for deer to be there. Can't hunt other places cause certain places will be bedding areas , others will be crossings and too consistent of habits. No chance of hunting areas where they might get a drink or certain plants grow that they love to eat. But then you do not need a 4 wheeled vehicle to get there or binoculars, or a range finder,they are advantages even though they have all been invented and around longer than most of us have been alive. Can't have scopes or firearms you do not load from the muzzle end, or maybe just a sharp stick would be more fitting.

Rackmastr
12-26-2013, 03:06 PM
I find it ironic to use the term 'to each his own' right after blasting other hunters as being an embarassment.

If it aint your 'cup of tea' thats one thing, but hunters as a whole need to do a better job of at least supporting eachother in legal hunting methods rather than calling eachother out for not hunting 'their way'. Something about throwing rocks and glass houses come to mind.

I am guessing you'd have a problem if a bowhunter called rifle hunting an 'embarrasment to the hunting community'

Sitkaspruce
12-26-2013, 03:36 PM
Since I cannot quote..

mpotzold....Nice to see you supporting other hunters doing something that is legal in the province of BC.

Just another example of why we will eventually loose to the anti's, and they there will be HUGE fingers pointed at other hunters who are to blame.

Really sad is'nt........

Cheers

SS

Ambush
12-26-2013, 04:11 PM
mpotzold; I sure hope you don't hunt with a scoped rifle. Or use a quad. Or check google earth. And aren't you the guy that hunted on or around a large Chilcoton RANCH?

Ozone
12-26-2013, 04:18 PM
Hopefully he walks from his cave to were the deer are also

BRrooster
12-26-2013, 04:35 PM
Are there any laws agains feeding game animals antler grown enhancers? Or some type of feed/supplement that is advertised to help grow "Trophy" proportion
antlers. Should those bucks be allowed to be entered in our record books? Maybe we'll have to have separate record books for......hunters that hunt with archery
equipment, with rifles, with black powder rifles, that hunt over bait, that hunt on private land, that hunt on public land , that use decoys, etc etc etc.

Chaos
12-26-2013, 04:44 PM
So would you be hunting with traditional longbow then?

Since it’s legal it’s up to the individual to make that choice(to each his own). We don’t think it’s ethical, fair chase or sportsmen like, or something to be shown to the viewing public. That’s the way we see it!

Sitkaspruce
12-26-2013, 04:49 PM
Are there any laws agains feeding game animals antler grown enhancers? Or some type of feed/supplement that is advertised to help grow "Trophy" proportion
antlers. Should those bucks be allowed to be entered in our record books? Maybe we'll have to have separate record books for......hunters that hunt with archery
equipment, with rifles, with black powder rifles, that hunt over bait, that hunt on private land, that hunt on public land , that use decoys, etc etc etc.

There is quite a few studies published that prove that the stuff they sell DOES NOT do anything for the bucks with respect to antler growth. Most of it is just salt anyways and you buy that cheaper.

And who hunts for record books???

Cheers

SS

Gateholio
12-26-2013, 04:56 PM
Most hunters are too lazy to hunt using bait. It's lots of effort, physically and mentally.

REMINGTON JIM
12-26-2013, 05:32 PM
My Kid baits deer up North and GATEHOUSE IS RIGHT - he starts graining and then salting back in august and don't shoot Deer till november ! Its a lot of work packing in the grain and salt - sometimes the bears get into it too and make a friggin mess and eat it all up ! RJ

Gateholio
12-26-2013, 05:57 PM
Hunting over bait might be the most ethical method of hunting. Careful assesment of the animal is possible , and shooting is often from a steady rest.

DawsonCreedmoor
12-26-2013, 06:14 PM
What gets me, I bet most people who are against using a bait would have no problem blasting a deer in a field. A deer living on private land safe from 99% of hunters gets used to people/vehicles etc.

but I get looked down on for baiting deer in the bush, go figure.

Kudu
12-26-2013, 06:20 PM
Since I cannot quote..

mpotzold....Nice to see you supporting other hunters doing something that is legal in the province of BC.

Just another example of why we will eventually loose to the anti's, and they there will be HUGE fingers pointed at other hunters who are to blame.

Really sad is'nt........

Cheers

SS

What he said!

hunter1993ap
12-26-2013, 06:24 PM
I put a poll up in the open chat.

REMINGTON JIM
12-26-2013, 09:07 PM
YES ! :wink: RJ