PDA

View Full Version : roast goose

rides bike to work
12-23-2013, 10:05 PM
Me and a friend had quite a successful day yesterday with a limit of ducks and a few cackling geese.(story and pics to come)with my one goose I decided to pluck it and roast it . I used a recipe off the net roasted 45min at 450 degrees rubbed with butter stuffed with oranges.it did not turn out that great. the texture of a gum boot.

did I do something wrong.Any one got any goose recipes out there.Is there a good way to roast them?

longstonec
12-23-2013, 10:11 PM
Stuff both a gumboot and a goose. Roast goose with the gum boot. Throw out goose and eat boot.

Rhyno
12-23-2013, 10:21 PM
I don't know about geese, but with ducks I never cook past medium.

Sorry, not too much help in the roast goose department.

Big Lew
12-23-2013, 10:29 PM
My wife does a good job roasting wild birds, including goose. There are 3 differences We've noticed in your method compared to her's. First, you should have kept the cleaned and plucked bird in a cool place for at least 2 days, preferably 3. Second, she cooks the bird at 350 degrees rather than quick roasting at 450. The high temperatures are used for fatty meats. Third, she uses a meat thermometer so that she can roast it internally to 125-130 degrees. Many believe that they should cook 'longer the better' but if the internal temperature rises to 150 degrees you'll end up with a tough meat. She says that is one of the reasons you can cook a frozen venison roast at high temperature successfully and get a tender roast...because the temperature doesn't get up to 150 degrees or so inside. Using a self-basting roaster, manually basting, and/or placing bacon strips on top also helps. Hope this helps you with your next bird, and 'Merry Christmas'.

~T-BONE~
12-23-2013, 11:22 PM
If anything for sure let it cook slow with the lid on keeping it moist.. Or there's always the oiled paper bag trick! And don't over cook, that's what the thermometer is for too ;)

Foxton Gundogs
12-23-2013, 11:42 PM
marinade it for 24 hrs in a mixture of 50% beer 50% coke or pepsi, drain, pat dry season and roast to med rare. Also helps to pick a hatchling of the year.

shotgunjohn
12-24-2013, 09:20 AM
Sounds like you over cooked it. Cackling geese are much smaller than the more common Canada's. We usually marinate first. Soy sauce, red wine , apple cider, take your pick,add some salt, add some garlic or onion if you like then put in a large zip lock and refrigerate for at least 24 hours. Give it a quick rinse then pat dry and in fact works best if you allow it to dry for an hour at room temp. Roast covered at 350 till your digital meat thermometer says 130 then remove from oven crank the heat up to 450 and when the oven is hot put the goose back in uncovered until the skin is nicely browned.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v290/TRV58/CopyofJan1607003.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/TRV58/media/CopyofJan1607003.jpg.html)

shotgunjohn
12-24-2013, 01:21 PM
Oh and I almost forgot let the bird stand at room temp. for at least 20 minutes before carving. This lets the juices equalize through the meat. If you carve it too quick they will all run out.
You want it done medium at best and medium rare is better, don,t worry if the meat looks red still or it still bleeds a little, you will not get samonella from wild goose.

Pour a glass of your favourite Christmas beverage and enjoy.

Farmer
12-24-2013, 03:42 PM
Awesome looking roast goose John.
Part of the problem with the lesser and cackler is that they tend to have very little fat and can dry out badly if overcooked. Moisture is very important for a tender bird.

bogman
12-25-2013, 12:23 AM
we found that those cooking bags worked the best . as the other poster said ,let it sit before carving

avadad
12-25-2013, 01:51 AM
Hank Shaw the man who started this website is fanatical about cooking wild game meat. I think every hunter could get a few tips from reading his articles. Good luck!
http://honest-food.net