PDA

View Full Version : Steel?

Shuswap guy
12-23-2013, 09:14 PM
Slow fishing lately, hope the rain has started to bring fish up. Hooked a small, chrome hen on the stamp last weekend, any action on the Cow yet? Nog, any news from your end?

steel_ram
12-24-2013, 07:58 AM
I lost one on the Cowichan Sunday 22nd. Big chrome fish. I was swinging flies and kinda daydreaming when it took so I blew it. Water is very low as is everywhere. River needs a good flushing. On other streams guys are still pounding some pretty tired summer runs.

IronNoggin
12-24-2013, 12:23 PM
... Nog, any news from your end?

The little news I have ain't good...

Unusually low rainfall, coupled with a series of cold snaps have the river about as LOW as I've ever seen it. Not overly conducive to enticing any that might be hanging about to wander up.

At this point, there are at least 5 seals lurking under the bridge, and 5 - 7 more between there and Paper Mill Dam. They are staging at the usual pinch-points, and with water as low and clear as it is, any fish that do wander in are literal Sitting Ducks. :evil:
Heard that some of the local FN's actually explored the idea of removing some of these rat's of the sea, only to be told Hand's Off. Apparently the "safety concern" of the highway passing overhead trumps any such notions. I am going to try and contact that crew and see if they would entertain the idea of seal nets (which I used quite successfully in the Arctic). Might be a way to get around the "safety concern"...

A handful of the Usual Suspects have been looking fairly routinely. To date, they can count on one hand the number of early winters they've seen between all of them.

PRAY for RAIN and a LOT of it!
That and those miserable rat's of the sea suddenly develop a bad case of "need to be somewhere else"...

Wish I had better news... :cry:

Nog

Dutch Ppoacher
12-24-2013, 02:28 PM
it has been slow like nogg said, lots of donations to the fish gods with not much to report back with.
the guides are getting a few, and a couple weeks ago it was good but slow as molasses in January right now!

DP

Shuswap guy
12-28-2013, 10:07 PM
Those were my suspicions. Thanks for the info gents.

steel_ram
12-29-2013, 02:52 PM
Cowichan even lower today. Caught a small brown. Never see it like this in December. We need snow in the mountains and rain in the valleys, (not all at once please), otherwise next summer will be nasty.