PDA

View Full Version : Re-Opening Morning

Foxton Gundogs
12-22-2013, 09:58 AM
Well let me premise this by saying it may have never happened, as someone will be sure to point out "without pix yadah yadah yadah. So If the $hitty cell phone pix taken in the 1/2 dark don't download any better than they look on the phone you will just have to take my word if that's not good enuf skip to another thread. :mrgreen: I jumped on the "Big Canoe" to join Fowl Language and another one of our partners for an opening day shoot on Geese in the "sunny" Okanogan. After fighting snow and bad roads(the Coque was closed.....again) we had a quick dinner went for a short scout and finally rolled into our motel for the night. We scouted the day before the opening and to be honest it didn't look good the number of birds just were not there. We decided to go for an last light duck shoot and that was a hoot with only 2 robos and a fence line we hammered them for about an hr it was great. The lack of geese had a little worried but made a plan and set up Edition 2.0 Blind in what we thought might be a decent spot. The first flock came it around 8:30 and then nothing till 9:45 when they started dribbling in. Things picked up a little when the snow started to fall and the birds responded to the call much better. By the end of the day we had done not to bad so we broke down and headed for a much needed warm up and a feed of Prime Rib at a local eatery. The count 24 ducks and 30 geese, was more than enuff to make a tuff couple of days worth the cold and all the effort. :-D

Foxton Gundogs
12-22-2013, 10:32 AM
Lunch break just before the "blizzard" hit
http://i1136.photobucket.com/albums/n499/FoxtonGundogs/hunting%202013/OKOpening.jpg (http://s1136.photobucket.com/user/FoxtonGundogs/media/hunting%202013/OKOpening.jpg.html)

Kudu
12-22-2013, 10:34 AM
Awesome shooting Jim - seems like you guys had a "blast" - Okanagen hey? Who would have thought!

xfactor
12-22-2013, 12:34 PM
Well done Foxton...sorry I had to miss it. The nerve of relatives flying in from down under!

Nice shooting.

How was the dog work?

cavebear
12-22-2013, 01:08 PM
Nicely done

FirePower
12-22-2013, 10:40 PM
Capitol shoot mate.

bogman
12-23-2013, 09:59 AM
Jim,
It was nice to put a face to name at lunch that first day. Please don't brag about the hunting up here too much (lol). Always good to see my buddy Fowl, we've had the odd adventure together. Great first day but what happened on day 2?

biggyun68
12-23-2013, 12:00 PM
Congratulations Guys: I am so happy you made it there and back safe... with Geese and Ducks in the bag to beet:
Wish I could of joined the party - but it is not everyday your daughter turns twelve:-D
Have a very Merry Christmas
Colin

B-rad
12-23-2013, 12:33 PM
Awesome job,,,,lots of bird huntin here in the Thomspson still,,,,they holding up from going further south,,,more and more birds every year

Foxton Gundogs
12-23-2013, 07:39 PM
Jim,
It was nice to put a face to name at lunch that first day. Please don't brag about the hunting up here too much (lol). Always good to see my buddy Fowl, we've had the odd adventure together. Great first day but what happened on day 2?

Yah you to bud, always great to put a face with a name. As for the second day not much to report so I didn't. We went to a different location and were not expecting much so just put out a few deeks and a tarp blind between a row of trees. Nothing flew anywhere near us so we called it very early just as we were about to break down 1 small flock came by and Fowl and I double teamed the same bird :oops: and that was that. Even the mandatory F you buzz of the deeks by a flock as we were picking up didn't happen. Good trip home and I was on the Buffet Cruise to Victoria by 6( damn Duke Pt. boat stops running at 3 on Sat.) Still a great trip and if you can't take the bad with the good you should not play the game:-D