PDA

View Full Version : It's predator time!!

adamgarbett
12-20-2013, 09:39 PM
I bought myself a new gun for an early 30th birthday present to myself :)

Shes a savage axis xp in a 223. Now alls I can think about is bagging me a bobcat or any predator for that matter.

Anyone wanna get together for a day hunt around the Peachland area?? Reply here or send me a PM if your interested!

Adam

dave_fras
12-20-2013, 10:05 PM
im heading out in the morning for a hunt with the gf!... maybe she can knock down her first dog!

good luck out there!!

backcountrybowhunter
12-20-2013, 10:32 PM
I bought a 22-250 remington 700 vtr 6x24x50 vortex hslr. Shot 3 coyotes with it so far this winter.
Good luck out their

Rich_D
12-20-2013, 11:56 PM
Was going out tonight to lay down some bait for tomorrow but looks like I'm having a starting issue with my truck. GL to those going out for Yotes tomorrow..........I'll be fixing my truck. :-(

Wentrot
12-21-2013, 03:00 PM
Being a full virgin to predator hunting I have a question or two for those with experience. Me and my buddy would like to try for a coyote or two but are not really to sure where to begin. Would simply setting up on the edge of a clearing and using an electronic call be the way to go or is there more to it? I am out in the fraser valley.

Fella
12-21-2013, 03:03 PM
I was given a freezer full of freezer burnt meat so I'm going to lay it out early morning in the field and then come back in the evening with my rabbit squealer and see what happens

Stone Sheep Steve
12-21-2013, 05:02 PM
Going to be starting a predator program in the new year. Hacked up a leftover deer carcass and put in in a rubbermaid tub and filled it with water with a chain thru the middle. Just got to go set it up...with tcam.

Yote was already on it last night in my yard. Cam will be set up tonight for the backyardigans.

phoenix
12-21-2013, 05:10 PM
Being a full virgin to predator hunting I have a question or two for those with experience. Me and my buddy would like to try for a coyote or two but are not really to sure where to begin. Would simply setting up on the edge of a clearing and using an electronic call be the way to go or is there more to it? I am out in the fraser valley.
Do a little walking and scouting looking for tracks also but basically that's about it. Sun at your back and wind in your face. Place the caller 50-100 yds upwind of you and have at it. Good luck.
Kim

phoenix
12-21-2013, 05:11 PM
Going to be starting a predator program in the new year. Hacked up a leftover deer carcass and put in in a rubbermaid tub and filled it with water with a chain thru the middle. Just got to go set it up...with tcam.

Yote was already on it last night in my yard. Cam will be set up tonight for the backyardigans.

Ok. I'll bite. How does one have a left over deer carcass???
Kim

coach
12-21-2013, 05:14 PM
Kim

Skeleton...

Stone Sheep Steve
12-21-2013, 05:18 PM
Kim

Ribs, spine, sinew, fat and outside trim.
Delicious...is you're a yote...or an alley cat.

SSS

phoenix
12-21-2013, 05:45 PM
OK, I thought it was a whole deer and I had to ask:):)
To all you newbie coyote hunters in the OK and a lot of the old-timers too, if you want to keep your fur you should really take Pete on this site up on his free skinning/fur handling lesson. I went a couple of weeks ago and learned a ton. I've been messing with them for a while and found out I really didn't have a clue, lol. He is a total pro and really knows his stuff. He should, he's older than me and been doing this all his life. Just PM him and ask real nice and I'm sure he'll teach you a lot also.
Kim

Stone Sheep Steve
12-21-2013, 05:50 PM
To all you newbie coyote hunters in the OK and a lot of the old-timers too, if you want to keep your fur you should really take Pete on this site up on his free skinning/fur handling lesson. I went a couple of weeks ago and learned a ton. I've been messing with them for a while and found out I really didn't have a clue, lol. He is a total pro and really knows his stuff. He should, he's older than me and been doing this all his life. Just PM him and ask real nice and I'm sure he'll teach you a lot also.
Kim

Yes, I really need to do that.....or maybe his "protege" can show me the ropes?
I haven't done anything with the fur of the few yotes I've taken over the years.

With the amount you take, Phoenix, it could help fund your hobbies!

SSS

Wentrot
12-21-2013, 06:15 PM
Do a little walking and scouting looking for tracks also but basically that's about it. Sun at your back and wind in your face. Place the caller 50-100 yds upwind of you and have at it. Good luck.
Kim

Thanks-I will post any photos of success!

phoenix
12-21-2013, 09:14 PM
Yes, I really need to do that.....or maybe his "protege" can show me the ropes?
I haven't done anything with the fur of the few yotes I've taken over the years.

With the amount you take, Phoenix, it could help fund your hobbies!

SSS

The biggest thing I learned, much to my chagrin, was that my hands are way to arthritic to do any amount of that kind of work. I thought I might be able to do a little hobby funding but not a hope in h**l. I am very happy that I did find someone to take my coyotes and use them instead of me wasting them.
On another note I heard wolves howling last night and they were very close plus the deer that were laying around the yard today suddenly freaked out and ran off according to the wife. I think I will be out calling tomorrow morning and I will be using the new game drag and call lanyard I just made. Hopefully they will bring me wolf luck, lol.
Kim
http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q47/elimsprint/DSC01939_zps4346826a.jpg (http://s133.photobucket.com/user/elimsprint/media/DSC01939_zps4346826a.jpg.html)

Stone Sheep Steve
12-21-2013, 10:11 PM
I heard about someone in your "general area" out walking their shepherd last week or so and had an encounter with a wolf. Wolf tried luring the dog away and there were 2 other wolves hanging back a couple hundred yards. Luckily the dog never wandered away.

Good luck!

SSS

adamgarbett
12-21-2013, 11:49 PM
Let me retake this thread, anyone wanna join in??

Stone Sheep Steve
12-22-2013, 07:55 AM
Sorry for the hijack, Adam!
I'll be on the program in the new year but my daughter will tie up my time.
Once I get the bait pile in position, I'd be willing to share intelligence.
Need to thin them out. Don't care who does it.

SSS

Hightest
12-25-2013, 03:24 PM
I'll join in if you don't mind a stranger....

Pete
12-25-2013, 06:13 PM
Kim
Thank you Kim!!! Offer is still open to anyone who wants to learn how to put up fur...I have made this offer a couple of times over the past few year, hate to see them go to waste...it was good to have you in the shop. stop by anytime. Merry Christmas
Pete

adamgarbett
12-25-2013, 08:03 PM
Sorry for the hijack, Adam!
I'll be on the program in the new year but my daughter will tie up my time.
Once I get the bait pile in position, I'd be willing to share intelligence.
Need to thin them out. Don't care who does it.

SSS

thanx Brent free intel is always welcome lol. Would love for you to join me tho. I just got my present in the mail yesterday. I'm thinking of heading out and setting up a little intel station of my own tomorrow :)

adamgarbett
12-25-2013, 08:05 PM
I'll join in if you don't mind a stranger....

The more the merrier

Hightest
12-26-2013, 12:32 PM
When and where!

rshew
12-27-2013, 11:15 AM
Hi,
I know I don't need a species license in region 8 for wolfs but do I need a hunting license?? (General Species??)
Thanks for your help!

phoenix
12-27-2013, 11:25 AM
Yes, You need a hunting licence to hunt anything in BC other than "Schedule C" animals.
Kim

Kudu
12-27-2013, 10:41 PM
http://i1290.photobucket.com/albums/b535/privateaffair/f5104e4ba18eece22cf03e8d308e5789_zps4fe6c69d.jpg

one-shot-wonder
12-27-2013, 10:56 PM
Nice work Kudu! What's the story? Bait pile or calling?

Kudu
12-27-2013, 11:06 PM
Nice work Kudu! What's the story? Bait pile or calling?

Foxpro & .17 hornet.......

Drillbit
12-28-2013, 12:13 AM
Saw a few today from the highway, edges of the sloughs north of LacLaHache. They were moving around +3 and raining 3pm.

Fella
12-28-2013, 12:52 AM
Well my predator hunting was a bust this week. I set out two different bait piles, but the dogs just weren't active until dark.

Pete
12-28-2013, 06:56 AM
Though dawn an dusk are the most productive, four of the last 7 I have taken are between 9 and 11 in the morning coming back in for a morning snack If the birds are hitting your piles be patient they will come in.

Kudu
12-28-2013, 08:10 AM
Patience and a good hunting partner.......

http://i1290.photobucket.com/albums/b535/privateaffair/90d18239f18ac1e362e8bdd653abc37c_zps6a46c982.jpg

Phreddy
12-28-2013, 12:13 PM
Hope you manage to make many big bad wolves into "good wolves". And we all know what makes a wolf good don't we.
The biggest thing I learned, much to my chagrin, was that my hands are way to arthritic to do any amount of that kind of work. I thought I might be able to do a little hobby funding but not a hope in h**l. I am very happy that I did find someone to take my coyotes and use them instead of me wasting them.
On another note I heard wolves howling last night and they were very close plus the deer that were laying around the yard today suddenly freaked out and ran off according to the wife. I think I will be out calling tomorrow morning and I will be using the new game drag and call lanyard I just made. Hopefully they will bring me wolf luck, lol.
Kim
http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q47/elimsprint/DSC01939_zps4346826a.jpg (http://s133.photobucket.com/user/elimsprint/media/DSC01939_zps4346826a.jpg.html)

Dirty
12-28-2013, 01:19 PM
What's the deal with guys talking about setting bait piles? Is it legal to set piles for wolves and coyotes ? I was looking in the regs the other night and couldn't find any information.

butcher
12-28-2013, 01:50 PM
....yes...

Wentrot
12-31-2013, 05:04 PM
Had the first taste of failure today.Checked our bait pile and not a damn thing had touched it in the three days it was out. Does it normally require more time to bring em in or shpuld a new location be picked out?

Thanks a bunch.Had high hopes of at least getting a crow on the trail cam lol.

phoenix
12-31-2013, 05:30 PM
Had the first taste of failure today.Checked our bait pile and not a damn thing had touched it in the three days it was out. Does it normally require more time to bring em in or shpuld a new location be picked out?

Thanks a bunch.Had high hopes of at least getting a crow on the trail cam lol.
Was there coyote tracks nearby before you set it out? Is it out in the open so the birds can see it easily but still close to some cover for the coyotes? It should start to smell some in three or four days depending on how cold it is where you are. We are having a chinook right now in Kelowna so if you are near here you should get some action soon. The last "bait" I was watching took them 5 days to find but it was really cold then.
Kim

Wentrot
12-31-2013, 05:39 PM
Thanks for the reply.I am in the Fraser Valley-quite mild and zero snow in the area I am in is making spotting any sign quite tricky.We did find some scat close by so will get a photo of that posted shortly for a better identification.

Perhaps our set up is not in the open enough, It is directly on the edge of the tree line alongside a large open area....Looked good at first but am now second guessing. Ah well its all entertaining!

aggiehunter
12-31-2013, 06:37 PM
...word to the wise...just make sure theres no edible portions left on your "carcass".......no edible portion..no tickey...

Wentrot
01-03-2014, 09:58 AM
Any ideas? The photos are far from perfect lol.

http://i986.photobucket.com/albums/ae344/matthewtrot/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_0944_zpse17c02ee.jpg (http://s986.photobucket.com/user/matthewtrot/media/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_0944_zpse17c02ee.jpg.html)
http://i986.photobucket.com/albums/ae344/matthewtrot/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_0941_zps805d620d.jpg (http://s986.photobucket.com/user/matthewtrot/media/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_0941_zps805d620d.jpg.html)

phoenix
01-03-2014, 10:20 AM
The top one is definitely coyote, the second looks a little more like domestic dog but hard to tell. Try putting a glove or cartridge case beside the scat for some size comparison next time, it helps us internet sleuths:)
Kim

Wentrot
01-03-2014, 10:32 AM
Thanks for the reply! At least we have one confirmed suspect. Now I am even more confused about the untouched bait. Its still out so we will take a looksy tomorrow.

Thanks again

Matt

GoatGuy
01-03-2014, 02:10 PM
...word to the wise...just make sure theres no edible portions left on your "carcass".......no edible portion..no tickey...

edible portions must be removed to permanent residence, what you do with them after that is your business.

Rich_D
01-03-2014, 04:24 PM
If the scat is full of deer hair or other fur like contents you definitely have a predator there. They usually crap right in the middle of a trail or road so that other predators traveling those routes will know it's some other pred's territory.

Barracuda
01-03-2014, 05:29 PM

edible portions??? Edible Portions
- with respect to big game,
excluding grizzly bear, cougar, wolf, lynx, bobcat
and wolverine, means the edible portions of
the four quarters and the loins of the animal
and with respect to game birds, means the
edible portions of both breasts of the bird.

Furbearing Animal
- means a fox, beaver,
black bear, marten, fisher, lynx, bobcat, mink,
muskrat, river otter, raccoon, striped and
spotted skunk, northern flying squirrel, red and
Douglas’ squirrel, ermine, weasel, wolverine,
wolf or coyote.

You should also know it’s unlawful:

to kill wildlife (with the exception of grizzly
bear, cougar or a fur bearing animal other
than a black bear) and fail to remove from
the carcass the edible portions of the four
quarters and loins to the person’s normal
dwelling place or to a meat cutter or the
owner or operator of a cold storage plant.
A person who kills wildlife is exempted
from the requirement to remove the
edible portions if that person transfers
possession of the wildlife to a recipient
who complies with the requirement.
Edible portions do not include meat that
has been damaged and made inedible
by the method of taking. Of grizzly bear,
cougar or a furbearing animal other than
a black bear, the hide must be removed
to the person’s normal dwelling place or
to a meat cutter, the owner or operator