PDA

View Full Version : North Peace Area (Rabbit)

BraveKnight
12-19-2013, 01:22 PM
Hi All,

Finally wrote and passed the core. Just waiting on my number. I know I have missed all the big game hunts for this year. But I am interested in going for some small game. Anyone know of a good area to go for rabbit around FSJ and the North Peace area.

Steelpulse
12-19-2013, 01:28 PM
I am in Kamloops never hunted up there but hunts lots of rabbits down here, its relatively easy find an area with tons of tracks and just walk slowly around in the am or evening times they will move around more, in the am its actually quite easy to track them, look for the thickest stuff and they will be in there, make sure not to go to fast or you will walk right by them, sometimes they jump out from about as close as you can get without stepping on them, they hold very tight to cover, if you see one just sitting there, take they shot as quick as you can or it will be gone but then you can track it if you need to, sometimes can follow them quite a ways.

DawsonCreedmoor
12-19-2013, 02:08 PM
I have never been myself, but I have heard from a few friends, that the Jedney area, north of fsj has a lot of lynx, which would mean lots of rabbits. So it may be worth a look.

If it were me I would go by a rabbit in distress call and try and bag a lynx, and if your eyes are good enough you may be able to spot a rabbit or two. (tough to see right now when they're all white!)

While I've never ate lynx, a lot of people rave about it. And you can get a pretty nice rug or mount for your wall. (lynx tag is $8)

brutus
12-19-2013, 08:32 PM
any roads off alaska highway between fsj and inga lake has shit loads of wabbits,also down bear flats has lots too

Opinionated Ol Phart
12-19-2013, 09:45 PM
Tasty little boogers-- mix um up in a stew with a grouse or two and you have a dish fit for a king!!!

BraveKnight
12-20-2013, 04:59 PM
Thanks all. Patiently waiting for my core number

hare_assassin
12-20-2013, 05:02 PM
Unlike steelpulse, I find my greatest success in hunting them during the winter months in the middle of the day. In the fall, early morning and evening are best for sure, but once the snow flies I find far more between 10 and 2 than any other times. I also find that they will sit there indefinitely once I have spotted them and I always have plenty of time to get the crosshairs on them and make sure of a clean head shot. No need to rush. They are easier than grouse.