PDA

View Full Version : Fire up some MORE G-BEAR LEH !

BlacktailStalker
12-18-2013, 11:13 PM
http://www.newsroom.gov.bc.ca/2013/12/grizzly-study-sheds-further-light-on-bear-numbers.html

MB_Boy
12-19-2013, 01:15 AM
But, but, but that nice man on CBC with the coke bottle glasses and tons of money says they are on the brink of extinction? :-|

Andy....,is this a trolling post? :wink:

rcar
12-19-2013, 10:30 AM
What stands out for me is that only 300 grizz were harvested by hunters. I did a quick and rough count of the LEH tags given out and I come up with just over 4000 plus whatever the outfitters in BC get (which I expect their harvest rate per tag to be very high).

I am guessing by these numbers LEH hunters take maybe 200, or less than half of 1% of the tags awarded. How is that possible? Are guys getting drawn and not going or is it really that hard to harvest a grizz inthe LEH areas?.....or maby PETA is buying up all the tags:-D with tens of thousands of PETA members secretly with hunter numbers that put in for the draws......

panhead
12-19-2013, 11:09 AM
I always wondered about Greeners buying up the tags ... I guess we'll never know though ...

sawmill
12-19-2013, 11:37 AM
I hear the LEH might be on again in the EK.

junkyard_g
12-19-2013, 05:43 PM
success rate has always been very low for grizz. For alot of people they simply put in for an area they'll be hunting in already for the off chance they encounter one and never specifically target them. Others put in for spring draw were theyre working or also as a just-in-case tag when they are black bear hunting. Personally I have had a tag 4 times and never connected.

Tons of substitute hunts go unused too. Last year a bunch of us applied to a region just north of PG for a spring trip. 3 of us got drawn for that area but 2 got drawn for areas over 400km north. Needless to say they didnt make a seperate trip that spring for those tags (they were from van). None of us will check that box again "area of your second choice" is a relative term I guess lol. we thought it might be one of the 4 bordering regions and one could make a day trip from base camp if need be.

Boner
12-19-2013, 06:05 PM
RCAR, good point. I get spring drawn in an area that I'm quite familiar with, but can't always get to it because of the snowpack, even in mid June when the draw ends.

hunter1947
12-20-2013, 05:00 AM
I wish that there would have an LEH draw in the area I hunt I know that there are more grizzly bears in the past 10 years then ever before..

RiverOtter
12-20-2013, 06:53 AM
Another regulation that cuts into G-bear harvest in at least reg 4, is the no snowmobile use. A lot tougher to hunt when you can't access the spots where the g-bears are, especially the older males that you're supposed to be targeting.....

Rackmastr
12-20-2013, 08:28 AM
Great to see positive news on the subject!!!!

Mikey Rafiki
12-20-2013, 09:11 AM
I hear the LEH might be on again in the EK.

I read that in the paper to the other day. The number of Grizz in the Elk Valley is ridiculous and I would sure love the chance to kill one of those elk stealing boars. I won't hunt up there unless I'm with a couple other guys, or at least call in some help if I get something down, as I've had a few encounters that weren't to pleasant.