PDA

View Full Version : Fsr marked with no trespassing signs.

davet
12-18-2013, 09:28 PM
If you were out hunting and you came appon a fsr that had no trespassing signs. No fence and no cattle guard. What would you do?
-keep driving till you get to a area you want to hunt
or
-turn back

hunter1993ap
12-18-2013, 10:36 PM
I normally scout and do some resurch before hitting an area, but some guys do feel entitled to put signs up where its crown. bit of a tough question to answer.

North49
12-18-2013, 10:41 PM
Personally.....no gate and I would keep going.

Whiterock
12-18-2013, 11:01 PM
According to the Minister of forests, and the RCMP,,a FSR is a public road, and you have every right to acces it. If it is gated, you have the right to go thru it,,if locked,,contact the RCMP and insist that you be allowed access,,you paid for the road,,you have the right to use it. However,,its a real grey area, if the road goes thru private property. So as hard as it can be,,make sure you know where you are,,and above all,,,stand up for your rights.

Doostien
12-18-2013, 11:02 PM
Forest Service roads can be excluded from crown leases and potentially private property. So the road may be public, but the area it passes through may be private.

I would avoid leaving the road where it is marked 'No Trespassing' as it may be a private access or an illegal trail. I would imagine at some point you would have crossed a cattle guard, even if it was 15k before that sign whole area might be fenced. Once I got home I would research the area and see what it actually is. If its crown the next time; the sign can be damned.

Gun Dog
12-18-2013, 11:12 PM
How do you know it's a FSR? There are roads that are on private property that connect with FSR and public roads but may be entirely private. Who knows? I tend to ignore "no trespassing" signs until there's evidence that it's actually private property. I do tread lightly because you never know and befriending a rancher is better than pissing them off.

Sofa King
12-18-2013, 11:24 PM
so, is the sign saying continuing on the road is trespassing?
or is it showing that the property the road is traveling through can't be trespassed on?
if it was referring to the road, then it would be blocked.
so I'd guess it the property, and there's lots of areas that are like that.
is there a reason you think it's not private land and you should ignore the signs?

adriaticum
12-18-2013, 11:42 PM
Maybe the forest guys are closing that road and its a legal closure. Its good to know the history of that fsr and find out from the locals.

davet
12-19-2013, 12:19 AM
No evidence of being private land. I have also looked on google earth and no houses or ranches that I can see. There might be forestry work but I did not see any. I did not drive down the road to far.

adriaticum
12-19-2013, 12:24 AM
No evidence of being private land. I have also looked on google earth and no houses or ranches that I can see. There might be forestry work but I did not see any. I did not drive down the road to far.

Dont count on google earth. Check moe web site and ask local folk

Sofa King
12-19-2013, 12:26 AM

so, is it implying that you cannot continue down the road?

Barracuda
12-19-2013, 10:11 AM
hunter and and eco fruits will also put up signs so they can have their own pvt reserve. check with the ministry

davet
12-19-2013, 12:15 PM
hunter and and eco fruits will also put up signs so they can have their own pvt reserve. check with the ministry
Ya I think that's what I'm going to do.
Thanks everyone for your info

tigrr
12-19-2013, 01:19 PM
Some doesn't want you messing with their grow op!! Keep Out!

btridge
12-19-2013, 02:56 PM
Be careful, you may be trespassing, many roads cross private property to get to an fsr road...in these cases, the company crossing the private property pays a trespass fee by contract, the only legal access, outside that contract, across that private property is by landowner permission.

dana
12-19-2013, 05:08 PM
Lots of logging roads are built across private land with a deal being made with the landowner. Usually X amount of $ per cubic metre hauled across their land. The landowner usually never gives up the right to the land only gives permission to build the road and trespass during the development, logging and hauling of the blocks on Crown behind the Private. The Landowner has every right to gate and hang No trespassing signs on these roads. I've seen some where the landowner didn't care and a handshake deal was done and the road was used for years with everyone thinking it indeed was a FSR only to have the land sold and the new landowners put up gates, which is their legal right.

s0ylentgreen
12-19-2013, 06:52 PM
very interesting

what is the best way to get information on what is private vs public?

(i've seen some suggestions to talk with Ministry...which website?)

Everett
12-19-2013, 07:17 PM
Imaps just enable the private ownership layer

http://www.data.gov.bc.ca/dbc/geographic/view_and_analyze/imapbc/index.page

ducktoller
12-19-2013, 07:22 PM
Be careful, lots of grow ups in the wild.

Rich_D
12-19-2013, 07:23 PM
Go to http://webmaps.gov.bc.ca/imfx/imf.jsp?site=imapbc
Click "Layers", at right click "Add Layers"
In Popup choose Land Ownership and Status then check Integrated Cadastral Fabric

You can now refresh map and you should be able check/uncheck (on right side of screen) Private, Crown and Unknown owned property. Private shows as Yellow, Crown as Pink

http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj311/CyaN1de_01/Untitled-1-1.jpg

Imaps just enable the private ownership layer

http://www.data.gov.bc.ca/dbc/geographic/view_and_analyze/imapbc/index.page
Or use the above link and use imap 2.0 and enable the private ownership layer (similar to my instructions above but without enabling the whole Integrated Cadastral Fabric layer)

XPEIer
12-20-2013, 07:50 AM
Just a follow up to Rich_D, the pink is "surveyed crown" if it is NOT coloured, it is Crown as well. You can also dig through the Land Ownership Layer and find Leases (including Ag).

xpeier

s0ylentgreen
12-20-2013, 08:17 AM
awesome - thanks!

Peter Pepper
12-20-2013, 10:10 AM
Thanks Rich D!
I've tried to use that map before, but didn't click the right layers.