PDA

View Full Version : Marks 2013 season

mark
12-18-2013, 09:14 PM
As much as I wanted too, factors in life didnt favor me doing a stone sheep hunt this year :icon_frow, but I already have plans for next year....
So the season started with an alpine muley trip. It proved to be the worst we've ever seen, with not a single buck sighted??? Think were giving up on this mountain for a few years....

I instantly switched gears into elk mode. I was rolling solo, living out of my truck for days on end trying different spots, checking cams etc...
Some of our best spots were pretty bleak and in the first 10 days, only 2 bulls were seen and not a single cow??
After a mid day, camp re-location, I closed the door of my truck and heard a distant bugle from waaaay up a remote mtn side. Not a hunter I thought to myself. lol

I tried every calling trick I know to get him to come down, but he wouldnt budge.
Unable to control my legs, they took me in the direction of the music... as I climbed this steep, wet, nasty, blowdown riddled mtn my brain kept reminding me that this is really stupid, you dont want to kill one up here.
As i closed in to about 300 yards I noticed separation in the bugles and realized there was 2 bulls calling to each other.
I texted buddy who was elk hunting about 2 hour drive away, as i was gonna need help if this panned out... Kill one he says and Ill be on my way.
I entered the buglefest mimicking the bulls bugles, which intensified quickly. at 100 yards away, I couldnt yet see either bull, but trees were being destroyed on either side of me, the calling was almost nonstop, and I was right in the middle of 2 raging bulls.
From what I could tell, each bull had cows with em and the fight to win em was starting as the upper bull came rolling out and trotting right down to me.
At 60 yards I got a 6 count and down he went.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/2013_elk_001_Small_.jpg
The other bull was only about 50 yards away, and I couldnt help but wonder if I had shot the better bull?
As soon as I lifted a leg to knock the guts out, I was surprised and glad I killed the bull I did...

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/2013_elk_004_Small_.jpg

Turns out someone took a poke at him a few days earlier I figured???
Hard to believe he was still in full blown rut mode? Maybe he was just mad and wanted to fight?
Either way, OUCH!
It had taken me 3 hours to hike/hunt my way to these bulls and twas an hour before dark. I snapped a few pics, pulled the guts, loaded up t-loins, and backstraps, and booked for the truck.
Buddy showed up that night, and at first light we were off to retrieve the bull.
I was very fortunate it was cool and wet that sept. day as we didnt get it done 4 the next day, one of the longest hardest elk pack jobs yet.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/2013_elk_005_Small_.jpg
Not a great scoring bull, but my biggest to date!

mark
12-18-2013, 09:14 PM
Not much to say for this hunt, I dont really put much effort or passion into whiteys, but I do like eating them.
this was the best shed I found of the season.
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/whitey_shed.jpg
Sorry about the small pics????
Again I was rolling solo, muley hunting as a matter of fact, just passing through some hell bush when this bugger flushed like a grouse! I think he was doing about 90mph, my gun went bang twice, and this is what I found.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/2013_whitey.jpg
He had a forked eye guard, broken off, as well as his left G-2 broken.
Heres a look at the hell bush they hide in, not sure how I made a 75 yard shot on the run???
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/2013_whitey1.jpg
Another hunter heard my shots, showed up, helped me with the bone out process, and even carried out the head for a 2 hour hike out. Dont get that kind of service to often.

mark
12-18-2013, 09:15 PM
As many here know, big muleys are my true passion in life! Well in my case maybe a disease????
Last year I saw about 80 bucks, 27 of which were 4 points or better.
Much like last year, I covered tons of ground in many different areas.
Almost always solo, I spent many days in some remote areas, playing count the bucks, and taking pictures.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/2013_goat_and_deer_024_Small_.jpg
Didnt find many sheds this past year, and this is no freshy, but the best overall and in good shape.
Had several T-cams going, but never got a pic of a good buck either?
As my region 8 hunting found me nothing over the 170", I moved on to reg. 3 and made several trips.
I invited a couple HBC'ers along, on a late season wall tent camp, as all my hunting buddies seem to be working up north these days.
Both guys had freezers full of moose or elk.
My rules were simple, this is not a meat hunt, if its the best buck of "your life" ya got the green light from me.
In the first 2 days, both guys were able to pass on bucks that would of been their personal best!
Guess they figured the giants were right around the next corner??? lol
The hunting was hit and miss, deep snow, and very, very cold, but we all saw plenty of decent bucks.
On the last hour of the last day one we saw a beauty non typ worth going after, a nice heavy 6x6 and despite a number of hiccups, a buddy got his best buck of his life. 172"er
I will say I was probably the best muley hunt of my life that day and worthy of its own thread, sorry Im not posting pics, thats up to the shooter if he chooses?

I then got busy with the region 8 bow season, again lots of bucks, but nothing real big....
Since I ate muley tag soup last season, I resolved myself to anything over 190" or something very rare, cool, or unique.
So when opportunity finally came around on this guy, (which required some time over several days) I decided he was definately rare, cool, and unique.
arrow away!

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/2013_bow_muley_010_Small_.jpg

A perfect double lunger, and he was done in 40 yards, another 100 yard slide to the nearest excuse of a road.
First muley I havnt had to pack out for a few years.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/2013_bow_muley_012_Small_.jpg

Id like to mention, that I made dam sure he was a clean 2 point, even a little third would of destroyed the cool, rare factor here.
Ive seen thousands of bucks in my life, a few booners, and never seen anything quite like this guy in my life!

Also, he's a very mature buck, likely would of never amounted to anything, and was chasing does around hard, a good one to weed from the gene pool!

I ended up seeing a total of 85 bucks, 39 of which were 4 points or better, 6 of which I figured about the 170" mark for this past season.
The top 3 are all confirmed dead, shot by other hunters, either the same day or the next of my sighting them.

I also camped with various other HBC'ers where, elk, 2 moose, a 6x6 whitey, and a goat were taken, those guys can add pics if they choose?

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/2013_goat_and_deer_011_Small_.jpg
I should mention that all these hunts I was alone, so these mediocre pics were selfies with the cam sitting on my backpack.

All in all, lots of success and lots of meat in the freezer! Cant wait for next year!

f350ps
12-18-2013, 09:17 PM
Wow, beauty Bull, keep it coming! Thanks, K

lovemywinchester
12-18-2013, 09:19 PM
Right on Mark. I was hoping you would have a few pics and stories coming up. Always like to see threads from the guys getting it done.

Rhyno
12-18-2013, 09:21 PM
Nice bull, sounds like an exciting hunt!

.308 NORMA
12-18-2013, 09:21 PM
Nice looking Bull !!!!! To bad about the muley's

dana
12-18-2013, 09:29 PM
Nice bull Mark. Way to get er done solo! Looking forward to what the rest of your season looked like.

A killer
12-18-2013, 10:03 PM
Great job, Mark!! Looking forward to next year!!!!

12-18-2013, 10:09 PM
Great Thread Once again Mark. Congrats on your season, you always seem to get er done with your hard work and passion for the sport.
Thanks for sharing again this season.

CT

pnbrock
12-18-2013, 10:15 PM
you never disappoint !!! well done my friend.

BlacktailStalker
12-18-2013, 10:23 PM
Who's Mark ?
Good eats on the ground so far....

Rackmastr
12-18-2013, 10:31 PM
Congrats!!

mark
12-18-2013, 10:32 PM
Who's Mark ?
Good eats on the ground so far....

Ha Ha, how quickly shit changes around here when ya leave town for a while.

scottwh
12-18-2013, 10:40 PM
Great story Mark! Next year at the wall tent camp I hope round the corner to a cranker muley!!! And yes, I will get around to posting up my 2013 hunts with the goat, 6x6 whitey and my moose! Thanx again for joining me on the goat hunt! It was a rush! Again, good job on the solo hunts :)

~T-BONE~
12-18-2013, 10:42 PM
Good stuff as usual mark! Thanks for posting up!

Bc Deer Hunter
12-18-2013, 10:48 PM
Hey mark great season, congrats on a beuty elk, and nice whitetail!! My self and a friend both passed on that same two piont early bow season, looking for a bigger 4... I figuered he got stuck because he wasnt hanging around later, when we thought it might have been a good idea to take a poke at him!! If your interested i wouldnt mind sharing a pic via PM of a big 4 piont that we couldnt close the distance on in the same area that 2 piont was hanging out in! later-
BCDH

Bc Deer Hunter
12-18-2013, 10:50 PM
Great story Mark! Next year at the wall tent camp I hope round the corner to a cranker muley!!! And yes, I will get around to posting up my 2013 hunts with the goat, 6x6 whitey and my moose! Thanx again for joining me on the goat hunt! It was a rush! Again, good job on the solo hunts :)
Was that your guys black horse hanging out in the feild by any chance?? :D Looking forward to your pictures and storys!!

coach
12-18-2013, 11:17 PM
Congrats on another successful season, Mark. Hopefully those buddies of yours will post up their pics. Sounds like some good animals went down. Definitley an interesting wound on that bull. He couldn't have been too comfortable walking around like that. Any chance he was gored by another bull? Any other injuries on his back end?

mark
12-18-2013, 11:20 PM
Hey mark great season, congrats on a beuty elk, and nice whitetail!! My self and a friend both passed on that same two piont early bow season, looking for a bigger 4... I figuered he got stuck because he wasnt hanging around later, when we thought it might have been a good idea to take a poke at him!! If your interested i wouldnt mind sharing a pic via PM of a big 4 piont that we couldnt close the distance on in the same area that 2 piont was hanging out in! later-
BCDH

anything is possible, but id be surprised if its the same 2 point??
But please do share the area you saw the 2 point and other buck pic, as I saw many bucks in the same area (Via PM please)

Was that your guys black horse hanging out in the feild by any chance?? :D Looking forward to your pictures and storys!!

Black horse? me no horse guy?

mark
12-18-2013, 11:24 PM
Congrats on another successful season, Mark. Hopefully those buddies of yours will post up their pics. Sounds like some good animals went down. Definitley an interesting wound on that bull. He couldn't have been too comfortable walking around like that. Any chance he was gored by another bull? Any other injuries on his back end?

No other fighting wounds, vasectomy was done by a bullet, no question in our minds.

hotload
12-18-2013, 11:34 PM
Once again, an HBC mainstay brings it on home. Great stuff Mark....................................

Sofa King
12-19-2013, 12:19 AM
your big 2 reminds me of this guy.
http://i1072.photobucket.com/albums/w362/deddeer/PC021212.jpg (http://s1072.photobucket.com/user/deddeer/media/PC021212.jpg.html)
http://i1072.photobucket.com/albums/w362/deddeer/PC021211.jpg (http://s1072.photobucket.com/user/deddeer/media/PC021211.jpg.html)
it's not though.
wrong region, and I saw this guy again this season right at the end.
cool deer.

Whonnock Boy
12-19-2013, 01:57 AM
Another good season for you. You hard work and determination pays off. Thanks for sharing.

Walking Buffalo
12-19-2013, 03:01 AM
Nice haul this year.

That would be quite the snipe to clip the end of one testicle and nothing else. If the injury is not from another bull then I would suspect that he hooked that berry on a stick.

hunter1947
12-19-2013, 04:37 AM
Very good season you had for sure lots of meat and some very nice animals you put down ,,I enjoyed your story and the pictures you put up that bull is very nice looks to me it will score around the 300 mark

Thans very much for taking the time to put up your story and pictures ,,congrats to your Mark on a very successful y hunting season..

hunter1947
12-19-2013, 04:41 AM
Ha Ha, how quickly shit changes around here when ya leave town for a while.

Mark good to see your back your posts on HBC are always interesting to me..

kennyj
12-19-2013, 07:14 AM
Great season! Lots of quality time in the field, and some nice animals. Very COOL 2 point!
kenny

frenchbar
12-19-2013, 07:19 AM
Good season for ya Mark.. nice size forkhorn !

moosinaround
12-19-2013, 07:42 AM
Good stuff Mark! I figured you musta been going hard core! Seen pics on crackbook, was just waiting for the HBC write up! Moosin

MB_Boy
12-19-2013, 08:11 AM
Awesome Mark! Thanks for sharing!

Brambles
12-19-2013, 08:15 AM
Hey Mark, sounds like a great year. Our alpine mulie hunt sucked balls too this past season.

So lemme get this straight, u went hunting with a couple HBC'ers and peckers hit the dirt but the guy won't post pics....wtf... Guy's a loser or what?

i gotta admit though I've been having a hard time posting pics too these days...during our late season mulie hunt in Region 4 we had an unfortunate run in with a couple gut plié chasers. The one guy admitted the reason they were there was because he heard we were in there..... Wtf....and his partner was sooo jacked up that they seen us, he wants to pound the area next season! now I'm unsure if these guys are lurker a on HBC or not but it gets a guy thinking!!

CRS
12-19-2013, 08:27 AM
Amazing pics and season Mark! I would personally like to thank you for posting these. An incredibly busy work sched this past year meant no big game opportunities for me. Did make the time to take my son out for his first jr hunt and he got a really nice hare. It is so nice to see others success and hear the stories of their hunts when you can't make it out yourself, WITHOUT A BUNCH OF GUYS PILING ON ABOUT "where were you", "your ethics don't match mine", "we only shoot ____, so how could you shoot that?!?!" and so on....I personally appreciate the photos an stories. Good on ya! And congrats on your achievements!
Chris

Buckmeister
12-19-2013, 10:47 AM
Well done. Good work on the bull. That certainly is a unique muley, I've heard of ones like that before but have yet to see one.

358mag
12-19-2013, 10:48 AM
Say what !!!!! Gut pile hunters lurking on HBC how can that be ............
Sorry to hear about your hunt over in Region 4 but know the feeling well .:wink:

Getbent
12-19-2013, 12:15 PM
Love that Mulie...one of my old hunting partner's dad (who has shot plenty of Mulie bucks) was most proud of his 2 point with a 22" inside spread. the bases were like pop cans, he chased it for two years.
Awesome stuff Mark...

Stone Sheep Steve
12-19-2013, 12:18 PM
Say what !!!!! Gut pile hunters lurking on HBC how can that be ............
Sorry to hear about your hunt over in Region 4 but know the feeling well .:wink:

I hear ya skip!
I even had one guy on HBC track down the spot where I shot my wolf this year! Can you believe that???!!!:wink: .....................:-D

That's a great year mark!!! Congrats!
Thanks for posting up!

SSS

Blainer
12-19-2013, 01:20 PM
Thank you
We missed ya!

pnbrock
12-19-2013, 01:55 PM
Dont give me that shit Jeff you never saw me. Sneaky sneaky!!!!

dana
12-19-2013, 04:59 PM
Gut plie hunters on HBC??? How can this be???

hunter1993ap
12-19-2013, 05:45 PM
I hear ya skip!
I even had one guy on HBC track down the spot where I shot my wolf this year! Can you believe that???!!!:wink: .....................:-D

Thanks for posting up!

SSS

might be because its a fairly recognizable spot. now I'm not positive ive been there but I'm pretty sure I was a couple years ago...

got to agree with everything said about gutpile chasers, that's why I don't post anything. congrats on a good year.

markt308
12-19-2013, 05:55 PM
ANYWAYYYS....nice thread mark, thanks for posting your story for all of us to enjoy, thus giving me further motivation to continue visiting this fine site in the future in hopes of seeing more threads of this lovely nature.

358mag
12-19-2013, 06:02 PM
I hear ya skip!

Thanks for posting up!

SSS

So that GPS sensor works well that they place on your Tracker .........:mrgreen::mrgreen:

Bc Deer Hunter
12-19-2013, 06:10 PM
Amazing pics and season Mark! I would personally like to thank you for posting these. An incredibly busy work sched this past year meant no big game opportunities for me. Did make the time to take my son out for his first jr hunt and he got a really nice hare. It is so nice to see others success and hear the stories of their hunts when you can't make it out yourself, WITHOUT A BUNCH OF GUYS PILING ON ABOUT "where were you", "your ethics don't match mine", "we only shoot ____, so how could you shoot that?!?!" and so on....I personally appreciate the photos an stories. Good on ya! And congrats on your achievements!
Chris
Give me a break you guys, im not chasing anybody's ''gutpile''.. I congratulated him on a great season and buck that I figured I had seen before.. If any of you have a problem with my post feel free to pm me, because I would rather keep this off marks thread, his posts are always a pleasure to read, and trust me I meant no harm!

Brambles
12-19-2013, 06:20 PM
I dont think anyone was referring to you sport!!

frenchbar
12-19-2013, 06:28 PM
I dont think anyone was referring to you sport!!

guilty conscience...

Rattler
12-19-2013, 07:22 PM
Nice work Mark! Congrats on your largest bull to date.

Sitkaspruce
12-19-2013, 09:02 PM
Awesome Mark!!! Thanks for posting up your season.

One thing is missing....the dog??? Hope everthing is Ok with him.

Cheers

SS

ncurrie
12-19-2013, 09:49 PM
Awesome year you have had! Thanks for sharing:)

albravo2
12-19-2013, 10:07 PM
Very inspirational. Great season. Well done!

JDR
12-19-2013, 10:46 PM
Congratulations on another successful season, Mark. Some nice looking critters there!

BCrams
12-19-2013, 11:07 PM
Great season Mark! Always good reading about your hunting season!

bruin
12-20-2013, 12:25 AM
Great season Mark. Thanks for the post.

Jelvis
12-20-2013, 12:39 AM
Mark your one of the best hunters around these parts year after year and thanks for sharing your experience with us.
Jel .. keep the adventure alive

Bighorn hunter
12-20-2013, 07:25 AM
Awesome stuff:). Thanks for taking the time to share

bh

mark
12-20-2013, 08:07 AM
Thanks to all
bc deer hunter and i have swapped some intel, seems very possible that he saw my big forky, although it would of done some traveling to where i got it.
No worries Sitka, hershy is alive and well, just wasnt along on any of the sucess days.

Wayne, good guess from photos, I havnt scored my bull, but it does have 50" mains and good mass, I guess about 300" as well.

BiG Boar
12-20-2013, 06:15 PM
Great season Mark! I still want to know the official score of the biggest 2 point ever taken? Nice elk and thanks for posting up.

mark
12-20-2013, 07:14 PM
Great season Mark! I still want to know the official score of the biggest 2 point ever taken? Nice elk and thanks for posting up.

Ha, ha, scoring a 2 point.....havnt touched a tape to him, and its at the taxi for a euro job, will let ya know just for fun later.

The Pm's keep coming.... turns out another HBC'er saw my buck near Princeton!!!
No wonder he had no fat on him. lol

Sitkaspruce
12-20-2013, 07:30 PM
I saw him in the Peace in August, he was pushing a 4pt around before he left. Have not seen him since.....now I know why!!!!:mrgreen::wink:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v489/Sitkaspruce/2013%20Game%20Camera/000958_PICT0958_zps556e4149.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/Sitkaspruce/media/2013%20Game%20Camera/000958_PICT0958_zps556e4149.jpg.html)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v489/Sitkaspruce/2013%20Game%20Camera/000917_PICT0917_zps93f0a242.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/Sitkaspruce/media/2013%20Game%20Camera/000917_PICT0917_zps93f0a242.jpg.html)

Cheers

SS

mark
12-20-2013, 08:16 PM
wow, he even grew some eye guards on his walk south

Stone Sheep Steve
12-21-2013, 05:16 PM
might be because its a fairly recognizable spot. now I'm not positive ive been there but I'm pretty sure I was a couple years ago...

got to agree with everything said about gutpile chasers, that's why I don't post anything. congrats on a good year.

Haha...was never worried about it.
It was an inside joke with the OP.

SSS