PDA

View Full Version : Cougar tracks

bcd
12-18-2013, 07:52 PM
I found these tracks yesterday. I think they are cougar based on the shape, size (3-4.5" wide) and lack of claw marks. Hoping you guys can help me confirm. They crossed my path from the previous day and turned to follow it for a ways. Nothing like seeing paw prints on top of your boot prints to raise the hair on your neck. And today I was passing through that area in the dark, good times :mrgreen:

http://i1249.photobucket.com/albums/hh514/bc_d/IMG_20131218_121158_zpsb56642dd.jpg

http://i1249.photobucket.com/albums/hh514/bc_d/IMG_20131218_121920_zps5fff2e7a.jpg

This photo is from last year, and the shape looks very similar.

http://i1249.photobucket.com/albums/hh514/bc_d/Hunting/DSC05233_zps129f5318.jpg

adriaticum
12-18-2013, 07:54 PM
I believe it is cougar.
Hey I would love to help the hair on your neck if you just PM me where this happened :mrgreen:

BlacktailStalker
12-18-2013, 07:55 PM
Yep sure is. Cats see you all the time, don't worry about it. Curious creatures.
Easiest. simplest way to tell diff from a cat to a canine is the canines always double track whereas the cats single track. If you want to be a bit more technical, look real close you'll see there are 3 lobes on the heel pad of the cat and you won't see that on a canine. At a walk cats make cookie cutter tracks (clean imprints in the snow) but some real big toms are lazy and will show a bit of a skiff behind it sometimes. Dogs most always break the snow before putting their foot down.
Cats will show claws at times.
When in doubt follow it til it walks under a tree and you can i.d a cleaner track.
If you want to be a real dork like me you can carry a mini tape and measure stride and heel pad measurements and know what you're looking at (size and sex) before even seeing it.

bcd
12-18-2013, 09:54 PM
I believe it is cougar.
Hey I would love to help the hair on your neck if you just PM me where this happened :mrgreen:

4-18, how bad do you want to cut that tag lol.

Yep sure is. Cats see you all the time, don't worry about it. Curious creatures.
Easiest. simplest way to tell diff from a cat to a canine is the canines always double track whereas the cats single track. If you want to be a bit more technical, look real close you'll see there are 3 lobes on the heel pad of the cat and you won't see that on a canine. At a walk cats make cookie cutter tracks (clean imprints in the snow) but some real big toms are lazy and will show a bit of a skiff behind it sometimes. Dogs most always break the snow before putting their foot down.
Cats will show claws at times.
When in doubt follow it til it walks under a tree and you can i.d a cleaner track.
If you want to be a real dork like me you can carry a mini tape and measure stride and heel pad measurements and know what you're looking at (size and sex) before even seeing it.

Cool, thanks. Yeah this was single track and I was able to see 3 lobes on one of the prints. When you're measuring stride, which gap do you choose? This one varied between 2-4' (by eye).