PDA

View Full Version : Deer Hunting & Moon Phases

italhunter
12-18-2013, 02:29 PM
I saw this interesting DVD on moon phases and how deer behavior is affected by it. The hunters on this video swear by hunting deer according to the phases of the moon. They were promoting a moon phase calendar made for hunters. You turn the calendar to certain dates you want to hunt, and according to the moon phase on those dates it tells you what time of day the deer are most active.

It was really interesting. I always knew there was a relationship between deer activity and moon phase but not to the extent portrayed in the video. I always thought it came more into play during the rut.

My hunts are planned entirely on when I get vacation time, or when I can get away.
Does anyone here plan their hunts according to the moon? Or do you even think it's important enough to factor into your plans?

DANOSON
12-18-2013, 02:36 PM
where did you see the DVD is it avilable here so we all can see and make a judgment from there

Rich_D
12-18-2013, 03:03 PM
Solunar tables tell you that exact information. Many apps for phones out there. I use "Time2hunt" for Android but have yet to harvest an animal during their projected "Major or Minor" times.

Most GPS's have a Hunt/Fish calendar built in as well.

Of the 5 animals that I have harvested so far, 4 were taken between 10am and Noon. The one exception was a last light WT doe on a friends hay field.

Sofa King
12-18-2013, 03:14 PM
this shit's been around forever.
gps' have it built in to them.

I've never paid much attention to it for hunting, but I've found for fishing it was deadly accurate.
like richd, most my deer have all been taken in the middle of the day.
this year's was my first deer I've taken at last light.

Wentrot
12-18-2013, 03:35 PM
I can echo the above statement.I always use the charts while fishing in the interior and it is crazy accurate.

BDN9
12-18-2013, 04:37 PM
I'm not sure what I think of it for hunting but if you want to try it here is a link to a moon calendar.

http://www.outdoorlife.com/weather/moon

tomahawk
12-18-2013, 04:38 PM
I have been casually following Solunar tables for decades for both fish and game. As others have noted they are very good for accuracy when it comes to fish activity but i find them hit and miss with game activity. If you stop and think about what is involved in every wild animals daily life, it boils down to 3 basic events... 1) searching for and eating food, 2) rest (to digest the food) and 3) staying safe from danger. Other then rut activity thats about it, so everyday they do there share of each of those things, you just need to determine when they are going to do them, but you can rest assured they will do them each day at some time.

Sofa King
12-18-2013, 04:41 PM
on the fishing side, I've kinda assumed it's not just the moon's brightness affecting it, but also the gravitational pull.
the moon affects the waters more than anything else.
I've always thought of it as more an ocean thing, but I suppose it affects the interior waters as well somehow.

Wentrot
12-18-2013, 05:10 PM
My father in law has all sorts of theories on it.I always figured he was off his rocker but I have since came to realize the ******* spoke the truth.Would be nice to know the facts behind it all.Ah well, it works and that's what matters.

BearSupreme
12-18-2013, 06:59 PM
The moon effects people as well. There are more baby's born and more murders on full moon dates than any other day in the month. A lot of people can tell when its a full moon because people start acting differently, im sure it would effect animals as well..

Chopper
12-18-2013, 07:01 PM
my hunts revolve completely around lunar phases

davet
12-18-2013, 07:43 PM
My hunts revolve around whenever i can get out to hunt and where the deer are

bigredchev
12-18-2013, 09:11 PM
full moon means good visibility, ive noticed yote activity is through the roof on these nights.

id assume more animals move during a full moon.

hunter1947
12-19-2013, 04:51 AM
I am a big believer on the moon phase many of times there are animals moving without the moon phase then when there is a moon phase there no where to be found,,, moon phase effects humans as well ..

Sofa King
12-19-2013, 10:10 AM
The moon effects people as well. There are more baby's born and more murders on full moon dates than any other day in the month. A lot of people can tell when its a full moon because people start acting differently, im sure it would effect animals as well..

interesting.
I guess that extra gravitational pull helps the mother's labour along.

italhunter
12-19-2013, 04:33 PM
where did you see the DVD is it avilable here so we all can see and make a judgment from there

Bought it at Wal-Mart for $3. Its called Moonbeams I, II, and III: Timing is everything.

BCKyle
12-20-2013, 02:04 AM
The moon usually revolves around me while I'm hunting...

hunter1947
12-20-2013, 04:46 AM
I am a big believer on the moon phase many of times there are animals moving without the moon phase then when there is a moon phase there no where to be found,,, moon phase effects humans as well ..

I changed my wording I really scr*d up on my post now its fixed ,,guess I did not have enough coffee yesterday morning or I had a seniors moment ,,LOL..

Hunterguy
12-20-2013, 12:02 PM
When you can hang your rifle on the moon that is the time to hunt deer.

Black Lab
12-23-2013, 01:09 AM
I sort of followed moon cycles a few years ago. But found them unreliable. I have had some of my best fishing day's on poor times and vise verses. I've never kept track of hunting results. All animals eat and rest. I know the full moon does make off center people a little more off center though. I do what I like, when I can. :twisted:

ElectricDyck
12-23-2013, 06:34 AM
My older sister worked in the sych ward and said the patients were much more active on a full moon. I've loosley planeed hunts around the gps's excellent times, I guess it works ok, I think I've seen more animal movement during these times. I've also killed a few animals on the gps's poor days, like has been said, the animals still have to move and there are more factors that come into play including weather.