PDA

View Full Version : Classroom Project - looking for an old woodburning stove...

Black Bird
12-18-2013, 12:57 PM
Hey there,

I posted a couple of months ago looking for hides for a Grade 7 classroom project (turning deerskin into buckskin). The short of it is that I ended up with 16 deer, 1 goat, 1 moose (but not the whole thing) and a part of a cow hide! THANKS!!!

My students have been making good progress, and we are close to the part where we need to smoke the hide. Once smoked, the hide will not go back to a rawhide state when wet. Last year, I did the smoking at my cabin, but I am not going back there this year for some time.

So, I am reaching out to the HBC community to see if there is anyone in the lower mainland who might have a crappy, rusty old wood burning stove that they don't want any more. What I would do with the stove is to attach the smoke stack in such a way as to allow for the smoke to cool as it travels along before inundating the hide to chemically change the way in which the skin fibers bond. The stove can be on death's door as it is not going to be used to heat anything and I will be doing this outside. I just thought if there is anyone here who has an old wood burning stove that is just taking up space, I would gladly take it off your hands and flip you a flat of beer for your troubles.

If not - no worries, I will figure something out!

Cheers,
BB

chola
12-18-2013, 03:42 PM
why not just make one out an old barrel or something....I am sure some members here would be willing to fabricate something for ya

Black Bird
12-18-2013, 08:37 PM
Hi chola,

Here is what I built at my cabin. It worked, but I would like to have something that is a bit more permanent as I plan on doing this for a number of years.

http://i1364.photobucket.com/albums/r723/jcamp1066/ScreenShot2013-12-18at55303PM_zps40556cd7.png (http://s1364.photobucket.com/user/jcamp1066/media/ScreenShot2013-12-18at55303PM_zps40556cd7.png.html)

Cheers,
BB

scott h
12-19-2013, 08:15 PM
I've got one in North Van. It's all yours