PDA

View Full Version : Wow....

RiverOtter
12-17-2013, 08:26 PM
Just seen a "perfect" ass shot on BOTW. They were pretty pumped about it though, as the bullet obviously clipped the spine. What a bunch of ass hats........

BlacktailStalker
12-17-2013, 08:29 PM
Yeah I dont like these long range outfits, too many people think there is no practice or thought involved. Shooting long ranges should be done by people who just like that stuff not because the outfit they bought tells them they can. Seems to be the new cool thing sticking a 10 year old kid behind an 800 yard shot.
Ethics are going right out the window.

Ozone
12-17-2013, 08:31 PM
Texas heart shot?

RiverOtter
12-17-2013, 08:41 PM
Texas heart shot?
Might as well have been; Broadside shot to the high front of the ham.

gerrygoat
12-17-2013, 08:47 PM
Careful, all those long range experts might get upset with you for making fun of them :) Whatever happened to stalking an animal, it's much more fun than attempting to snipe them at insane ranges.

RiverOtter
12-17-2013, 08:48 PM
Yeah I dont like these long range outfits, too many people think there is no practice or thought involved. Shooting long ranges should be done by people who just like that stuff not because the outfit they bought tells them they can. Seems to be the new cool thing sticking a 10 year old kid behind an 800 yard shot.
Ethics are going right out the window.

Shot was 525yards and it was the girls first deer. Her sister was next up and made what appeared to be a gut shot, as the deer humped up and hobbled off, but the next clip they were sitting beside a dead deer and proclaiming a "perfect" heart shot......

Got nothing against longer shots, but the shooter damn well better be competent at the distances the shooting is taking place and know when to pass up bad shots......

monasheemountainman
12-17-2013, 08:50 PM
i shot a grouse on the run at 40 yards with my 22, perfect head shot.

Ozone
12-17-2013, 08:59 PM
i shot a grouse on the run at 40 yards with my 22, perfect head shot.
How fast were you running?

BimmerBob
12-17-2013, 09:11 PM
How fast were you running?

Just a guess: It was a BC Attack Grouse so he was running as fast as he could away from it but it was closing on him quickly... ;)

M.Dean
12-17-2013, 09:15 PM
It's one thing to take a animal at a longer than average distances, but these people are making a mockery out of Hunting! How much did these guys pay to have there Kid's shoot a Deer, which I very likely doubt will ever grace there dinner plates??? Why not simply stick with shooting paper targets??? Because, this way the bloody Kid get's his, or her picture with a gut shot dead Deer!!! And, now, Dad can go brag to "The Boy's" " that his Kids a real live Sniper at 10 years old!!! Crap like this sure gives the Anti Hunting crowd more Ammo with which to shoot real Hunters with!

warnniklz
12-17-2013, 09:22 PM
Rattle up a tin can,
Daddy shot a bear,
Shot him up the poop chute,
And never touched a hair!

BlacktailStalker
12-17-2013, 09:48 PM
Shot was 525yards and it was the girls first deer. Her sister was next up and made what appeared to be a gut shot, as the deer humped up and hobbled off, but the next clip they were sitting beside a dead deer and proclaiming a "perfect" heart shot......

Got nothing against longer shots, but the shooter damn well better be competent at the distances the shooting is taking place and know when to pass up bad shots......

I never saw it. Don't get me wrong I reload and shoot long distances, mostly target, but the farthest I have shot an animal was 450yards and that was before I had a turret so I feel I learned the right way before going to the 'next level' mind you I practice at 650yds on rocks all day long with my 7mm08 and 300wsm and feel as comfortable with that now as I did at 200 yards for the last ten years. But it took time.
If you don't understand the physics and variables involved I think one is further ahead understanding it before attempting it on game.

gerrygoat
12-17-2013, 10:01 PM
Rattle up a tin can,
Daddy shot a bear,
Shot him up the poop chute,
And never touched a hair!

I guess we can add poetry to you many talents :)

hunter1993ap
12-17-2013, 10:04 PM
I don't agree with much on the tv where, the the so called professional, hunters babble on about. definitely don't watch that channel as much as the old time hunting shows. long range shots can be done but to make a show solely on long range hunting?? I would much rather watch a show where guys go hunting to get animals not try and find the longest distance they can shoot. I wonder how many critters run off with a bullet in them that are never recovered? this would be drawer footage I guess...

leadpillproductions
12-17-2013, 10:32 PM
Ive shot a few animals at long distances , but I sure and hell wouldn't let my 11 year son shoot one at that ranges. His first bear I limited him to 150 yrds so far

eastkoothunter
12-17-2013, 11:12 PM
Half the battle/fun of hunting is being able to get within appropriate range of the animal. BOTW is the worst program on WildTV for unethical shots. There should be a line drawn for who is shooting, and to what distance they are allowed to shoot, especially before being aired on television.

boxhitch
12-17-2013, 11:59 PM
BOTW , Gunwerks , Huskemaw , G7 br2 rangefindres , Berger vld , its all a new industry , call it hunting or shooting.
What they air on tv for long range 'unethical' shooting is certainly no worse than what goes on in the average hunting trip it seems.
The number of wounding shots and complete misses I have seen or heard of in the last few years really gives a poor picture of too many hunters.
It seems an anomaly on HBC how many kills are one shot bang flops , certainly not equal to real life in my experience.

chromehunter
12-18-2013, 12:21 AM
What I don't get is at 800 yards the guy is happy with just hitting a 12 inch steel plate.. No concern on groups or anything? Doesn't seem right?

boxhitch
12-18-2013, 12:24 AM
sub - 12 " group at 800 sounds pretty good , if they are all hits.

Whonnock Boy
12-18-2013, 12:25 AM
I wonder what they do when they see an animal that is only 200 yards away? Spook it in the hopes that is presents a 600 yard shot?

boxhitch
12-18-2013, 12:28 AM
Crap like this sure gives the Anti Hunting crowd more Ammo with which to shoot real Hunters with!Spoken like a true HBC purist. sheesh

chromehunter
12-18-2013, 12:28 AM
What happens when the big 200 class Muley runs across the road into thick timber when the turret is set at 500 yards? Lol

chromehunter
12-18-2013, 12:29 AM
My fav part I laughed at was that when they were hunting there was about 7 people and a dog wondering around....

604redneck
12-18-2013, 01:11 AM
Why is this forum full of so many clowns? Most of you are quick to defend people doing something legal because its something you also do but if its not what you do everyone jumps on them. Just shut the **** up! It's ****ing legal to shoot 800 yards at an animal its personal ethics that come into play after that and judging by all the people complaining about how few animals there are out there you probably get buck fever so bad it turns into the wild west in your hunting grounds and you are letting the lead fly at anything legal regardless to if you have a perfect broadside shot. To the op your right its not a good idea to get excited about shooting an animal and making a shot that doesnt instantly kill it.

gerrygoat
12-18-2013, 07:19 AM
Just get closer it's not that hard. Just because something is technically legal doesn't mean it is the right thing to do. The guys we saw that took 17 shots at a moose a couple of years ago were legal although the fact they didn't check to see if they hit it wasn't legal.

showtime
12-18-2013, 07:59 AM
Isn't our sponsor a proponent for long range shooting and sells long range set ups so we can all shoot 1000 yards "right out of the box"?

Rackem
12-18-2013, 08:14 AM
Personally, due to my visual limitations, I have never shot an animal more than 100 yards away. Heck I doubt I could see an animal at 500 yards in the first place.

If someone is confident in their understanding of ballistics, wind etc, and they have practiced consistently at long range and they know the gun has enough punch at the distance they are shooting...ok fine. But for people to just think that is an ok thing to do off the cuff....I don't like to see injured or gut shot animals. One of the reasons I hunt is because I feel it is a less cruel option than supermarket meat.

12-18-2013, 08:58 AM
. BOTW is the worst program on WildTV for unethical shots. .

Thats the truth. I have seen quite a few on that show... They regulairily take rookies out and have them shoot animals at huge distance. I stopped watching that one.
Not that i aggree or dissagree with long range killing but,, Long Range Presuit is a way better show. Their segments on shooting distance are great. If you dont like long range killing at least that show is mostly on long range shooting.

12-18-2013, 09:01 AM
I know I will get flamed, but I really don't think the average hunter has any business shooting at animals over 500 yards. Hell, anything over 300 yards, under field conditions will likely be a challenging shot for most. My impression of many hunters is that they think they are much better shots than they actually are.

I've seen a couple of the long-range hunting shows, and on one episode they were shooting at an elk at about 700 yards. The first shot missed cleanly, so some adjustments were made, and the second shot dropped it. The shooters were elated and spoke with reverence about their long-range set-up. IMO, that first shot, rather than be a clean miss, could have just as easily been a gut shot, or leg hit, or some other crappy hit.

KodiakHntr
12-18-2013, 10:11 AM
I guess I have to ask (just to play devil's advocate), how many guys here have missed their first poke at an animal, then immediately shot again and smacked him? How many have missed their first poke at 150 yards, and then went "huh, better not shoot again."

That asked, I completely agree with 325 in that the vast majority of hunters (not necessarily shooters though, as there is a difference) shouldn't be shooting at anything past 300 yards under field conditions. And that pretty much ALL hunters I've encountered over the years thought they were MUCH better shots than they were. (Although, again, not the same with shooters. Guys who are shooters generally have a much better understanding of their capabilities, or lack thereof as the case may be.)

BlacktailStalker
12-18-2013, 10:18 AM
Another thing to consider is what is hidden between you and your dead animal at the end of a long shot.
We could have shot two goats on LEH this year but wouldn't have been able to retrieve them because of a 1000' deep ravine half way between us. 7/800-1000 yards can hide a LOT of stuff.

KodiakHntr
12-18-2013, 10:20 AM
That's true. I've passed shots on animals at under 250 yards due to not being able to get to them....

BlacktailStalker
12-18-2013, 10:32 AM
That's true. I've passed shots on animals at under 250 yards due to not being able to get to them....

A couple years in to cat hunting, I passed on a big tom nobody could catch (the old timers chased him 4 times but he always 'got away') because he would have fell in a 6' wide ravine at least 50-60' deep.... and that was only at 20 yards lol. I wanted that cat bad !
Pretty cool tree, fir growing directly out of the bank and angled like that, perfectly alive and healthy. It was everything we could do to stand on that steep bank.

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f314/BlacktailStalker/Dec15046.jpg (http://s50.photobucket.com/user/BlacktailStalker/media/Dec15046.jpg.html)

KodiakHntr
12-18-2013, 10:58 AM
Great pic and illustration of possibilities and scenario's that have to be taken into account before the trigger is tripped.

12-18-2013, 11:07 AM
You should pack a supersized cat toy in your pack Andy,,,, you coulda tossed it out there and lured him closer!

Great pic, thats a funky tree He's on.

sawmill
12-18-2013, 11:59 AM
I passed on the BIG whitie buck I`v been chasing for 2 years.He finally made a mistake this fall,stayed out a little too long.Trouble was he was sky lined and there are houses a mile or so behind him.Solid rest,200 yards....I waited for damn near ever for him to drop down but he buggered off over the hill at a good clip.The wife watched the whole thing and wanted to know why I did not take him,I explained and she said well they do it on those hunting shows all the time.True enough.Lots of things on those shows I don`t like.But I don`t do them.

jrjonesy
12-18-2013, 12:39 PM
I caught the end portion of that BOTW episode while channel surfing. It was a shot on an Antelope and I was pretty disappointed to see their excited reaction when it was obvious he had shot in the rump.

Let me say I don't really care for the show, or have any interest in long range hunting..... I'll also say that a deer can duck my arrow at 30 yards just as easily as an animal can take 2 steps while a bullet is in the air from 750 yards. I don't know if that's here nor there.

I will add though that I watched the end of the show where the guy that made the shot (host) came on and admonished himself for taking a bad shot, rushing it, and shooting when he knew he shouldn't have. He admitted to hitting it in the hind quarters and said he had failed in what he strives to do. I'm not saying this makes it anymore right, but it is something that has failed to be mentioned here.

oscar makonka
12-18-2013, 08:32 PM
I don't have a problem with long range shooting by folks who know what they are doing. What I take exception to is the show which is nothing but a promotional infomercial trying to convince your average dumbphuck hunter that all you have to do is buy our product and you can do it too. After all if an 11 year old girl who knows little if anything about shooting or hunting can do it then it's a snap for anyone else. They are preying on the ignorance of uninformed hunters, buy our stuff, don't worry about the fluff, your good to go. All they care about is selling their merchandise.

RiverOtter
12-18-2013, 08:37 PM
As I've already made clear, I'm not opposed to long range hunting for those with the gear, capabilities and enough brains to pass on a low odds shot. I'm also aware that there are a lot of hunters who couldn't make a clean kill at 100 yards to save their life.

Setting up a young girl(14 or 15 tops) at 525 yards for her first deer, was irresponsible to say the least. But to then air the "results" on television and put the event in a positive light, that really pissed me off as a hunter.......