PDA

View Full Version : My first snowshoe hare

bcd
12-16-2013, 09:32 PM
I've been fixing up an old Cooey .22 and today took it out for its first hunt after some upgrades. This was also my first hunt for snowshoe hares. I was looking forward to getting behind the trigger again and giving the legs a workout as I haven't been hunting in 2 months.

I'd done a bit of research on them to know what habitat to look for, but only having seen one or two in my life and occasional tracks, I didn't have high hopes. I hiked up the mountain for a few hours, zigzagging my way past every promising clump of saplings or brush with only an occasional old hare track - but not seeing any of the recent, multiple tracks I was after. Lots of elk and deer tracks though.

The trees thinned and I broke out into an older clear cut, with promising clusters of small evergreens. But after checking out several, and not seeing any tracks at all, I was ready to turn back. There was one last interesting stand of small trees, denser than the rest. I decided to have a look since I was already all the way up here. Trying to ignore my burning quads, I continued post-holing through the snow, at times thigh deep. Note to self, bring snowshoes next time.

http://i1249.photobucket.com/albums/hh514/bc_d/IMG_20131216_131803_zps907d3399.jpg

And then I saw the tracks, everywhere! All made since the last snow, so within the past few days. I tried to be as quiet as one can stumbling through deep snow, and slowly circled the trees, pausing frequently to crouch down and look under the branches. Nothing. So I set a few snares and began moving to set some more on the other side, when I thought to have one last look around. Peering into the tree wells, suddenly a set of beady eyes jumped out at me.

I did a double take, having given up setting eyes on one of these white ghosts by now. The hare watched me patiently as I unslung my rifle and tried to line up the shot. It was possibly the most awkward shooting position ever, squatting and twisted hard right freehand, but I didn't want to lose the shot by taking too long or making too much noise. Thankfully it was a close shot, and at 20' I couldn't miss. Took it with a clean headshot, and after a few kicks my first hare was down!

http://i1249.photobucket.com/albums/hh514/bc_d/IMG_20131216_131739_zpsd572bf15.jpg

I took a few minutes to take some pictures and admire my quarry, then set a few more snares and had another good look around. No more appeared, probably well hidden by now after all the commotion, so I started back. Half walking, half sliding I made my way down hill, buoyed by the meat now strapped to my pack. It was a lot of work for a little meat, but I had a great day! And hopefully there will be some more tomorrow.

BCBear
12-16-2013, 09:40 PM
Nice work, love the snowshoe reminds me of the Alberta days. Cooey looks nice and thick too

adriaticum
12-16-2013, 11:37 PM
Good work. I have yet to see a bunny. Seen only tracks so far.

Mathil
12-22-2013, 11:19 AM
I saw a ton of tracks in the north Murray lake FSR area, in the woods along the power line cut. Never saw a bunny though... I'm thinkin of picking up a 10/22 for bunnies and birds.

I also saw a loooooong necked grouse, I guess it would have been a dusky? He was holed up in a conifer stand that had totally sheltered the ground from the snow.

Sako 75
12-27-2013, 06:48 PM
I saw a ton of tracks in the north Murray lake FSR area, in the woods along the power line cut. Never saw a bunny though... I'm thinkin of picking up a 10/22 for bunnies and birds.

I also saw a loooooong necked grouse, I guess it would have been a dusky? He was holed up in a conifer stand that had totally sheltered the ground from the snow.

Go early in morning around sunrise or late evening. You see them.