PDA

View Full Version : Stove pipe

Coyote
12-16-2013, 04:13 PM
Up tp now I use a couple of adjustable elbows to get the stovepipe from the stove out of the tent. The first one gets the pipe out of the tent at about a 30 - 45 degree angle. The second gets the pipe vertical.

Has anyone just run the pipe out of the tent on an angle and dispensed with the second elbow? How did it work?

Just trying to cut down on the amount of crap I have to take with me.

greybark
12-16-2013, 04:34 PM
Hey Coyote , better to use solid elbows as creasote will leak through the adjustable joints . The best system for me was having the horizontal pipe from inside the tent to the outside slightly angled down and a 3/8 in hole in the bottom of the outside angle to allow creasote to run out and fall in to a hole in the ground to prevent splash on the tent . I ended up with a one piece 6 in pipe that was able to free stand from the collar on the stove .
Creasote really becomes a problem no matter what wood you burn when dampering down your air tight stove all night with cold weather . One leak and that smell is in your hair , clothing everything .
I tried piping it with plastic pipe away from the tent only to find the 2 in pipe frozen LOL.
Cheers....

ryanb
12-16-2013, 05:28 PM
Hate elbows. That's why is better to have your stove jack in the roof. Easy enough to sew it up and put a new Jack in the roof.

Mtn Man
12-16-2013, 08:16 PM
problem with it through the roof though is if you get freezing rain slash snow its near impossible to pack your tent up.we go through the side wall and tarp the roof, stainless coil stove pipe, flexes the way you need no joints, creosote runs back into the stove and burns up.

tomahawk
12-16-2013, 08:33 PM
Hate elbows. That's why is better to have your stove jack in the roof. Easy enough to sew it up and put a new Jack in the roof.

I agree, i have 6 lengths of pipe and they store and travel inside the stove and go straight out the roof. I cut the hole in the tent about 30 yrs ago and my wife sewed it inplace, its in need of replacement but still doing the job somewhat. never had an issue with any freezing rain/slush or snow like Mtn Man talks about and we've been in it all and at 30 below and up to 2 ft of snow.

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj230/tomahawktom/SAM_2604_zps3cdabc74.jpg (http://s273.photobucket.com/user/tomahawktom/media/SAM_2604_zps3cdabc74.jpg.html)

BlacktailStalker
12-16-2013, 08:36 PM
problem with it through the roof though is if you get freezing rain slash snow its near impossible to pack your tent up.we go through the side wall and tarp the roof, stainless coil stove pipe, flexes the way you need no joints, creosote runs back into the stove and burns up.

I have my chimney through the roof and it is tarped as well. I have a hole cut in my tarp and a piece of 2'x2' tin flashing with a hole cut in it to keep the tarp from rising up and down with the wind and contacting the chimney. Works well.

Iltasyuko
12-16-2013, 08:45 PM

Is there a way to have a damper in the flue when using the coil stuff?

browningboy
12-16-2013, 11:11 PM
There's nothing wrong with elbows as long as you have slope, standard C venting utilizes and code recognizes them at 26 ga and heavier, just stick it out the side of your tent and let it rip, if it's windy then stick one at the termination however it's easier to just stick a tee there.

Pioneerman
12-16-2013, 11:19 PM
I have always wondered if after going 90 through wall instead of 90 up putting a T on instead so have the T basically on it's side hole up and hole down. Has this been tried before it seems to me there light be a good air flow pulling smoke and heat up and let creosote go straight out the bottom. Or is this just expecting too much ?

takla1
12-16-2013, 11:47 PM
strictly speaking as a bricklayer of 38 yrs the straighter the exhaust vent virticle the better the draw.,dry wood and on an average 2 week hunting trip you will not accumulate any measureable amount of creosote in the pipeing.,I burn 2 fireplaces at home 7 months of the yr and only get an average 1/4 inch lineing of creosote a season .When you start your fire in the morning reach inside the firebox with a rolled up newspaper burning at the entrance into the vent and preheat it to create the draft,this will reduce smokeing on lightup.Only cut dead standing trees for wood in the bush as they will be bone dry,anything laying on the ground will be wet no mater how dry it looks.

albee
12-16-2013, 11:57 PM
Issue we have had is with spark arrestor's from montana canvas is they clog up with pipe through the roof. We solved that with making our own spark arrestor on the top of the pipe. montana spark arrestors lasted 3 days then clogged up..

takla1
12-17-2013, 12:11 AM
why do you need a spark arrester?

hunter1947
12-17-2013, 05:32 AM
I use a 90 bend two feet up from the stove top then out 5 feet another 90 to go up add 3 footers vertical up I have a slight upgrade from the stove to where the pip goes out side to the 90 works great I drill a 7/6 hole on the bottom of the 90 outside where the pip goes from vertical to horizontal to allow the creosote to drain out never use a spark arrester....

kentucky
12-17-2013, 12:30 PM
Thru the roof is the way to go . Less pipe, good draft, easy assembly. In 35 yrs. never had a trouble with slush or freezing. Any creosote flows back into stove. We carry an extended wire brush to clean inside the pipes. The 5 pipes are carried inside the stove and water tank. In extreme hot weather we have to use a spark arrester, but soon learned not to burn any garbage etc. as the arrester would clog up.

J_T
12-17-2013, 02:05 PM
Coyote.

Early season I come up 20 inches vertical off the stove and then straight back at a 45 deg angle until well clear of the tent and above the peak.
Late season my pipe is welded tight, up 36 inches (to a total of 60 inches), 90 degree angle out (40 inches), 90 deg angle (this bend has a hole on the bottom to drain the creosote) to take it vertical and up.

If anyone is using a spark arrestor throw it away.

aggiehunter
12-17-2013, 02:14 PM
one of the reasons that going thru the roof works well is that you are getting a better draft for the stove when the pipe is above the peak...we make sure that our stove pipe that comes out the back wall extends high enough over the peak of the roof...just like the requirement for a home install..but not quite.

trebreklaw
12-17-2013, 08:10 PM
Thru the roof near center of tent works great. Sleep 4 or 5 in14x12 and all get even heat