PDA

View Full Version : 6 month wait for RPAL

Boner
12-16-2013, 01:26 PM
I've been waiting six months for my new RPAL to show up in the mail.
I phoned 2 months ago and they said it was at the BC CFO office and to sit tight and that they're on it.
I phoned today and got the same story, so I told them that's what they said 2 months ago, so they transferred me to the BC CFO office.

So after waiting on hold for 35 minutes, the BC CFO office told me that all I needed to do was email or fax my current gun club membership to them and proof of identification for me so they can get my new RPAL processed-as well as a new LTATT. I told them I didn't renew my membership partly since I wasn't able to go to the range for the past four months that my RPAL has been expired, and that I'd get a new one today and email it right away.

So for anyone in the same boat, I'd suggest you do the same, hopefully I can save you a bit of grief. Because I had a feeling that they weren't going to get back to me on their own steam.

It would be nice to set up a guideline for applicants to help them along with these long waits, because for sure applicants phoning them takes up their valuable time when they could be stamping applications, but I'm thinking they want us to pester them based on what I've been reading.

kevan
12-16-2013, 04:18 PM
At one time we were told by the CFO's office that RPAL renewal would not be completed or considered without valid proof of current range membership, hence the long wait. My Wife sent her renewal in with proof and got it back in 2 1/2 weeks.
I sent mine in without, it took over 5 months and I had to jump through the same hoops as you.
And there is no mention of the requirement on the application because according to them its a given.
The whole procedure is a royal pain....

pieter
12-16-2013, 06:28 PM
My grandson just took the course in I believe Sept sent it away with a certified check and got his rpal in less then six weeks go figure

139grainsofhell
12-16-2013, 06:38 PM
Yep same thing happend to me all they had to do was Mabey give us a 30 second call and inform us instead of the hassle, they had no problem taking payment on the day they received my renewal but months later still no pal!!!

adamgarbett
12-16-2013, 06:47 PM
I just sent in my my RPAL the other day. I took the course almost two years ago but I was in no hurry pay to get the new card so I just waited for my non restricted to be up for renewal and then sent in the new application. I called and the lady said nothing about needing a membership, but I also don't own any restricted guns.......yet.

I figure it's just the renewals that have to wait and or have proof of membership cuz you fellas already own handguns and such.......

kevan
12-16-2013, 07:30 PM
[QUOTE=bucks&trucks;

I figure it's just the renewals that have to wait and or have proof of membership cuz you fellas already own handguns and such.......[/QUOTE]

You are probably right, it is annoying and is the most hassle I've had in the 51 years of owning handguns.

Boner
12-16-2013, 08:23 PM
I just sent in my my RPAL the other day. I took the course almost two years ago but I was in no hurry pay to get the new card so I just waited for my non restricted to be up for renewal and then sent in the new application. I called and the lady said nothing about needing a membership, but I also don't own any restricted guns.......yet.

I figure it's just the renewals that have to wait and or have proof of membership cuz you fellas already own handguns and such.......

Exactly what my experience has been. I didn't have to prove range membership until I bought a handgun. That was a 4 week wait to get the short term transfer...

kevan
12-16-2013, 08:36 PM
Exactly what my experience has been. I didn't have to prove range membership until I bought a handgun. That was a 4 week wait to get the short term transfer...

At one time there were only two justifiable reasons to own a restricted firearm according to the powers that be :
A... for purpose of collection at which time that person had to belong to a sanctioned collectors organization and be able to prove secure storage.
B... for purpose of target practice and must prove sanctioned range membership to do so.

IronNoggin
12-17-2013, 12:09 PM
... I figure it's just the renewals that have to wait and or have proof of membership cuz you fellas already own handguns and such.......

There is NOTHING in the current Regulations that require us to apply for the ATT at the same time (or precedent to) renewing our RPAL. This is simply something the BC CFO has come up with all on their own.

I went through the exact same BS as the original poster. When I eventually contacted the BC Orfice to find out what the hell was going on, they told me the exact same thing: We are waiting for your Club membership so we can issue your ATT at the same time. I was CHOKED! So, I informed the gal on the other end of the line that holding up my RPAL for that purpose was OUTSIDE the confines of current Firearm Regulation, and that their office should expect an eminent phone call from my Lawyer. Her response was: "We are doing this for your benefit". Whatever... :roll:

I did fax my membership information off the very next day, and again waited a couple more weeks before once again calling to see where things stood. A different gal informed me that the RPAL had been sent out THE SAME DATE AS MY PREVIOUS CALL :confused:

I followed up with asking of course about the ATT. I have No Record of that she said. WTF?? I informed her of the date and time of the Membership fax, she put me on hold for ten minutes, and apparently dug that up from somewhere. We'll get that out to you very soon was the reply then.

It took a couple days and the RPAL was in hand, SANS the ATT which took another 2 weeks to wander on down.

By their own actions (sending out the RPAL without the ATT) they basically admitted the Membership BS was of their own undertaking, and NOT required to renew the RPAL. Besides the sheer incompetence on their end, what Really BURNED me was the fact that they did NOT Bother to call and inform me of why they were holding back the application, and if I had not called myself to express concern, I would have likely still be waiting for the renewal! That and the fact that THEIR ACTIONS placed me in a position of Non-Compliance for a period of several months! :mad:

IMHO the Chief Firearm Offices are REDUNDANT, and should be abolished. Imposing Restrictions above and beyond what is called for by Law is LUDICROUS! Can't wait until those Bumbling Incompetents Get The Boot! :evil:

Nog

Bubba123
12-17-2013, 01:20 PM
It is one thing to hold up your LTATT for the proof of membership, but to hold up your RPAL renewal? That's pure unadulterated horseschyzer.

Rackem
12-17-2013, 01:55 PM
My RPAL is over 80 days now...not 45...I phone, I talked to the CFO, yes, it should be there any day now, check your mail...bs! I don't own any Restricted firearms, I do not have an ATT, so no need to prove range membership..what the heck is the hold up??

The first time I applied, they LOST the whole kit and caboodle... including my $80 money order....sucks.

Laurence_Erickson
12-22-2013, 08:58 PM
Mine Landed in Miramachi Aug. 29th. I know a fella that sent his in at the end of Oct.and received his back in the middle of nov.When I phoned I was told it was at the CFO's office .I got transferred to there and got told she was working on July applications ,when I mentioned his she told me she didn;t care and I would just have to wait .I received it on Dec 10th,finally.

Popove
12-23-2013, 04:13 PM
Ive been waiting since February 2013 for my PAL. No criminal record. No incorrect paper work. Waiting for approval from the chief. Hunted all year illegally..... Piece of piss

huff
12-23-2013, 06:51 PM
I've been waiting almost 6 months for my pal. that expired n July.. they sent a letter back 2 months ago saying i changed my name ... I put Michael James on the form instead of M'J.. I'd have to say they are the most in efficient Gov't entity there is....

coglark
12-23-2013, 08:44 PM
I sent mine Aug 16, still nothing returned. I also hunted without. I actually got stopped by COs and all they wanted to see was my DL and HL...WHEW !!

"No Choke"Lord Walsingham
12-26-2013, 02:26 PM
I remain a strong proponent of abolishing Canada's current Firearms scheme in its entirety by doing away with C-68. I wish I could say I am surprised by your stories yet it is all just par for the course in a system wherein the process is the punishment for having an interest in being a Law Abiding Firearms Owner.

Grizzloonly
12-27-2013, 10:55 AM
I am in the process of becoming a member of PCDHFC for this exact reason. I will own a restricted firearm primarily to try and avoid this crap in the future.

Listening to you folks and how you are being treated makes me wonder who is being hired to fill these positions. Are the BCCFO office prerequisites along the lines of being an opponent to legal and responsible firearm ownership? It really is sad.

Gun Dog
12-27-2013, 01:30 PM
When I renewed in 2011 it was all smooth. I received a package with a what the BC CFO wanted, the legislation authorizing him, an ATT form with instructions for a LTATT and fax and contact information. I joined Silvercore since I was between clubs and they emailed a membership. I faxed all the stuff and had my LTATT in a few days later and my RPAL a few weeks later.

It's their game and you have to play by their rules.

Rackem
01-13-2014, 10:19 AM
BC Firearms Office 1-800-731-4000 then 1 for English, 1 for you know the Extension ext: 9530

Jagermeister
01-13-2014, 10:31 AM
If you are being stalled by a seemingly length process, it's time to get onto you Member of Parliament to intercede on your behalf. Best if your MP is Conservative, worst if NDP, but both should act in good faith according to the law. Half a year is way too long. It might also help if you should ask the gal at the BC-CFO if you need to get your MP involved to help expedite the matter.

Rackem
01-13-2014, 02:20 PM
You don't buy a rifle without a PAL. You must hunt WITH someone that has a PAL or hunt with a bow or crossbow. You must be under the direct supervision of the person with a PAL.

Many people have had an FAC or PAL that has expired, and didn't give up their firearms because of that...taking the risk that they won't be caught. I stored mine with my ex husband who has a current PAL.

On hold with them 3 hours today...sick and wrong. Anyway they assure me it is on its way finally...sheesh.

Rackem
01-27-2014, 01:23 PM
Finally got my RPAL...yaay!!!...girl I know here got her regular PAL in one month...WTF?

elena
01-27-2014, 01:25 PM
how long did it take you Rackem?

Rackem
01-27-2014, 01:39 PM
125 days...too damn long....

knockturnal
01-27-2014, 01:49 PM
I sent my PAL renewal in on July 21st of last year. I still dont have it back.

Rackem
01-27-2014, 01:54 PM
That is NOT acceptable, did you call the BC CFO? BC Firearms Office 1-800-731-4000 then 1 for English, 1 for you know the Extension ext: 9530

That way you bypass the Mirimachi office and go straight to BC...

Trapper
01-27-2014, 04:49 PM
Renewed my RPal start of Dec and got it back first week of Jan. maybe 5 weeks is all it took.

Jagermeister
01-27-2014, 09:15 PM
I sent my PAL renewal in on July 21st of last year. I still dont have it back.
If you think it is a long time, it is a long time.
If any of you are renewing, start phoning after 3 weeks. If there is a problem with the application of one sort or another, you can be dammed sure they are not going to phone you to correct it. It takes up their time to make phone calls when they can be processing someone else's applications. Their logic is if you wanted it, you should be phoning at any moment now soon making inquires. They're waiting for your call.
In this case Knockturnal, you are long overdue, get phoning. If your PAL or RPAL has expired in the meantime, you may have to reapply.
Rackem has thoughtfully provided the shortcut.

knockturnal
01-27-2014, 10:47 PM
I have called. They said it was on the desk waiting approval. I'm going to call again when I get home from this shift.

mikeboehm
01-27-2014, 10:54 PM
my rpal expires this august. should i send in the renewal now

Fred1
01-27-2014, 11:27 PM
my rpal expires this august. should i send in the renewal now

Yes!!! Send right now!!! Mine took 8 months!!! Yes...8... Even after 2 phone calls and two "its in the mail" replies... 8 months. The two newbies I co-signed PAL s for got theirs in 3 less than three months. All three applications wen on the same day - go figure?

shelg
01-27-2014, 11:53 PM
I called my MP's office and I had my PAL a week.

knockturnal
02-08-2014, 08:05 AM
Got home from work yesterday to find my pal waiting for me. July 21,2013-feb 7,2014.

realneil
02-08-2014, 08:17 AM
I had a similar experience. Pretty much needed to resend my Gun Club info to their inbox while I had them on the phone. The whole process of getting my RPAL took quite a long time. I imagine they are short staffed like most Federal or Provincial offices. Worth the wait though!

I've been waiting six months for my new RPAL to show up in the mail.
I phoned 2 months ago and they said it was at the BC CFO office and to sit tight and that they're on it.
I phoned today and got the same story, so I told them that's what they said 2 months ago, so they transferred me to the BC CFO office.

So after waiting on hold for 35 minutes, the BC CFO office told me that all I needed to do was email or fax my current gun club membership to them and proof of identification for me so they can get my new RPAL processed-as well as a new LTATT. I told them I didn't renew my membership partly since I wasn't able to go to the range for the past four months that my RPAL has been expired, and that I'd get a new one today and email it right away.

So for anyone in the same boat, I'd suggest you do the same, hopefully I can save you a bit of grief. Because I had a feeling that they weren't going to get back to me on their own steam.

It would be nice to set up a guideline for applicants to help them along with these long waits, because for sure applicants phoning them takes up their valuable time when they could be stamping applications, but I'm thinking they want us to pester them based on what I've been reading.

russm
02-09-2014, 12:14 PM
Hey Snow, if your references get called you should call them right after, that's what me and a couple friends did and they were sent out right away...

snow
02-09-2014, 12:17 PM
call whom? ... the references or the office? :-)

russm
02-09-2014, 12:20 PM
Lol I guess I should've been more clear, the office haha, I don't know if it had anything to do with us calling them but they were sent out right away after we'd talked to them to see if we'd been approved.

Scotty-B
02-09-2014, 02:16 PM
I renewed my RPAL last year. I did it by mail like anyone else ever would. I included my VISA info for payment like anyone else would, and had my new RPAL in about 2½ weeks.

When my ATT expired in the first week of January, I sent in my renewal by taking a picture of my PAL and my current range membership card (so everything was readable), e-mailed it to them with no write up, no explanation, nothing but 'ATT Renewal' in the Subject line and a simple "Thank you" under the pictures. I had my new ATT in my mailbox in 8 business days - maybe earlier because I do not check the mail every day. I quickly scanned over the documents and found that I was legal to transport from my residence in BC (on the Island) to any approved range and border crossing... yada yada yada... in ALBERTA and return to home. That was a bit of a significant typo. So I called them up because it would suck to have not noticed this, and to get a record over a simple clerical error if I was ever stopped. I waited on hold for 5 minutes before I could ask them politely about it. Before I was able to say thank you for your time and hang up, my phone buzzed, and I had a new and corrected one e-mailed to me to print off. She asked if I would like it dropped into the mail or e-mailed. I figured with an an e-mail, I can print it off any time in the event the first got damaged or whatever. I like to have these records anyway.

I guess I have horseshoes hiding somewhere that I hadn't noticed before???

downsouth204
02-09-2014, 02:23 PM
A helpful guide for first time restricted firearm buyers on Grouse River's website. Obviously if you already have a long term ATT, there's no need to apply for another one. Dealing with the CFP/CFO by phone and email is more reliable than faxing documents.

http://www.grouseriver.com/v/vspfiles/assets/images/Customer_guide_to_Restricted_Firearms.pdf

rocksteady
02-09-2014, 05:33 PM
Resubmitted in May 2013, received Feb 7, 2014

Mine was just a regular PAL..

Vader
02-09-2014, 08:18 PM
My RPAL was due mid march so I though I would jump start it and sent the application for renewal complete with selfie and a copy of my club membership on Dec. 27. Club membership I included as a result of having been delayed the last time for lack of membership even though I did not have a restricted weapon yet... because I did not have RPAL. Long story short I got a membership and faxed that in.

I received my RPAL this time in 5 weeks!

It took me longer to transfer a handgun last year, 6 weeks, than it did for the renewal. The transfer took so long because they were trying to show how "short staffed they were". At least that's what the nice lady told me.

Out of curiosity I asked my son if his was due soon.. you know kids.. they procrastinate.. Somehow his doesn't expire until 2018 and he renewed it in 2008! I know my daughter renewed last year, I had to remind her, and strangely.. it does not expire until 2019. 6 year issue.

I got the only educated immigrant on duty that could add in the government office!

BlacktailStalker
02-09-2014, 08:19 PM
Took 4.5 months for mine. I but I called them many times and bitched.

Vetteman
02-10-2014, 05:13 PM
Wow, I sent my renewal in during the first week of December and it came the third week of January. 6 1/2 - 7 weeks.
Dave

huff
02-22-2014, 07:43 PM
Just got mine on the 20th .. only took since July...... what a great service the RCMP runs

Rich_D
02-23-2014, 10:52 AM
Got my renewal back last week, sent it in Jan. 5 week turn around including mailing time.

jeff341
02-24-2014, 10:32 AM
Just applied for a PAL.....Maybe 2 weeks ago. What is the current turn around time for first time applicants? Anyone recently get theirs?

Everett
02-24-2014, 11:31 AM
Just mailed mine in last week doesn't expire till July hopefully it will make it by than.

snow
03-07-2014, 01:08 PM
YAY! Just got the PAL/RPAL today, good timing for the weekend coming up! SO... it took exactly 6 weeks from when they received my application to when they mailed the license to me. From the day I saw my credit card charged with the fee, it took 2 weeks to process the application. After they called my reference (only 1 of my references was contacted), they issued the license the next day.

hare_assassin
03-07-2014, 01:18 PM
YAY! Just got the PAL/RPAL today, good timing for the weekend coming up! SO... it took exactly 6 weeks from when they received my application to when they mailed the license to me. From the day I saw my credit card charged with the fee, it took 2 weeks to process the application. After they called my reference (only 1 of my references was contacted), they issued the license the next day.

Go shoot some hares!

Philcott
03-07-2014, 01:41 PM

Great, now you can get out shooting.

Everett
03-07-2014, 03:15 PM
Well they just processed my payment 3 weeks after I mailed it in so far so good.

Everett
03-19-2014, 03:18 PM
Just received my new RPAL in the mail this morning so 5 weeks from the date I mailed it via snail mail and 12 days since they charged my credit card..