PDA

View Full Version : have to know

butthead
12-15-2013, 02:33 PM
Do you guys that park along side a dirt road and go for a walk into a clear cut along a skidder road or other area, are you actually shooting any deer while your walking.
now i can see it if you go into the bush and wander around but see so many people walking down a road.
just wondering if iam doing something wrong. how you guys are doing success wise?

Jagermeister
12-15-2013, 03:18 PM
Is Beavis with you?

.300WSMImpact!
12-15-2013, 03:24 PM
Do you guys that park along side a dirt road and go for a walk into a clear cut along a skidder road or other area, are you actually shooting any deer while your walking.
now i can see it if you go into the bush and wander around but see so many people walking down a road.
just wondering if iam doing something wrong. how you guys are doing success wise?

just fine.............

hunter1993ap
12-15-2013, 04:48 PM
best advise, it can happen anywhere at anytime.

kennyj
12-15-2013, 05:07 PM
Its often a lot quieter walking down a road than it is in the bush.
kenny

chris
12-15-2013, 05:31 PM
Walk quietly down a road and you will hear the trucks a mile away. Deer hear better than us. Its not rocket science.

Jelvis
12-15-2013, 05:35 PM
People hunt down roads and wide trails off main roads into clear cuts and logged off areas because if they get something walking along, they can go back and get the truck and drive into the kill spot.
And some hunters don't want to get mixed up in the bush ridges so they stay on these old roads and trails.
Jel .. I have friends that do this cuz their legs are in bad shape from lack of exercise and this is all they can do.

Big Lew
12-15-2013, 05:53 PM
Quite often you're too exposed while walking along a road through a clearcut, but if the road goes through little dips and tree patches, yes. Otherwise, if there are skidder or cattle trails around/into a cut, and there are ridges and cover of some kind, it's the better method. Deer have incredible hearing, so if you don't follow a path of some kind, sooner or later you will have to force your way through junk which is impossible to do without making a hell of a lot of noise.

HarryToolips
12-15-2013, 05:59 PM
Quite often you're too exposed while walking along a road through a clearcut, but if the road goes through little dips and tree patches, yes. Otherwise, if there are skidder or cattle trails around/into a cut, and there are ridges and cover of some kind, it's the better method. Deer have incredible hearing, so if you don't follow a path of some kind, sooner or later you will have to force your way through junk which is impossible to do without making a hell of a lot of noise.
IF the ground is somewhat damp, or you have damp rather than crusty snow, when you take your time you'd be surprised how quiet one can be when walking in the bush, even off of any trail..

Jelvis
12-15-2013, 06:26 PM
During early season in September the bush has leaves on and the ground and forest floor is dry and lots of noise. Then it is to some advantage to walk in the open trails and cut block skidder trails. After the leaves fall and the ground has rain on it you can walk through the foliage with minimal sound.
Jellapeeno Della Reemo

butthead
12-15-2013, 06:52 PM
so no one answered with yes ive shot a deer while walking down a road

Jelvis
12-15-2013, 06:56 PM
Do you mean a deer or the hunter walking on the road?
And you said while walking
I stop when I aim to shoot I don't shoot while walking
You need to be clear, lol, what grade did you attain in school?
Your playing stupid, and your winning big time lol

Big Lew
12-15-2013, 07:54 PM
so no one answered with yes ive shot a deer while walking down a road

If you read my response to you carefully, you'll notice I said 'yes'. I've shot several deer while quietly walking along logging or skidder roads. I've also shot several deer while quietly sneaking along cattle and skidder trails around, or inside slashes.

butthead
12-15-2013, 08:03 PM
If you read my response to you carefully, you'll notice I said 'yes'. I've shot several deer while quietly walking along logging or skidder roads. I've also shot several deer while quietly sneaking along cattle and skidder trails around, or inside slashes.
your right there was a yes in there
thanks

Jagermeister
12-15-2013, 08:17 PM
just wondering if iam doing something wrong.Yeah, you're moving. Here's what they aren't telling you. Scout the area you want to hunt, you want to pattern the deer that habituate the area. Deer do move on roads, once in a while. You will find that if you get off the roads or out of the clearcuts and into the peripheral bush, a network of game trails leading all over the place. You want to stake out these trails, particularly those that have multiple intersects. Treestands or ground blinds. This will become even more effective if there are lots of hunters milling about because they will keep the animals moving. Like hunting a driven hunt. The only negative about this is most of the very large bucks hang on top of mountains. They do not move down until pushed by deep snow.
Finding a buck strolling down the skidder trail or access road in a clearcut is like winning the lottery. It's a matter of timing and good fortune.

Big Lew
12-15-2013, 09:16 PM
I'll elaborate a bit further...by far the most bucks I've shot, in places that I earlier mentioned, were feeding or poking around in little gulleys, on the other side of low ridges, or in little pocket indents along the timber edges. Places that I was able to quietly approach undetected.

dana
12-15-2013, 09:24 PM
I've had lots of success walking winter grade roads into blocks that trucks and quads have difficulty getting into. i've had lots of success walking skid trails to back hidden corners that can't be seen from the main road. Short quick hikes just to see that back hidden corner are usually quite eventful.

hunter1947
12-16-2013, 05:42 AM
Any person can go for a walk from a spur road on up through a slash and yes find game animals you never know where you will find a game animal ,,I have done exactly what you are wanting to know many of times I am headed through the slash to get up into the timber and have shot a game animal before get into the timber ,,you never know whee you will see a game animal..

Darksith
12-16-2013, 06:12 AM
I walk several roads that have been made impossible for vehicle or atv travel. They cut through large blocks, burns and general open areas with lots of glassing opportunities. I know there are deer in these areas, and I have harvested several from these areas. The biggest reason to walk the road is stealth. The reason Im in that area is b/c I know there are deer there, and I can see a lot of ground from a few spots. Know your areas, learn how to move through them to cover the most ground possible while being quiet and you will have success.

The Silent Stalker
12-16-2013, 09:15 AM
Is Beavis with you?

Damn, I spilled my coffee, haha.

howa1500
12-17-2013, 08:39 AM
You see way more walking than driving.

I routinely walk, and only use the truck to drive to a new spot to walk. When in a new area I routinely drive a bit, park, then walk 10 or 20 minutes into the bush to see what there is.