PDA

View Full Version : Big ok (island) lake

greenhornn
12-14-2013, 09:36 PM
Wondering if anyone has any info on this lake, fishing reports, campsite etc. thanks in advance

hookedonblacktails
12-18-2013, 09:08 PM
I haven't been there for several years now but there are two campsites, second one is at far end of lake, both of them typical FS sites. Use to be known for big fish but if I had to guess I would say they are mostly 1.5-2 lbs with some 3lb ers with the odd 4 lb er kicking around and probably not big numbers of them but enough to keep you interested. It's a clear lake and a lot of it shallow, keep an eye for those drop offs into deeper water. If you go in the fall use boatmen and leeches if you go in the spring keep moving around until you find the bugs hatching and go from there. That being said, chironomid fishing is your friend. Do you fish chronies?

Sofa King
12-18-2013, 10:05 PM
ive done well around the island. the sedge hatch on that lake is amazing. a friend caught a fourteen lber in there. heard rumours that it was going to be poisoned of. done know if that ever happened though.

Stone Sheep Steve
12-19-2013, 08:39 AM
Only fished it once years ago....mid July.
Had a great day casting a sedge pupae to cruising fish over a sunken island. You could see them go after it then turn away quickly thinking they refused it...then the line started to peel.
A good day for the memory banks!

SSS

139grainsofhell
12-19-2013, 09:09 AM
It's more than likely frozen with no ice fishing allowed. Very fun lake like SSS has said if you fish over the sunken islands the water is so clear you can see the take on good days you can catch a lot o 3-5 lbers the bigger ones are there as well. It's catch and release single barbless and there is a co that acts like he's fishing and sneaks right up on you to check your hook license an so on ,make sure that barb is pinched all the way down or learn the hard way like my buddy.

139grainsofhell
12-19-2013, 09:10 AM
Oh and lots of camping space few years ago they cleared out a huge area put pit toilets and tables in all over the place.

greenhornn
12-21-2013, 11:39 AM
Yes I love fishing chronomids ok thanks for the co tip!

6.5x55
12-23-2013, 02:10 PM
was in the area hunting in October and when we tried to go out the old access road past the end of the tailings pond the road was totally blocked by mine construction after trying several roads with no luck we were forced to back track to lower nic as I wasn't going to drive back out widow's brook at night. I'm hoping that they will have the public access open by springtime.

Singleshotneeded
12-23-2013, 02:58 PM
I was there a few years ago, great quadding around there! My bud was having big trout break his fly lines and I caught a couple of big 2+ footers on 20 pound test. There are some nice fish in that lake, amigos!