PDA

View Full Version : Wolf attack

Shop Lord
02-07-2007, 12:33 PM
I got a call yesterday that my neighbours dog was missing and that she had found a piece of his fur and some blood. I grabbed my rifle and went to look for the ravens. After about a hour of hiking around I saw a raven fly over with a big chunk of meat in its beak so I started to head over towards where it came from. I had just got over to where the dog was when I hear a wolf howl; it sounded close so I sat down and got ready. I sat there for 2 hours and every time I howled the wolf answered. It howled back at me over 70 times! The wolf sounded like it was within 100 yards but I couldn't see it though the bush. When I got up to leave it must have seen me because I heard it bark. On the way back to my house I found what was left of the dog. Not much. Out of a hundred pound german shepard I found about 15 pounds. Four feet, pelvis, spine, his tail and collar. My wife heard the wolves howling and a dog barking at 11 pm, so within 12 hours they had finished the whole dog. The scary thing is that they killed the dog less than 30 yards from my back door! Gatehouse and I are going out this afternoon with the foxpro for some revenge.

elkguide
02-07-2007, 12:38 PM
Go get em guys and shoot straight!!!!!

lip_ripper00
02-07-2007, 12:40 PM
good luck 8-)

todbartell
02-07-2007, 12:41 PM
good luck 8-)

BlacktailStalker
02-07-2007, 12:46 PM
Knock em down!
my friend lost 2 and a third seriously wounded to wolves last fall all in one night.

bigwhiteys
02-07-2007, 12:48 PM
Sorry about your Neighbors dog that sucks but I hope to hear of a happy ending if you know what I mean ;)

Happy Hunting!
Carl

bsa30-06
02-07-2007, 05:07 PM
Shoot the bugger and be sure to post the pics.!!!

Gateholio
02-07-2007, 06:14 PM
The wolves appear to have moved on...we spent 2 hours in the rain calling, and got no response!

From anything! :)

Tried yote howls, distress calls, deer distress, wolf howls, birds, everythin!! Did have ravens swooping the caller quie often, though :)

Gateholio
02-07-2007, 06:14 PM
The wolves appear to have moved on...we spent 2 hours in the rain calling, and got no response!

From anything! :)

Tried yote howls, distress calls, deer distress, wolf howls, birds, everythin!! Did have ravens swooping the caller quie often, though :)

hunter1947
02-07-2007, 06:26 PM
Go get them wolfs ,there are to many of them out there :evil: hope you and gatehouse clean house :lol: I read this book and learnt something new on how Eskimos kill wolfs ,they take a 6 inch bone that is thin and sharp ,then they bend it in a u shape then put meat around it and freeze it ,then when the wolf eats it and starts to unthaw ,it springs open and lodges in there throat killing them. hunter 47.

todbartell
02-07-2007, 06:28 PM
Gatehouse, you failed 8-)

hunter1947
02-07-2007, 06:33 PM
There full now but will return in a few days after they do there cycle ,head out in a couple days and try again ,believe me they will return :mad: ,hunter 47.

Gateholio
02-07-2007, 06:46 PM
Gatehouse, you failed 8-)

Not surprising.

i suck as a hunter.:sad:

hunter1947
02-07-2007, 06:54 PM
You can't get something that is no longer in the area ,don't get down on yourself ,just go back out every evening ,you will hear them or find them again ,hunter 1947

Jetboat
02-07-2007, 07:09 PM
they take a 6 inch bone that is thin and sharp ,then they bend it in a u shape then put meat around it and freeze it ,then when the wolf eats it and starts to unthaw ,it springs open and lodges in there throat killing them

A diamond willow stick, sharpened on both ends works too. A local rancher in a wolf plagued area, showed me a sponge, scrunched up small and covered in deer tallow then frozen. The wolf swallows it whole and as it thaws in their guts, the sponge expands and the results are cruel but effective. When it's your pets and livestock, you kinda lose all compassion and just destroy them any way possible. Try again in another day or two, Gatehouse. Use some howls to locate them and then perhaps the fawn-in-distress to bring 'em into the crosshairs.

Husky7mm
02-07-2007, 08:59 PM
Borrow someones hound dog and tie it a tree in that area, then let it hauler and such and just sit and wait.:twisted:
The wolves in that area finished off my favorite hunting area one range over.:evil:
A good wolf is a dead wolf:evil:

rollingrock
02-08-2007, 10:34 AM
:evil:I've always thought that a German shepard could take on a wolf without problem. Or they just came in a pack?

bigwhiteys
02-08-2007, 11:32 AM
I've always thought that a German shepard could take on a wolf without problem. Or they just came in a pack?

Wolves can bring down Moose, Caribou and Elk. A pack of 3 could make short work of almost any dog I would suspect.

Carl

tfl
02-08-2007, 01:00 PM
I've heard people say their dog could take on a wolf (like a pitbull or such) but dogs fight and wolves kill for a living, not a chance!
Keep checking back the wolves will return but it might take up to 2 weeks.
Take a male dog with you for a walk after you finish calling and let him lift his leg on ever rock, tree, or clump of grass. This really pisses them off and makes them angery and careless.
If you find wolf tracks your usually too late, unless they're standing in them or they have a kill close by.
They don't hang around long and are always moving.
Good luck guys and don't give up!

hunter1947
02-08-2007, 06:18 PM
No dog has any chance of beating up a wolf that is healthy ,they kill for a living. hunter 1947.

stixnstones
02-08-2007, 07:49 PM
getter done.

SUAFOYT
02-08-2007, 08:14 PM
Go get them wolfs ,there are to many of them out there :evil: hope you and gatehouse clean house :lol: I read this book and learnt something new on how Eskimos kill wolfs ,they take a 6 inch bone that is thin and sharp ,then they bend it in a u shape then put meat around it and freeze it ,then when the wolf eats it and starts to unthaw ,it springs open and lodges in there throat killing them. hunter 47.

This technique was also used on polar bear. They would lay the bait and wait. Then follow the blood trail. Not very pleasant but probably effective.

CHilko21
02-09-2007, 01:49 AM

I had heard something about that too...sounds like it'd be pretty lethal. Haven't had so many problems with wolves as with cougars...former neighbor had sheep so they were a prime target, I lost a dog....too bad they wouldn't get our damn pigmy goats,:lol: do me a favour.....hope you guys get those wolves

Mattimoose
02-09-2007, 06:34 PM
When I worked in Moose Factory, my friend had chickens. One night the chickens were going nuts and his dog was strangely silent. The dog was collared to a clothesline, but only the dog's head remained; still in the collar. It was a large Shepard-Husky cross and all that was left were the tracks of a large Timber Wolf.

When there was a bounty on Wolves, in the 50's, my father and his friends used to hunt wolves from a souped-up '29 ford with tire chains. They would catch a pack on the ice and run them down, shooting them out-the-window with a 12-guage. The last-time they did this though, 2 of the animals tested positive for rabies and the whole crew had to get a course of 28 needles in the stomach!

Another good one;was when they culled Beef or Pigs in the fall. They would fill a cardboard box with snow and broken glass and then bleed the cow into the box as the cow hung from the tractor bucket. The box would freeze and be placed on a frozen lake where there were Wolf tracks crossing frequently. The cardboard was peeled-off, creating a gigantic, deadly popsicle. My father said they checked the set after a heavy snowfall, and as he came-up to-it, he counted seven other lumps in the snow that happened to be wolves that had bled themselves to death. He guesses the more they licked, the better it tasted as their frozen tongues were numbed by the icy treat.

A similar set works with a chunk of rancid meat on a big treble hook about 4 or 5 feet off the ground. This is better suited to Foxes and Coyotes than Wolves, and the height is determined by the size of your prey. A stout cable or clothesline is best and when the animal jumps-up, it impales itself on the hook and bleeeds to death as there are a lot of blood vessels in the canine nose.

Of course, anyone caught using any of these sets these days would have their nuts cut-off by the powers that be; but it's just food for thought here. Once, in Moose Factory, we were out for a drive to the dump with the company vehicle, and we stopped to see a bunch of tourists outside of their bus taking pictures of a Wild Timberwolf that appeared to be sitting, picture-perfect and absolutely still, as if posing for them.

This didn't look right, and my partners and I assumed the big, black, bugger must be rabid; but he looked perfectly healthy. The mystery was soon solved when another truck pulled-up and a long-haired native fella got an axe out-of the back of the truck. He walked right-up to the Wolf and give-it a whack on the head with the blunt of the the axe. The horrified tourists dissipated, loudly, as obviously none of them had realised that the Wolf was caught in a tightly-drawn snare. That's why he hadn't dared to move; another inch and he would have been strangled! Life goes on, I guess.

boxhitch
02-09-2007, 07:56 PM
Whats that I hear ? The bells of the 'Censorship' Wagon coming.

Where is Moose Factory ??

Pete
02-11-2007, 05:10 PM
BH Moose Factory is in northern ont. up near to James bay. home of the Swampy Cree