PDA

View Full Version : Moose calling lessons learned

two-feet
12-14-2013, 04:02 PM
So the 2013 moose season had some ups and downs for me but all told was an absolutely fantastic time, as is any trip out to the bush with guns and friends. We took 1 moose between 3 guys and had chances at 2 others that fell through because of mistakes on our part. The major thing that I learned is that when set up for calling, the moose don't typically come and stand out in the middle of the swamp like they are supposed to. All 3 that we called in came through the very thickest bush available, sneaking in like ninjas in some instances and grunting and smashing in others, but staying in the thickets regardless. So what I will do differently next year is this:
1- Have the caller set up in the bush away from the edge of the swamp, I think the moose will feel more comfortable coming in with a bit more cover
2- Try to have a shooter set up to cover some of the thicker routes into the spot
3- Try to find a spot that has a natural bottleneck of cover, open on the other sides, and call them into there.
4- Think I wont do anything but cow calls next year as I think the bull calls will scare away the immature bulls

Would love to hear feed back from you experienced moose callers out there

Thanks!

Paulyman
12-14-2013, 05:22 PM
Don't forget to wear lipstick and the best moose perfume money can buy.

Sitkaspruce
12-14-2013, 07:44 PM
Don't be static, move around, walk away, call into your jacket, break branches, always set up prior to calling and look for good calling spots. Along the edge of a swamp is a hard place to set up and call from. Look for ridges where you can look down into areas and that allow your calls to travel. Moose can hear a long way, I called in a bull that we saw from a little over a km away and he came in on a string. When you set up, look for openings not only where you think he might show up, but make sure there is an opening for when he swings down wind, as they usually do. Biggest thing is being patient, they will hold up and stand there for a long time not moving, just do the same.

Don't be afraid to try something different and always be willing to be the agressor, especially if you have visual and see that he is a mature bull.

Lots of fun and they will teach you something new everytime.

Cheers

SS

"No Choke"Lord Walsingham
12-14-2013, 08:18 PM
Moose are truly incredible animals! I am constantly amazed by them.

That thick cover mentioned in this threads Original Post, coupled with techniques mentioned by Sitkaspruce and some Bow-hunting techniques are often employed by Moose Hunters using Shotguns with appropriate loads by hunters in jurisdictions outside of British Columbia. In BC, the Shotgun is disallowed by the hunting regulations, much to my chagrin!

Two-feet, congratualtions to your party on harvesting a Moose. Your Families and yourselves shall surely all enjoy many fine meals as a result of your efforts! The experience, knowledge and skill gained afield will enhance all your Hunting endeavours in the future.

Great work Sir!

XPEIer
12-15-2013, 07:54 AM
This one will sound funny, but, practice cow calling with one hand. I called in a bull this fall, I was all set up for him to step out of the timber, I was down on one knee gun ready and he hung up at the timber edge. So, not wanting to set my gun down I had to try to give some sort of a cow call with just one hand, may not have sounded the best but it was enough to get him to step out for the shot. It will be something I will work on for sure, figure out the best cow calls I can do with NO Hands. (I must say this was close range stuff, 55yds)

The other tip, get the wind as soon as you hear a response, you should have time to get on the downwind side of the bull calling.

xpeier

Cordillera
12-15-2013, 08:48 AM
Get up so you can see down into that thick brush. Sometimes there are openings to shoot down into when the brush otherwise looks is like a wall when you are sitting on the edge of the swamp.

I also learned that they will do that sneak around thing more than you think. I saw a bull at about 800 meters and when I called he looked, then kept walking in the direction he had been going. Two more calls and he looked again but kept trucking and disappeared into the bush. My first reaction was that the rut wasn't really on. But 15 minutes later I heard a faint grunt in the timber coming back to me. Five minutes later he appeared, I let out a small call, he kept coming sticking to the heavy willow. As soon as he stepped into a hole where I could get a good shot it was done. He had done a full semi circle to get to me.

knighthunter
12-15-2013, 10:09 AM
You don't have to do a perfect cow call to call in a moose. I have done some pretty awful calls and have had them respond.

604redneck
12-15-2013, 10:26 AM
Just fire up a chain saw and cut some fire wood the moose will walk right to the hanging pole

FishandHunt
12-15-2013, 08:03 PM
Just fire up a chain saw and cut some fire wood the moose will walk right to the hanging pole

This is true; I have had a few bulls come into camp grunting when I was chopping wood.
Calling varies greatly depending on the rut. There are a few great videos out there with real life calling and examples. Youtube it.

two-feet
12-15-2013, 08:50 PM
Calling does not seem to be the issue, i had 3 bulls come in to the call over the 5 days i was in camp. Its just that there were some opertunities to finish that we did not capitalize on where i think a more expirienced hunter would have. So i guess i am looking for more tactics than techniques.
I have narrowed the location for next years hunt and have been putting on some miles to really learn the lay of the land, i will be calling from areas that will force the moose into natural bottlenecks. I plan on cutting 3-4 km of trails and building a tree stand or two over the summer as well.
This is in the same general area as where i shot my 1st moose as a lad of 14 about 20 years ago. It feels pretty sweet to have been hunting the same area for so long.

Cordillera
12-15-2013, 09:16 PM
I think you have a great plan. if you have a tree stand located, go cut a few shooting lanes into the heavy brush. As you witnessed, they can stick to the brush.

blackwater moose
12-16-2013, 09:16 AM
call , and be patient, the moose could be where you are in seconds or hours. if moose don't percieve you as dangerous, you can pretty do any thing and not scare them away

NorBC
12-16-2013, 09:35 AM
I am by no means an expert but what I found this year was every time we saw a cow we would stop and do cow calls and wait. Almost everyone was accompanied with a bull. And with mine he stood behind a tree for a good half hr, but once the cow started moving he started following right away. Patience is the biggest part. He knew we were there but when she moved his natural male instincts got the best of him.

two-feet
12-16-2013, 10:12 AM
So are you guys mixing bull and cow calls? I think this is how we blew one of our chances, had a bull grunting and coming in, he hung up just outside our main shooting lane so we did a bull grunt and raked a tree. Moose left. An older gent figured he may have been a younger bull that had his ass kicked previously and was shy of other bulls.

NorBC
12-16-2013, 10:42 AM
That happened to me as well, after that I just stuck to cow calls.

skid
12-16-2013, 10:59 AM
We didn't have much luck with calling this year, at times we'd call and be patient and nothing would happen, then we'd walk down the trail 500 yards and see a bull by himself in a clearing, and this was in bow season when the rut is good. Then other times they'd run right to ya. between the 3 of us that hunted together through out the moose season we all got one, but what really seemed to make the differance was hike, hike hike.

DANOSON
12-16-2013, 11:01 AM
What I have found that works for me is to cow call until you hear the grunt and then turn backwards and grunt call away from him making him think that there is another bull comming in on the cow. Wait and hear the grunt and a twig snap is a great rush as you know that dinner is very close. My 2 cents works for me.

Ltbullken
12-16-2013, 12:05 PM
I stick with cow calls and yes they can approach in unexpected ways. Always good to keep a 360 degree awareness and consider your shooting lanes before calling. I have done an hour or two of cow calling (in the morning and late afternoon) then towards the end, I throw in a softer bull grunt to perhaps coax a bull into coming out thinking that another bull is competing for the cow. I have had pretty good results.

RBH
12-16-2013, 12:07 PM
I am not a moose hunter but spent a very enjoyable afternoon talking with a long time experienced moose hunter and guide from Ontario. Interestingly he specifically mentioned setting up near a lake or swamp (with the wind in your face) because when responding to a call a moose will try to get downwind, if possible, to check out the source of the call. Some of the comments above suggest that is what the moose are doing -- circling around and coming in from the downwind side.

haha i have to add that the guy had a terrific story about guiding an American hunter, who was on the trip of his life. They were in a hurry to get set up so no time for the hunter to bring his video camera. Long story short they got a nice moose but had more time so kept calling. They called in a huge bull and had the thing right in on them (within 20 ft), frothing, snorting and pawing the ground sending big clods of turf flying in all directions. They hugely regretted not having the camera, but had an awesome time. He had other stories about guiding a wildlife researcher who would hold up varying sized antlers when the bulls came in close, trying to determine the effect of antler size on the challenger reactions. If things got too hairy he would have to jump up and blow on a whistle to signal time out. Sounded awesome!

two-feet
12-16-2013, 12:26 PM
Of the 3 that came in for us this year, 2 came within 20 yrds. Seems like the best animal to target with a bow as getting them to come in close is relatively easy compared to other animals

Ltbullken
12-16-2013, 05:36 PM
Had a nice bull come in on me last year, but he wasn't legal. He stuck around for about 20 mins. I was cow calling for about an hour in good habitat late afternoon during the Sept rut when he walked in right behind me. I heard the occasional snap for about 20 mins prior which was probably him coming in. He walked in to about 20 paces when I put my arms in the air and swaggered side to side and grunted. That stopped him. He fed for a bit, wonder off, I'd cow call and he'd come in again and then I'd put my arms up again and swagger and grunt, he'd stop. This went on for a bit. Had my rifle ready in case he charged because I had no cover whatsoever. Had plenty of time to count points but he was just not legal (though some grass hanging off his brow palm may have obstructed a potential third tine making him legal! Wonder if he was raking before coming in?). Wish I could've recorded it. I did take some pics though. Awesome experience!!

Sitkaspruce
12-17-2013, 07:51 PM
So are you guys mixing bull and cow calls? I think this is how we blew one of our chances, had a bull grunting and coming in, he hung up just outside our main shooting lane so we did a bull grunt and raked a tree. Moose left. An older gent figured he may have been a younger bull that had his ass kicked previously and was shy of other bulls.

Probably what happened, but the other thing is they simply qute because their 6th scense told them something was not right. Seen it happen with big bulls as well. I am a cow caller, but will use raking & bull grunts when they hang up, you have nothing to lose. Another thing to try if they hang up is to have the caller walk away and call 50 yards or more away from the original spot, while the shooter waits.

From what you have said, it sounds like you are setting up in tight spots, maybe try to set up in a more open area. You do not have to be right on top of them, try setting up 100 yards or so away from where you think they might be holding, let them come to you.

Cheers

SS