PDA

View Full Version : Considerations for a fly in hunt?

Fella
12-14-2013, 01:45 PM
Hey gents, the group of guys I hunt with have decided to start planning for a fly in hunt up north. None of us have done a fly in, and don't know anyone who has done a fly in in the last decade or so. What are some things we need to consider? Does anyone have advice on what to watch out for when chartering a plane? Any suggestions on which companies to
contact for the charter? (Pm with that info please!)

Thanks guys!

12-14-2013, 02:17 PM
A fly in trip would be great, but you may also want to consider a pack trip. I've gone several times with Steamboat Mountain Outfitters and had a great time. Probably similar cost to a fly in trip. Fall 2014 I am going to try a river boat drop hunt with Riverjet Adventures. I'm really excited as I have never done a jet boat trip. I realize you were asking about fly-in hunts, but just some other options to consider.

BiG Boar
12-14-2013, 02:33 PM
I've done 5 fly in trips now in the last few years. I would highly recommend it. There's a lot to talk about though. Much preparation needed. But it's not nearly as hard as one might think. Plane takes you to the lake with your gear. 1200lbs per flight including your party and gear. Bring a base camp tent and a spike tent and off you go. Big list of gear, changes depending on species and time of the year. But it's well worth it, and a lot of fun. A true piece of adventure. If you want to PM me, I could meet you for coffee or just chat on the phone about preparations needed. It would have been a steep learning curve, but I went in with someone who knew how to do it right the first time. By far my favorite hunt. And not as daunting as it may seem at first.

Chopper
12-14-2013, 02:34 PM
These days there is even a lot of pressure on the for out lakes ... guys with money are all over it. I would fly in and still plan on hiking for at least a day. The guys that are willing to hike for a day are going to find the bigger and better pockets of game.

There is a saying I use a lot these days " your always a day away from game "

A fly in is likely not going to guarantee you anything. Best of luck , im sure someone knows something I don't

BCbillies
12-14-2013, 02:51 PM
To me a fly-in adds a lot of romance to the hunt! A lot less to worry about in compared to using boats, quads, horses, etc. Just pick the spot get dropped off and then two weeks later make a phone call and get picked up. You need to establish what you are hunting for, how many guys, budget, location, etc. Three hunters in a beaver can each bring out a sheep in one flight but that won't be the case on a moose/caribou hunt. Get two days away from the lake and you'll likely not see another hunter and get into some good hunting. Get into the best shape of your life and you won't regret it. Some lakes you can fly-in (empty) to start off your trip but not out of with game (loaded). Consider options such as a drop off lake and a different lake for pickup, airdrops, etc. My last two trips haven't had a base camp at a lake (everything on my back) so I can cover some significant ground and fly-out of a number of different lakes.

12-14-2013, 02:58 PM
To me a fly-in adds a lot of romance to the hunt! A lot less to worry about in compared to using boats, quads, horses, etc. Just pick the spot get dropped off and then two weeks later make a phone call and get picked up. You need to establish what you are hunting for, how many guys, budget, location, etc. Three hunters in a beaver can each bring out a sheep in one flight but that won't be the case on a moose/caribou hunt. Get two days away from the lake and you'll likely not see another hunter and get into some good hunting. Get into the best shape of your life and you won't regret it. Some lakes you can fly-in (empty) to start off your trip but not out of with game (loaded). Consider options such as a drop off lake and a different lake for pickup, airdrops, etc. My last two trips haven't had a base camp at a lake (everything on my back) so I can cover some significant ground and fly-out of a number of different lakes.

I would disagree with the "lot less worry" comment. In fact, planes have the added worry of delays due to poor weather. I would suggest that anybody considering a fly in trip have a bit of flexibility with their schedule. Boats and horses don't have much worry attached to them as long as the boat doesn't sink or the horse doesn't throw you.

BCbillies
12-14-2013, 03:16 PM
Weather hasn't big a factor on my fly-ins so I know I have been fortunate. I know of some guys that have had to wait 5 days on the dock for the weather to smartin up. Also know of some gong show trips with boat breakdowns, River freezing up, etc. It's good to try all means in our lifetime.

12-14-2013, 03:27 PM
Weather hasn't big a factor on my fly-ins so I know I have been fortunate. I know of some guys that have had to wait 5 days on the dock for the weather to smartin up. Also know of some gong show trips with boat breakdowns, River freezing up, etc. It's good to try all means in our lifetime.

For sure. And don't get me wrong, if I win the lottery, the first (or second) thing I'm going to do is get my pilots license and buy a bush plane. I have my eye on the one below, a Cubcrafters Top Cub

http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc215/goatcamp/tc_e_08_th_zps26d8f748.jpg (http://s219.photobucket.com/user/goatcamp/media/tc_e_08_th_zps26d8f748.jpg.html)

blackbart
12-14-2013, 05:50 PM
Take some extra safety precautions.

SPOT
Sat Phone
Extra Food
Good decision making

It will be fun!

plumbcrazy
12-14-2013, 06:32 PM
It's rare now to be "all alone" on a fly in trip. There's always the guides and possibly 2 other charter companies willing to drop guys in ontop of you. Plan on hiking....